BC Boards

Kinda Gross but....

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

Woobie's been acting a little wierd lately. In the past maybe 3 days, maybe once or twice each day, Woobie will suddenly twist around and start chomping at his butt hole frantically. (Sorry to be so graphic! LOL) Once, he was running in the back yard and suddenly dropped his butt to the ground and scooted, then chomped. I checked him over thoroughly and there's no fleas or ticks, skin doesn't seem irritated or anything, just the actual hole looks a little red from the chomping. It's really occassional and I get a darn good look at his stools every day at the dog park and they're fine. What do you think? Can dogs pick up worms that easily? Maybe from the dog park? Wouldn't I see them in his stool if they were present enough to cause him to hop around like that? Not sure what to think.

I also agree to see a vet. I had a rottie as a late teen and she did the same thing. She ended up having hook worms. A trip to the vet and 1 fecal sample later we got meds and we were done. If thats all it is shouldnt cost much at all. It also didnt cost much to get Rivens anal glands done either, although they said they didnt need it.

I agree with RDM. Sounds like it might be his anal glands. If it is and left untreated, they can rupture and form an abscess. Best to take him in and get it checked out. Rubbing their butt across the ground or on a rug is not normal.

Guest WoobiesMom

Oi! I don't even want to think about the anal gland issue. I'm used to my Airedale who was groomed on a regular basis and they did that nastiness for me. I'm grooming Woobs so I'm probably going to have to learn. ICK!!! Can the worms be detected right away if he's showing symptoms? Geez, I thought that was just a puppy thing, once in their life and then it's over. Are they picked up in the environment or do they get it from other dogs? Wondering about the dog park and not wanting this to become a regular thing in our lives!

I would have him checked by the vet too. Sounds like either worms or his anal glands.

They can pick up worms just about anywhere. Mostly around poop from other dogs. I kept thinking Black Jack had worms because he would scoot his butt across the ground for no reason also. But he's had worming meds since then and he was at the groomers a few months back so the whole gland thing shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I am NOT an expert, but the vet had told me (I'm foggy on details) that some words they can pick up from ingesting flea eggs (possibly a parasite on the flea egg situation?) My beagles are horrible for needing their anal glands cleaned out, I have not been able to do them myself, I would have no fear in taking them to the vet for that. If they become impacted, and it sounds like that might have happened, it will be a little painful for him. They can then abcess and get infected so definitely check it out.

A couple weeks ago I noticed Jasmine doing some exxcessive butt scootin so I called our Vets to make an appointment to bring her in,,I said she needed a badonkadonk check up :rolleyes:

It cracked the receptionist up.

It really got funny once we got there and Jasmine showed them all her new trick.

When I say "show me your badonkadonk" she will ploop her front end down and stick her butt so high in the air shes on her tip toes and generally falls over from being off balance.

Our Vet and all the staff laughed their badonkadonks off.

Jasmine even preformed her trick for the vet when he asked her to do it, first time I have ever seen the man really laugh.

Turned out she had apparently gotten stung by a bee or wasp right at the base of her tail,so was no big deal and no charge :D

They are use to her having odd incidents,,,last one was she had gotten snake bit on her nose that left an infected set of teeth marks right around the tip of her nose,some antibotics and she was fine and no longer goes snake watching around the ponds.It did teach her to swim faster cause when shes in the water and I yell "SNAKE!" that dog can flat swim her badonkadonk off to get out.

A couple weeks ago I noticed Jasmine doing some exxcessive butt scootin so I called our Vets to make an appointment to bring her in,,I said she needed a badonkadonk check up :rolleyes:

It cracked the receptionist up.

It really got funny once we got there and Jasmine showed them all her new trick.

When I say "show me your badonkadonk" she will ploop her front end down and stick her butt so high in the air shes on her tip toes and generally falls over from being off balance.

LMBO (the b would be Badonkadonk) that is greatness!

Yeah sounds like a vet trip is in order.

I went through the anal gland thing, with my last dog. But she got so bad that they actually surgically REMOVED the anal glands completely. (Messy affair).

Much easier to empty them out on a regular basis(very easy to do) if she has problems.

The only reason that my dog even had to have that surgery, was that they were filling up at an alarming rate regardless of even the vet emptying them on a regular basis. But he told me that is rare.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

The #1 cause of scooting is anal gland issues, as everyone else has mentioned. The first time I dealt with this was with my 2nd dog and he ended up having his anal glands removed. Turns out one of them had ruptured prior to me getting him which is why they caused him so many problems. Anyhow, the first time I took him to the vet I told the vet I thought he had worms because he was scooting. The vet actually told me that dogs usually don't scoot due to worms and it's almost always a sign of anal glands being full.

That being said, the rescue dogs almost ALWAYS start-a-scootin' when they get here. I just let it go for a week or so and generally once the better food kicks in it goes away. Firm stools express the anal glands naturally so once they get used to the new food the problem usually resolves itself on its own.

Guest WoobiesMom

AHA! I just knew those doggone loose stools I've been battling would cause trouble eventually! I've been able to watch him pretty close most of today and haven't seen a single chomp, bite or scoop. He had a pretty large BM at the dog park and I noticed the rice I'm adding to his food is actually starting to firm them up a bit, no worms or anything visible in the stool. I also got pretty close and checked and inspected around down there. Nothing seemed to be swollen or tender or firm to the touch around his anus, I saw the diagram online of where everything is at. I'm going to watch him and if I see anything else, I'll get him into the vet before the weekend starts.

Thanks for all the info!

Worms do not always show up in the stool though. Of course after you worm your dog they can.

For instance, I know rounds show up after you worm your dog. Erm... I had to pull a few out of Popcorn's butt(they were stuck all at once) when I had him wormed at 7 weeks old. They also showed up in his stool for a couple days.

Guest WoobiesMom

Well, it was in fact his anal gland. The right one was very full. They didn't even bother checking his stool because of the heartgard and flea regimine he's on. The nice vet tech described how I could empty them internally if I wanted (Ha! Thanks but, NO!) but said to just watch for those signs and bring him in and they could do it. For $13, I'll let them unless it becomes an issue that has to be addressed weekly or something. Praying that doesn't happen and it's just an odd thing.

Yeah... My parents dogs get their anal glands expressed every time they get groomed.... so once every few months

My one little dog does it herself. Usually when she's lying next to me on the couch *ick*

She does that maybe every couple weeks. The others must do it outside during their 'business' becuase they've never had a problem.

I can't even imagine the smell of doing it yourself. If anybody watches Dirty Jobs and saw poor Mike get it in his face, yeah, I was very glad I wasn't him right then. . . he didn't know what he was in for. . .

As already noted, firm stools seem to take care of the glands. Canned pumpkin is great for this, and they love it, AND it's really good for them. If you are feeding kibble, just stir in a half cup or so,

Anna

BorderC,

It doesn't happen to every dog. If/when it happens to one of ours, I'm afraid they would be going to the vet. They don't even like for me to brush the back of their back legs or their tails.

There's a stupid commercial for a local carpet cleaning company here. You hear a kid yell out "Hey, Mom!! Look at Spot's (or whatever the dog's name is) new trick!!" Then you see the dog scooting on his butt on the carpet. I can't help but wonder how many people are going to think this is normal behavior and not take their dog in because of that commercial????

Guest WoobiesMom

No kidding about the smell!!! They had cleaned him off when they brought him out to me and he still stunk to high heaven! I've been adding rice and pumpkin to his kibble and it seems like it's starting to help. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed this is a one time thing. Otherwise poor Woobs is going to have to get brave and deal with being bathed at the groomers so they can do that and then clean him off good afterwards.

Yes, I'm a bad dog mommy, I will not milk his butt!!! :rolleyes:

No kidding about the smell!!! They had cleaned him off when they brought him out to me and he still stunk to high heaven! I've been adding rice and pumpkin to his kibble and it seems like it's starting to help. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed this is a one time thing. Otherwise poor Woobs is going to have to get brave and deal with being bathed at the groomers so they can do that and then clean him off good afterwards.

Yes, I'm a bad dog mommy, I will not milk his butt!!! :rolleyes:

Try an antihistamine like benadryl as well. Allergies can make their sacs fill up faster.