BC Boards

Lost Dog

That is so sad about Bandit. I remember sending his listing to the person who originally rescued Seann, thinking maybe it was the same dog...but Sean is a heavier more black dog. No way to confuse the two.

Tonight I was out in the field pulling burrs and I kept hearing a dog barking. It is just possible that someone in the community across the highway from me (this is grasping at straws, i know) has him in their house during the day and he's out in the eve barking(but he can't really HEAR me or the dogs...)and just maybe they haven't read the papers for a week or talked to a neightbor or called the shelter....and they work all day so don't see me when I come looking for the dog in the daytime...and they never turn north on 11 and see the sign at the end of my driveway. It could happen...he's such a nice dog. Tomorrow flyers go on EVERY door in that neighborhood.

Sue that is such a great story about your GSD. I had a cat when I was a kid that was gone for months then turned up again, like nothing happened. She used to climb up the screen door and bang it like crazy! I still remember my mom yelling "SUZYCATS home!"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WoobiesMom

Oh Patty, I'm sorry Seann(Moses) hasn't shown up yet! Definitely plaster the area of the barking with fliers, you just never know. Have you checked with VDOT. I know it's a terrible thought, but better to know than not. Keeping finger, toes and paws crossed that he just shows up suddenly with a sly grin on that old muzzle of his! :rolleyes:

I do have another "feel good" story that may buoy optimism.

We had a young cat that came as a stray (don't most of them?). Underfoot was a wonderful kitten but disappeared once as a youngster. We discovered him one night, while we walked home from work, sitting on a porch about half a mile or more from our home, right along the route we walked daily.

A few months later, as he hit that "I'm a little MAN cat" age, he disappeared. We despaired as we couldn't find him. After about a month, we received a phone call. As graduate students, we weren't home very much. A young man was on the line. Underfoot (with collar and tag) had turned up at his rural home, over 10 miles away and the other side of Blacksburg/Virginia Tech!

Since the young man's family didn't have a phone (this was decades ago), he would go with his mom once a week when she came to town to do the laundry, and use the pay phone to try and call us. It took him several weeks of dedication to catch us on the phone (and, back then, who had an answering machine?). A friend lent us a car so we could go get our cat, who seemed glad to come home.

Miracles happen, but not always...

I've been keeping up with the few shelters I called.

If you need help blanketing your neighbourhood, Patti, let me know.

Here's my lost and found story...

When Paul and I were married we nursed a very very sick tortie kitten back to health. We named her Hugheart. When Paul and I seperated, I moved to another small farm closer to my oldest's school, to which I drove her every day. I took the cat with me when I moved.

I was living in that house for about a year when all of a sudden one spring the cat dissappeared. We searched high and low but at that point, even though she looked great, she was getting on in years and I honestly thought she might have gone off to die somewhere.

And then, the following fall, I took my kid back to school. And on the first day I pulled in and there was Hugheart, sitting on the playground. I was thrilled. I took her home, cleaned her up, fed her up, loved on her, Paul was thrilled to see her, we were all SOOOoooo happy.

Except, it wasn't Hugheart. Two days after Fake Hugheart came home with me, the REAL Hugheart showed up out of nowhere. I still don't know where she was.

Real Huggie lived another two years. Fake Huggie lives in the barn at my mother's house, because Paul loves her and he lives there.

Update: still no sign of this dog. It's like he's dropped off the face of the earth. Here is a link to pictures of him, I changed the name of the album...so all old links are bad. His name in the photos is Moses(or Seann).

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q288/2i...20is%20missing/

Well, today I got a phone call at 7:30 am. Someone had seen my sign. Yeah.. Did my dog look like a GSD...waaah... then about 11:30 I got another phone call, this time from a Rockingham spca referral...did I loose a BC? Yeah... sent them to my web-site, no, this dog has too much white and a freckled nose...waaah...I sent the person the link to BBCR's bandit, no, not him either. But SOMEONE'S ragged BC has been found in Rockingham county. I guess that is a good thing. Just not my good thing. I still haven't given up hope.

I so sorry he hasn't show up yet. I'll keep sending good vibes that he finds his way home to you soon.

