BC Boards

Rivens bald spot

Here are better pictures. Previously I had horrible pic's lol. She doesnt scratch it that we can tell. But her hair is just coming out. It isnt red or inflamed. The vet scraped it and there was nothing bad on the test. Vet said allergies, but she isnt scratching it. The vets remedy was Benedryl... I dont want to give her that. We've tried switching her food, went from grain to raw. We add fish oil now as well. The spot is slowly becoming bigger. There is no new hair growth from it at all. Its soft and same color and feel as her normal skin. Its just bald. Ideas?

DSCN0251.jpg

DSCN0250.jpg

Guest LJS1993
Here are better pictures. Previously I had horrible pic's lol. She doesnt scratch it that we can tell. But her hair is just coming out. It isnt red or inflamed. The vet scraped it and there was nothing bad on the test. Vet said allergies, but she isnt scratching it. The vets remedy was Benedryl... I dont want to give her that. We've tried switching her food, went from grain to raw. We add fish oil now as well. The spot is slowly becoming bigger. There is no new hair growth from it at all. Its soft and same color and feel as her normal skin. Its just bald. Ideas?

DSCN0251.jpg

DSCN0250.jpg

I say if it's a respectible vet why not follow his advice? Something has to be done because whatever you are doing now obviously is not working. Those almost look like heat rash spots or something.

Guest LJS1993
Benadryl is for itching. She doesnt itch. Im with her ALL day long nearly every single day. She doesnt scratch.

Well could get a second opinion if you are completely sure Benadryl is the wrong medicine for your dog. However many allergies don't involve itching, and Benadryl usually covers multi-symptoms besides itching.

Benadryl is for any allergic reaction not just itching. It won't hurt her so why not try it?

Ok fine, I can see until I say why people will keep asking lol. My grandpa died from it ... I dont like it, I wont take it so neither will she. I dont mean that as rude as it sounded either lol

ETA:

Well could get a second opinion if you are completely sure Benadryl is the wrong medicine for your dog.

I live in Mountain Home Idaho! There are only 2 vets here. One is my landlord who recommended the Benadryl, oh and Science Diet prescription to go with it lol. The other one is the one who wouldnt help me when Rohan was bleeding in January. I will not give him a dime of my money ever again.

Guest LJS1993
Ok fine, I can see until I say why people will keep asking lol. My grandpa died from it ... I dont like it, I wont take it so neither will she. I dont mean that as rude as it sounded either lol

Is your dog allergic to Benadryl? How many people use Benadryl everyday, myself and fiance included with no ill effects?

Guest LJS1993

ETA:

I live in Mountain Home Idaho! There are only 2 vets here. One is my landlord who recommended the Benadryl, oh and Science Diet prescription to go with it lol. The other one is the one who wouldnt help me when Rohan was bleeding in January. I will not give him a dime of my money ever again.

Well you might have to make some crazy drive if you really want to check another vet out. Are you looking at more than several hours to get anywhere? Otherwise I think it would be hard for someone on here to prescribe you a solution without actually seeing the dog.

Your grandpa died from benadryl? That's awful! I don't want to push since obviously you are wary of it- but I have had to give Pasqual (papillon/peke mix) antihistamines on numerous occasions and he doesn't even get drowsy. But if oral medications of this type are not an option- what about in a topical form?

Ok, it's understandable why you'd be wary of it. Rhea started losing hair one winter for some weird reason. I figured it was dry skin so I started giving her this gravy on her food. It's called Vita Gravy. I found it at Petsmart. http://www.petpro-products.com/ She did get her hair back within a week or so. Maybe it'll help Riven. Or maybe its the shampoo you use? If you bathe her often. I use oatmeal type shampoo on mine since it's supposed to be good for their skin.

Ok, it's understandable why you'd be wary of it. Rhea started losing hair one winter for some weird reason. I figured it was dry skin so I started giving her this gravy on her food. It's called Vita Gravy. I found it at Petsmart. http://www.petpro-products.com/ She did get her hair back within a week or so. Maybe it'll help Riven. Or maybe its the shampoo you use? If you bathe her often. I use oatmeal type shampoo on mine since it's supposed to be good for their skin.

My best friend lives by a petsmart and comes out once a week, I think I'll have her grab some of that. I mean it cant hurt right? I dont bathe Riven but like twice a year. I do rinse her if she's in the river or lakes around here mostly but thats about it. Should I bathe her more?

Bathing her more often might help. Maybe there's something in the lake water that rinsing isn't getting off???? Oatmeal shampoo is good for most dogs. Of course, ours have to be different. After spending a small fortune in different shampoos, we found out Head & Shoulders works for our boys.

Sometimes weird hair loss can be doing to rubbing that area - ie; bald spot on back from rubbing against crate when getting out, elbows and chest from how they lay down and get up, etc... maybe it is something odd like that and not really a reaction just unintentional rubbing somehow...

Now dogs can get a conditional that causes hair loss but not sure what it is. I think RDM had a rescue that had it. I don't know anything about so not sure if it is worth looking into or not.

All drugs can cause a bad reaction, period. I would not fault benadryl because of a horrible incident. Just about any drug can and will kill someone unfortunately.

If you refuse to try benadryl ask for an alternative. There are many drugs out there dogs can take...

I'm not going to be much help on this but I would try that stuff from PetSmart. Does she lay on something that might be bugging her skin? Like wool in her pad maybe? Black Jack's one pad has wool on one side and he doesn't like it very much. Just an idea. I hope you figure out something that works.

P.S. If your not comfortable giving it to her then don't. I don't blame you, been there done that before.

Guest WoobiesMom

My airedale had hair loss problems off and on for most of his life, the vet thought allergies as well. A combo of oatmeal shampoo baths and the Science Diet for Sensitive Skin helped get rid of them for him. I know the Science Diet is unpopular, so maybe some other choice that's designed for sensitive skin. If she can tolerate having it covered with a gauze bandage, you could see if it's some type of contact dermatitis from something that she's coming into contact with there.

Do you feed a grain-free diet? If not, you may want to try that. Taz takes Benedryl for seasonal allergies without a problem. I also take Benedryl almost every day. It really does look like an allergy to me. Does she lay somewhere where she could be allergic to what she is laying on?

Do you feed a grain-free diet? If not, you may want to try that.

I do feed grain free. She gets raw meat and only raw meat... well the occasional hot dog.

I would look into where she is sleeping, and what you use to clean it.

She sleeps on my bed and on the couch cover. (I use regular laundry detergent..could that be it?)

Yes it could! I've heard of that in BC's. They can easily get very allergic to contact stuff, food- even seasonal pollen and grass.

As a matter of fact all of a sudden my whole family got allergic to several laundry soaps. It's like they switched all the ingredients or whatever in them. Which might also be Riven's problem. Poor girl.

Loos exactely like the allergy spot Penny had! Hers was found to be an allergy to fertilizer used on the grass in the field we played fetch in. Had a cat with the same problem too, his was a certain scent of fabric softner.... tho he was mighty cute 1/2 bald hehe. Neither of them scratched (that we saw) the fur just seemed to fall out.