BC Boards

Puzzling behaviour

Tiga has recently gotten into the habit of eating cardboard. I don't know why. I can't leave anything like that around at all. He'll even go as far as opening up the recycling bag and pulling out stuff like a cereal box. He'll eat the cardboard or at least chew it up and often leave it on our bed. It's very confusing. It's not because of lack of exercise. He gets walked every morning and then in the afternoons he's either at the beach for a couple of hours running and swimming or we go for a hike. He'll get another walk in the late afternoon before we go to work. We're only at work for about 3.5 hours each evening. Then he'll go out again a couple of times before bed. When we are home he gets tons of attention and has lots of toys. What am I missing? It's getting very frustrating. I can't even leave things on the kitchen table because he'll jump up and get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, I don't have advice, sorry. My BC, Katie, used to eat anything paper. Tissues, papertowels, my son's homework. :rolleyes: I just had to make sure I didn't leave any of this stuff within her reach. I keep paper towels in my van, since I have the dogs with me a lot of the time. One day, when I got home and opened the door to let the girls out, there was shredded up paper towel everywhere! She did it so quietly, I didn't even know it. :D She was so silly.

He obviously feels strongly about recycling. Do you currently recycle? Maybe he's trying to encourage you to start...

Ollie is eco-conscious as well, so we keep stuff out of reach. It's great fun to tear cardboard apart...maybe get him excited about a more appropriate chew toy or bone and redirect to that when he starts fixating on cardboard stuff.

Oh gosh, our shepherd LOVES paper and cardboard. Cardboard he mostly just rips into tiny pieces, but paper items of any sort are eaten immediately. Never figured it out.

Wow, I'm glad Katie wasn't the only one to do that. Like you, I could never figure out why she did this!

And, YES, she really did eat my son's homework. I had to right a note to his teacher. :rolleyes:

Well I'm glad to hear that others have the same problem. But it seems that it's not just paper and cardboard now. Tonight when we got home from work, on the kitchen floor we found a pair of sunglasses, an oven mitt and an empty glass. He got them all from the kitchen table. I just find it odd because he hasn't always been like this, it's just recently. I mean there has been a lot of change for him this summer but still a little perplexing.

Mine is the biggest paper-products eatter! If he gets on the table trying to steal something, it's always the napkins before the meat :rolleyes: But if there's no napkins, he settles for the steak - as he did two days ago :D

Once he grabs the napkin, he starts running around chewing and swallowing it as fast as he can, usually heading for the bedroom, so that by the time we get to him, he tries to pretend he hasn't touched it.

He would even try to hide pieces of paper in his mouth, pretending there's nothing there, stopping any chewing until we get to do a "cavity search" and retrieve the crumpled paper from the back of his throat!

This is not puzzling. Cardboard is yummy, and easy to shred.

Puzzling is taking your dogs to the dog beach with a Chuck it, a variety of balls and a frisbee ... and Mr. Woo finding a large piece of cardboard on teh grass and preferring to play with that. For half an hour of nonstop growling, pouncing, dragging and rolling.

RDM

Puzzling is taking your dogs to the dog beach with a Chuck it, a variety of balls and a frisbee ... and Mr. Woo finding a large piece of cardboard on teh grass and preferring to play with that. For half an hour of nonstop growling, pouncing, dragging and rolling.

RDM

LOL That sounds like buying a child an expensive toy and they end up playing with the box it came in! :rolleyes:

And it's Tweed that you call Twierd, huh? :rolleyes: Bet you he doesn't do that to cardboard! LOL

No, Tweed surreptitiously steals toilet paper rolls and eats them in his crate reeeeeaaaallll quiet so no one knows what he is doing. And then he has fluffy white poops. When I point to them and say "Hey! What's that?!" he gets 'sad ears'. hahahahaha

Red Dog just unleashed a small river of pee on my floor. I wish I had taught my dogs to ask to go outside! Poor 'Roid Dog.

RDM

My guys all love to shed cardboard, and occasionally chew up little pieces and eat it. Ripping a box into a million little bits seems to satisfy some kind of destructive urge and they leave other stuff alone. My house always has bits of carboard box, t-p roll and paper towel roll all over the floor.

Is Tiga being worked mentally? His behavior might have more to do with boredom.

He does get worked mentally as well. Usually the trips to the beach are also used for training. We have lots of toys at home for him to use his mind and we're constantly interacting with him. Maybe it's just becasue of all the change he's had this summer. We've moved 3 times and we've had quite a bit of company. We're moving back home on Monday and I'm hoping that being back home will help.

On the agreement with the TP roll....I am trying the same thing with them right now going through the phase of "why wait till it's empty...."! :D Of course when I try to point out that that was the deal...they blame the kittens.... :rolleyes:

MY 2 AND I HAVE AN AGRREMENT. IF THEY DON'T SHRED THE TOILET PAPER, THEY CAN HAVW THE CORE WHEN THE ROLL IS EMPTY.

ONLY PROBLEM IS WHO GETS THE 1 CORE

I save mine! I line them up like little soldiers on the bathroom counter, and when I have a little collection, I dole them out to the waiting parties :rolleyes:

Before I wised up and started keeping the TP under the bathroom sink, I was coming home to completely unraveled rolls because kittens would sit on the toilet seat and unroll them, for fun. I had forgotten that aspect of kittens :D When Tweed was a puppy, he used to grab the end of the roll and go running through the apartment with it, essentially just TPing my home. I knew I should have stopped him, but it was too funny.

Tiga's Mom - sometimes dogs just start doing stuff, and it doesn't always have a reason. Maybe Tiga has just learned he can get up on the table, and that makes the stuff up there all the more attractive. I would never have pegged Piper for an eater of stuff, as she was always just a chewer, not an eater. And then last summer she swallowed several of her toys and blocked. We came |thisclose| to surgery. She has not eaten her toys since. I think it was because she was upset that Woo joined the household and played with all of "her" toys (my older boys don't really play with stuff) and she thought eating them would be a fine way to put a stop to that :D

RDM