I have gotten notice from the VDOT offices in three counties that their records show they have not picked up debris matching his description in the time he's been missing. The search goes on.

Did you call all of the local radio stations asking them to mention this on air? Sometimes they do it for free.... sometimes you have to buy the advertising time... but it's worth it.

G'luck and don't give up hope. I once dated a girl who lost her dog... 2 weeks went by with no luck and then all of a sudden the dog showed up on her porch.

Thanks everyone. I saw the fedex home delivery man across the highway this morning and took off running to try to talk to him...he may have been the last person to see the dog....but by the time I got to the road he was at the next business, then he was gone...and me running in barn boots waving a flyer...

Guest WoobiesMom

Shoot Patty! Sorry you missed him! Can you contact FEDEX and maybe find a way to email him a copy of the flier? They must have records of who was on duty that day and maybe it would be good for someone to talk to him and find out if he was responsible for an opened gate and to make sure he knows what the consequences are if he leaves it open? Just a thought. I'm keeping everything crossed for you and Seann!

Sorry that updates are not regular, I am still using a borrowed computer. Seann is listed on four of those sites you mentioned. I called two shelters yesterday and visited one. I checked out the stray "med black and white dog" that was turned into the Rockingham shelter for killing chickens. He appears to be a bc/spaniel crossI(maybe) his face looks a lot like Gael's. His behavior makes me think he escaped from a six foot tall kennel, boing, boing, boing.

All my local shelters assure me that my file will stay active for "months". Many volunteers troll pets911 and petfinders also. Every where I go I get good wishes from people and I do appreciate those on the board who keep Seann's listing current when I can't post.

I printed some new flyers with just photos, address and phone. I am so tired of relating the story, I even botched the date in one series of posts. Several unfortunate things had to happen for him to go missing. I can't be sure of any of them and it is unfair to blame the deliveryperson who may not have been involved at all...

Lots of folks honk when they drive by our place(lost dog sign on the road)...I'm hoping it is to let us know they are with us in the search for Seann.

I visited the Scottish games last Saturday in Delaplane VA and made flyers available. Donald and I hung out with the BRBCR folks and represented the BC's in the Parade of Dogs from Scotland.

Even with other family activities, a farm, and a job to keep me busy, this old dog is absorbing a lot of my emotional energies. I really need to find him soon.

P1010003.jpg

Just so you know, there are actually 3 different FedEx drivers for every area. . . FedEx Express operates completely independently from FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery - there is a separate driver for each of those branches, although sometimes Home Delivery and Ground packages can be mixed between their systems, Express packages will NEVER be delivered by Ground and vice versa.

So if you got a package and you want to contact the terminal the driver dispatched from, you'd need to go back and check to see if it was Express, Ground, or Home Delivery. You could probably then call the 800 number for FedEx customer service, and tell them you had an issue with a driver from the terminal that delivers to your house, and then ask them to connect you to somone AT that terminal and tell them there - they should have fax - they could even post your flyer inside the terminal and give it to the drivers if you fax it to them (and they're willing - I can't speak for ALL Fedex employees!)

You could probably do this anyway, just to get the word out even more.

Just so you know, there are actually 3 different FedEx drivers for every area. . . FedEx Express operates completely independently from FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery - there is a separate driver for each of those branches, although sometimes Home Delivery and Ground packages can be mixed between their systems, Express packages will NEVER be delivered by Ground and vice versa.

So if you got a package and you want to contact the terminal the driver dispatched from, you'd need to go back and check to see if it was Express, Ground, or Home Delivery. You could probably then call the 800 number for FedEx customer service, and tell them you had an issue with a driver from the terminal that delivers to your house, and then ask them to connect you to somone AT that terminal and tell them there - they should have fax - they could even post your flyer inside the terminal and give it to the drivers if you fax it to them (and they're willing - I can't speak for ALL Fedex employees!)

You could probably do this anyway, just to get the word out even more.

It was home delivery and emails have been sent and acknowledged. Fedex has "forwarded it to those most able to help". I handed out a few flyers at the National Sheepdog semi-finals on Saturday.