BC Boards

Our dog is testing us!

I am not kidding. It's not like he's pushing the limits, no, that's not what I meant. Although he does that on a regular basis. But that's not why I am writing now.

He knows the name of a gazillion of his toys. Old news. In a recent discussion with Holly's mom (on a toy thread in the Gallery) we both shared how difficult it becomes to remember the correct name for each toy, especially if there are more than one of the same kind/species :rolleyes:

I taught him how to shake a toy on command, by asking him "How do we play with *insert toy name*?". He loved the game, and took it one step further. When HE wants to play with a toy, he now brings it to us and shakes it to make us ask him "How do we play with *toy*?", then he's satisfied and shakes the toy even harder, as a "Good human!" encouragement.

Now he increased the level of difficulty of this game. He would bring us a random toy, some that he hasn't played with in months, long enough time for us (especially Chris), to have already forgotten the correct name of the toy.

So I hear Chris the other night saying "Gorilla?" "Kitty?" "Rope?" etc etc and went to find Ouzo standing with a toy on a rope and staring at Chris who was trying to guess the name of the toy. Only when I said "Pig?" (it was a pink pig head on a rope), Ouzo grinned and started to shake his head in approval. The fun continued throughout the evening, with Ouzo picking random obscure toys who haven't seen the light of the day in weeks (from the bottom of his toy basket) and testing to see if we knew the names. I then tried to call his toys "Enciclopedia?" "Television?" and other non-sense words for him, and he would only shake his head if I had the correct name!

LOL

Wonder what he's going to think next! I might not pass the next test! :D

Guest WoobiesMom

That is so cool! But I think your dog rocks anyway!

You totally need to videotape this and send it to Letterman! Ouzo will be an international superstar!!!!!

You do have Ouzo enrolled and ready to start college this fall, right?

You totally need to videotape this and send it to Letterman!

Yes! You've got to get that dog on TV - he can be a star along with Woo! Everybody would love him, and we would all be most proud of "our" Ouzo!

Guest WoobiesMom

Oh yes! Flashcards! The same way my small little brain learned spanish! Put the word on a big index card in simple block letters, a picture of said toy on the back, then show him the word first, turn over the card so he can see the pic and then tell him to go get it. I predict he'll be fetching toys based solely on the words inside of 5 days.

Your dog totally rocks!

Oh yes! Flashcards! The same way my small little brain learned spanish! Put the word on a big index card in simple block letters, a picture of said toy on the back, then show him the word first, turn over the card so he can see the pic and then tell him to go get it. I predict he'll be fetching toys based solely on the words inside of 5 days.

Your dog totally rocks!

Anda,

That's a great idea!!! You guys could really impress David Letterman with a trick like that!!!!!

Everybody would love him, and we would all be most proud of "our" Ouzo!

That's MY Ouzo!...er, I wish. :rolleyes: He's got far too much character for TV.

I'd love to get to know a dog like that in person. Kyla's pretty smart compared to the other dogs I know, but nothing like Ouzo! Not even close.

The flashcards are not a bad idea! Hmmm... I might try it. College, you say? If they have a "Eat Napkins 101" and "Move shoes around the house II", I can guarantee he will graduate Magna Cum Laude!

As for filming it, I would love to, but unfortunatly my older Canon Powershot officialy passed away last month, probably out of envy for the new Rebel :rolleyes: Unless Chris can perform another miracle and resurect the old black camera, I do not have any filming capabilities....

P.S. This morning when I got out of bed I found two shoes right next to my side of the bed, while I knew I had left them in the livingroom the night before. I think Ouzo thought he can get me to move out of bed and out for his morning walk much faster if I have the element of convenience - shoes. Unfortunatly, each shoe belonged to a different pair, and they were both left shoes :D So much for trying to fool me, Ouzo! I still have to take my shower before I take you out! Niah-niah-niah! :D

That's amazing Anda!! What a good buy Ouzo :D I keep saying these guys can't think of more ways to surprise me but they always do.

It's like the BC game show :rolleyes: