BC Boards

Lost Dog

Last Tuesday a severe thunderstorm came through the Shenandoah Valley. Since then I have been living every pet lovers and rescuers nightmare...not only did we loose our computer, oven, telephone service, electricity, fans and lights, but my newest wonderful old dog, the old dog from KY(we are calling him Seann) slipped out some time in the afternoon too. I was expecting storms, so when I left for work at 2pm I closed the dogs in the house. Usually they have access to a doggy door,but I was extra cautious with the new dog in the household. My son rides a bike three miles to work, so with the impending weather, his boss sent him home by 3:45. I remember hearing the storms while I was at work and thinking, I wish someone was home with the dogs. Well someone was. That also means the dog door was in use. We have two fences between our house and the rest of the world. There is no way this dog jumped, or wedged under. He cannot even lower himself to the floor without at tremendous WHOMP. During that time we also got a delivery. Package left in detached garage.

I don't know what could have happened and I don't want to think the delivery person let the dog out, or left the farm gate open while they delivered...but sometimes they do...:^( .

Family all looked for the dog all evening, thinking he was just hiding in a barn or in the field somewhere. When I got home from work at 7pm and Mike met me at the car I new something bad had happened. Realizing we had no phone or internet....blah....I borrowed college son's cell and called the animal control for Shen co and notified friends that live north, south, east and west of New Market. The next day we had the phones by noon and I called a friend who was able to post the lost dog on a few lists. Thank you Dawn.

Within a day of Seann going missing we had reports at Shen, Page, Rockingham, Augusta counties. I have also called Warren and Frederick with report. He is listed in the lost section of the Daily News Record of H-burg this week, also the Free Press, Shen Valley Herald. and the Valley Trader(next issue).

Most businesses in town have the flyer....as well as anyone I see walking. Public Works, telephone, contruction and Fedex are notified.

This is a nightmare. I have met some very sympathetic folks and the shelters around here are wonderful. I just hope someone finds him and calls it in soon. I will send a link to my photobucket folder with his pics. Can't seem to get there from here....borrowed computer... www.photobucket.com search 2istxf8 then view folder called "seann is missing"

please look out for him and say a prayer for his safe return...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WoobiesMom

Patty,

Do you have contact info to share besides your email? My son is at JMU and I can ask him to post the info on his myspace and facebook and print up some fliers with Moses' pic on them. How would you prefer to be contacted if someone sees or finds him?

Jackie

That's terrible Patty! I'm sorry he got scared and ran off. I haven't lost a dog yet, but that has to be the worst feeling ever. My prayers are out to him, and you. Let me know if you find him.

Patty, it seems like when Rebecca's Ben was lost, someone suggested taking fliers to pizza places and asking them to stick them on pizza boxes. (I did a quick search but I don't think I went back far enough to find the old thread.) It couldn't hurt....all they could tell you is "no".

Patty, it seems like when Rebecca's Ben was lost, someone suggested taking fliers to pizza places and asking them to stick them on pizza boxes. (I did a quick search but I don't think I went back far enough to find the old thread.) It couldn't hurt....all they could tell you is "no".

Good idea!!

I hope you find him and get him home back home soon. Prayers for ya!!

Hi, thanks for the support...I have flyers around. I also post them on my car while I'm at work(Old Navy in H-burg) my phone # is 540 740 9484 at home. I have a son at JMU also. The Rockingham co animal shelter knows all his info, so if I can't be reached at home just contact them. Thanks for the link to the picture. He's wearing a red collar. Rabies tag from Frankfort KY. His license is not on his collar...my bad. I doubt he will be found wandering as far south as H-burg, but if someone picked him up and then he trots away from them, who knows. He went missing in New Market, 20 miles north.

Guest WoobiesMom

Patty,

My son reports he's printed and posted fliers around campus and his off-campus apartment complex. Please let us know if he's found! Keeping fingers crossed!

Jackie

I can keep checking shelters up here. Did you do Winchester? I know it seems far but you just never know, someone traveling might have picked him up and dropped him off in the next biggest town on the highway.

I called both shelters in Winchester, and Rappahannock County just because I know someone there. Did you check/leave a phone number with Page County?

I'm online again for a few minutes today....I want to thank all you VA folks for looking out for Seann. NO ONE has seen him yet. I got onecall from the DNR ad... a hang up call that lead nowhere... I have a hand painted sign in my front yard...everyone can see that we are tha family missing the old dog! I did get a call from someone's mobile phone...but they had seen a brown and white hound dog along the river...I reported that to our shelter.

To date I have full reports with pictures at :

Shenandoah

Page

Rockingham'

Augusta

Frederick

Warren Counties All this shelter systems are super and they are very patient with me(I call every other day)

the two local vet clinics also...

four newspapers

Again , thank you all so much for your concern and shelter calls. I am going out today to check out a neighborhood west of here and put up a few flyers. I think someone just HAS this dog.. He's such a love sponge they think they've SAVED him from something. Last Saturday I drove around as a big storm was brewing thinking he might be on the run again, but no luck. I did attract the attention of the police though...

I'll keep you all posted with any updates.

Not that this will in ANY way lessen the agony but YOU ARE NOT ALONE. M.Shirley Chong ,well known positive/

clicker trainer is missing her service dog... slipped his collar while in care of her folks....

My thoughts are with you!!!!!!!!!

I do hope her dog is found soon...this is NOT a happy place...by the way, are there any long lost but happy endings out there? Seems there was a post about an old dog missing from a foster home in WV about four weeks ago. Was he ever reunited with his family?

Had a thought... do you have any boarding kennels or breeder's kennels in your search area?

My work k9 is boarded at kennels and sometimes dogs show up in the vicinity...attracted by the noise,smell

of other dogs... anyone with multiple dogs ie hunters with a bunch of hounds.

Being in VA maybe you have foxhunters near you? Leave word and flyers with the Huntmaster.... You never

know... Even local barns that have access to any trails. Most horse folks are dog folks too...

Seems there was a post about an old dog missing from a foster home in WV about four weeks ago. Was he ever reunited with his family?

As far as I know, Bandit has not been found. He was microchipped and so if anyone finding him took him to a vet, that should have helped. His folks have run classifieds and a picture ad for quite some time and, while someone in a not-too-far-away community did find a Border Collie (or cross), it was not Bandit and I am afraid he is still missing. A very sad end to an adopted dog's story...unless they do find him safe and sound some time.

We had a German Shepherd that we adopted after she was no longer being used as a producer of potential police dog pups (please, it wasn't as bad as that sounds - she lived a happy, in-the-house life and her pups lived full lives with good homes - several were police dogs). She ran off during a thunder storm. We ran ads, searched, you name it.

Three or four months or more later, we had a terrific storm. It caught my hubby and myself out fixing fence high up on the hill and we were soaked and shivering by the time we made it out of the woods, through the fields, and down the hill road to home. While I was in the tub cleaning up and warming up, Ed heard a noise on the porch and guess who was there?

We found out later that she spent several months happily living with folks over the ridge and some miles down the road. She ran that far (as the crow flies, probably five miles, and much more mileage as she probably ran) and found a loving family who did not see/hear our ads. Somehow, in the second storm, she found her way back to us and lived with us until she died.

Some stories can have happy endings, they just take time and prayers. Some stories don't have endings, happy or otherwise, that we know about - those are the saddest ones.