BC Boards

Sick little puppy

Anyone have any advice for shot sensativities? She has one more set to go and each time she gets quite ill; loose stool, loss of appetite, a fever (not a high fever, but it is noticable) and she gets very lazy acting... lays around with no normal want to play. This lasts around 2 days, and the vet says just watch her temperature. Anyone have any home remedies that may make her feel a bit better? Breaks my heart to see her just laying there, and knowing shes feeling miserable.

Anyone have any advice for shot sensativities? She has one more set to go and each time she gets quite ill; loose stool, loss of appetite, a fever (not a high fever, but it is noticable) and she gets very lazy acting... lays around with no normal want to play. This lasts around 2 days, and the vet says just watch her temperature. Anyone have any home remedies that may make her feel a bit better? Breaks my heart to see her just laying there, and knowing shes feeling miserable.

Have you mentioned this to your vet?

Barb S

Our dogs with shot sensitivities get them for one disease at a time - not the "cocktails." If the individual shots are spread out over a few weeks or months, they don't seem to be affected as much. Also, you need to check the latest protocols from veterinary schools, which call for less frequent vaccinations. Some vets still want to give annual shots because they are a money maker for their practices.

Let me see if I can find what I was told to give to dogs with shot sensitivity - it is homeopathic. My poodle ended up with extremely ill after his last round of vacs and we were told going to forward to give some stuff... now if I only I could remember where I filed that away

i would be carefull, my friend lost her dog because she was sensative to rabies shots. she hadn't given one in a few years but was afraid this year because of high rabies in the area so she tried it, the dogs temperature rose and never dropped. she ended up having to put her down!!

My vet doesn't seem too worried about it, as her temp isn't THAT high. It just bothers me that she lays there for ~24 and is obviously notfeeling great. The AVC (vet school here) is doing tests on the bi and tri yearly shots but they haven't been okayed in our area yet, my vet has decided to stay with the tried and true yearlies. They do 3 sets of puppy shots now and Shadow has one se left on the 22nd. My dad is a GP and suggested baby tylenol, think I may ask my vet about it, not sure on the does for a 20 lb puppy. After she got her shots yesterday, fever, high humid temps here and all.. she curled up with me on the floor and refused to leave my side, maybe I worry too much? :rolleyes:

Do NOT give her Tylenol. The only general human pain med that you should give a dog is aspirin, and I'd get the dosage from your vet.

Has she had any swelling (at the vaccination site or in her face, etc) or vomitting? What has her temperature been? If you're going by just feeling her body, you'd be surprised how sometimes they can feel like they MUST be running a temperature and not actually be doing so. And which vaccines has she had each time that she's had this sort of reaction?

Vaccine reactions can intensify with each successive vaccination. If she's had a reaction in the past, I would recommend asking the vet if it would be worth pre-treating her (usually with injectable benadryl and a steroid) before she gets the next set. Sometimes it's also a specific vaccine that she's reacting to, so it's good to take note of EXACTLY which ones she gets when she has a reaction.

Repeat::::: No Tylenol.

I will only vaccinate for distemper and parvo, and as others have said - never a big coctail. Could you ask the vet for a less inclusive vaccine? Also, I never mix rabies vaccine with anything at all. It is truly a vicious vaccine for some dogs and should be combined with no other stressors. Fortunately we can go 3 years in this area. Good luck.

Nar you don't worry too much. I hate it when anything is wrong with my doggie. Holly has been quite healthy thankfully but my other doggie was not so lucky. I hated it when she was ever poorly.

I wasn't aware of pups having reactions, i have been lucky then with both of mine as they don't seem affected at all. Thankfully though we don't need the rabies one in the UK.

I would echo what has been said already and talk to vet, i also would not give any human meds until i ok with them first.

Poor little thing, i am sure just cuddling with you is helping heaps though.

Her temps were taken rectally, there was no swelling and no vomitting, just loose stool.. lack of appetite and drinking. I gave her some SQ fluids and the 2 baby tylenol the vet said was fine (only human meds they say are okie is baby / childrens tylenol and pepto). Shes the vet I worked with (mostly) when I was a vet tech, so I trust her opinion that Shadow will be fine, but my mommy instinct kicks in and I NEED to worry and fuss. I'd heard of some homeopathic treatments to help with the allergy portion of the problem, but I can't for the life of me remeber where, was hoping some of you would know some =)

Be aware that Tylenol can cause Heinz body anemia in dogs. I also had a client accidentally kill their dog with Tylenol (five doses over three days). I avoid its use for these reasons. Never yet had a client kill their dog with appropriately dosed aspirin. Not sure that either is called for with the type of reaction you're seeing, though.

For allergic reactions (some of which can be serious), you can use Benadryl. Check with your vet for the dosage.

Even if Canada hasn't gone to the three-year protocol on vaccines, you can make the choice on your own to do so. The protocol approved in the States is a series of three in puppyhood (appx 8, 12, 16 weeks), boosters on everything one year later, and after that an every-three-year protocol with once-yearly physical exams in between (because dogs age faster than we do and can't self-report... your dog can't tell you if it's developed an arrythmia, but your vet CAN.) In the meantime, since your pup is probably still due some vaccines, see if you can get vaccines with fewer "items" included in them, and stagger them (as in, do not give rabies and 3rd distemper/parvo combo together.) FWIW, we had several younger puppies have reactions when we were giving the lepto-containing vaccine in the first two shots (8 and 12 weeks). We have since given one that is lepto-free for the first two shots, but generally give the lepto-containing one for the 3rd shot. This has appeared to limit our reactions. I should point out that lepto is not commonly seen in AK, so it's low risk up here and we MIGHT be able to skip it altogether except that it's so common for dogs to travel to lepto-positive areas.

Good luck with that and I hope your puppy gets less reactive with maturation.... many of them outgrow this problem.

If I want to get the non "cocktail" shots here I have to personally buy the entire package of the shots (thats around 100 doses) and it will cost me several hundred dollars for 99 doses to go in the trash =/ I could do it, but wouldn't be able to afford to spay Shadow for another year then. Going to phone the vet school today and see if they have any single doses I could buy, but I doubt they'll even talk to me (SPCA vs Vet college problems, I'm on the SPCA side.. trying to close them down.. see my new topic post about it if you wanna know the story!)

Pepper is severely allergic to shots (vomiting diarreah fever etc) so our vet gives her a pre-shot before every vaccine and she stays at the vet all day for observation. Now that we get the pre-shot we've never had any other incidents at all. Do you think it's possible that there's a pre-shot that might work for your dog that this vet doesn't know about? I wish I knew what it was called but you could ask your vet about something like that or maybe call around or if you like, let me know and I can call my vet and ask what they give her.

good luck, I still worry about Pepper when she goes in for shots "just in case".

Ive never seen or heard of the pre-shots being used here, but thats a good idea! I will definately ask her about it before the last shots. They let me take her home and observe her here, as I have more training than most of her staff LOL, if a dog had come into the office like this when I worked there we wouldn't have worried much... but shes MY dog! Everyone laughs at me for having a maternal instinct with her.. bah!

Thanks for the advice everyone!! :rolleyes: