BC Boards

one bc person?

So i've been having a crazy txt message morning with my fiance... I guess Bula doesn't come when he calls her....as of right now he has been looking for her for 40min. When I am home she comes right away when I call.

We do live on a big farm, but do have an e-fence for the road and neighbors house. She has been doing very well with it and respects the white flags now.

I hope he finds her soon, I hate being stuck at work!

Him and I got into the discussion that she seems to be my dog, even though he loves her just as much, feeds her, and interacts with her. Do other people have a similar situation?

He admits that he is sometimes scary and that having a sensitive dog is new to him, but he has been working very hard with her on it. He knows that he can't dominate her like labs and gsd, that its more of a mutually respect thing.

anyone else have this issue?

BCs can certainly decide where their loyalties lie.

I fed Sam, trained him ,walked him etc. and he responded to me with no hesitation unless my son told him to do something else. Then he had no doubts He was Henry's. It was very annoying Sam always made it clear that Henry came first but I was a very close second.

My poor husband however was clearly the last one to be listened to. If no one better was around then it was OK but Sam could always let you know what he thought of you :rolleyes:

It was never a problem. Fortunately he'd obey whoever was there at the time but there were some things he'd do for one of us and not the other for instance he'd lie quietly while Henry cut the grasss but had to be kept indoors if Mike touched the lawnmower.

Dale only has two of us in the house now and doesn't seem to show such strong preferences but he's still young.

Whew! Glad she is home safe and sound!

Jackson and my DH had a bit of a rocky start. Jackson was very afraid of men and while my DH was the only man he ever voluntarily walked up to, he was still skittish with his loud voice and height. My FIL is a K-9 trainer and my DH grew up with GSDs and a more assertive training style. Working with a skittish, timid dog was a big switch. DH took to using the clicker. It was a uniform sound from him to me and wasn't "gruff". Even his praise seemed a little much for Jackson at first. But the clicker was "gender-neutral" lol. But within a few months Jackson was standing at the door waiting for him to get home. Now, while Jackson is "my" dog, he won't fully relax until the entire family is home and safe.

He does have what we call "Mom days" and "dad days". Some days he will follow my husband, they cuddle on the couch, go for walks. Jackson will ignore me completely and choose my husband during our runs. Gives me a break from the "velco collie" lol. We split care and I do about 75-80% of all training. But my DH has the same "control" as I have when I'm not there. But my DH will watch me train Jack and then try to replicate it later, which I think helps.

So yes, Jackson is "my" dog deep down but mainly because he needed a lot of nurturing at first and patience with his many quirks and habits, both of which I seem to have in spades as "mom" lol.

Oh yeah BC's can be very much one person dogs.

My first BC I actually got from DH back when we were just starting to see each other .

Kate was 4 mos old... she took up with me.

I could get him to 'dogsit' and she would but fine, but if I was around she totally

ignored him.

Riven is partial to me. She loves hubby, but prefers to be with me. He says if Im gone she'll pace, whine and stare out the window. If I am anywhere and she's tied up and cant get to me she barks. If she can get to me and not anyone else she's fine. She sleeps on my side of the bed, follows me around (yes including the bathroom :rolleyes: )

Guest LJS1993

This is a very interesting topic indeed. My first BC Shadow (RIP)(MAY PEACE BE UPON HER) was very much my dog and mine alone. Our current dog Freckles really listens to my fiance and I equally. My fiance claims that she is "my dog" because Freckles is very protective of me around strange people, especially on the ranch. However last night while I was inside Blockbuster getting videos FrecklesLaLaMom (fiance) told me that some guy went near the car very quietly. Freckles was in the front seat and was ready to defend her if need be. She told me that Freckles' hackles stood up, her bark got very mean and intense. So it's obvious that she was either defending FrecklesLaLaMom, or maybe defending the property, that being the car. I think it was my fiance that he was protecting. Either way I would have to say she listens to us both equally.

Chris and I have different purposes as far as Ceana is concerned. He is here to ruff house with her, I am here to snuggle and comfort. I taught her basic obedience so she responds to my commands a little faster. If Chris tells her no though, she knows he is serious. She tested my nos a little more. This does mean that she takes correction from me better. I can say no and we continue doing whatever, just this time correctly. He says no and she is on her back. lol. I can just give her a look however and she will sit though, dad is mean but mom means business.

Popcorn is definately my dog. Most times only goes with someone if I tell him to- or order him to...lol. That's just the way he is. My husband Jeff, says he seems neurotic without me. He'll pace and whine if I leave and only Jeff is here.

Pepper on the other hand tries to divide her time between us.

smileyzookie - bula always goes into the bathroom with me, i am used to that!

maybe i'll try the clicker, never done that before. that might be an idea....

my other non bc kramer loves everyone...he is the cuddle bug, bula isn't....and he listens to either of us, or neither one of us!

You mean there are people on these boards who may not have a dog that goes to the bathroom with them? :rolleyes: But then who catches the ball when you go?

LOL!!! :D Not only does Riven follow me in, but here comes Rohan too! Then they mess with each other, then me. But as soon as I grab TP, they're both staring in front of the door like, come on, come on!!! If the door is open the cat runs out and Riven follows him, then she comes back in looking to see why I am not RIGHT behind them lol

for sure. Happy and Misty belong to ME, and its clear. I recall my mom took Happy to a flyball tourny without me once..Happy LOVES flyball, but my mom had to physicaly drag her from my side, she did not intend to go anywhere, no matter how much she wanted too, without me. same with Misty, my mom was instructing Agility classes and she wanted to take a demo dog that didnt already know Agility, so she decided to take Misty, my mom is getting all ready, grabbing treats and leashes etc.. and all my moms dogs are swarming around her jumping up and down barking...I was on a chair in the livingroom..Misty placed herself firmly beside me, and my mom was calling her and bribing her, and Misty refused to leave my side, my mom had to leash her to convince her to leave my side lol

You mean there are people on these boards who may not have a dog that goes to the bathroom with them? :rolleyes: But then who catches the ball when you go?

LOL! My sister was at my house once, and asked, "Does Buddy drink from the toilet?" I said, "No... I don't think so... why? Did you see him do it?" She said, "No, but he just went in there and started sniffing around at the toilet." I said, "Well, since you didn't let him come in, he just needs to see what you've been doing in there."

Buddy always comes in with me in the morning. He likes to sit and get his hind end rubbed. It's special bonding time. :D If he happens to miss a trip, he runs in to find out what action has happened.

Mary

Meg acts differently toward the two of us. She has a certain sweetness with DH, jumps up to his lap and puts her forehead against his, then cheek to cheek with her little tail quivering and her belly flattened against him. She climbs up on top of his belly and licks his face to wake him. With me it is a little nudge with her nose or a single kiss. I am the one that does everything for her.....including the disciplining and training.... She will usually curl up next me however, until bed time, then its on HIS side of the bed. He has to push her over. When I am not there, she sleeps on my side all stretched out the way I do.

She obeys or disobeys each of us equally.

Holly obeys me a little more than the hubby, but i think it is because she spends most of the day around me. She does follow me more too like she will be upstairs when i am there even if hubbys downstairs. So i guess she is attached to me more then. It's quite a nice feeling to be honest, makes me feel kind of special. :D

Oh and yes she too follows me to the toilet, if i shut the door she lays down outside and waits, she always has to come and take a look also when i am in the bath. She then lays down outside the open door watching until i have finished. She also watches me get dressed, never understood the fun in that for her :rolleyes:

Guest Rockie's mum

I do practically everything with Rockie, feed him, walk him, brush him and bath him when he needs it, and he spends all day with me. I even take him to all his classes! but as soon as DH walks through the front door he only has eyes for him, he also gives him a much more enthusiastic greeting than he ever gives me-but he does come with me to the toilet sometimes so I suppose I should feel honoured

Millie loves both my mom (and my grandmother), and I very much, but she is most devoted to me and does not like being separated from me at all. She stays with me and goes with me as much as possible. It's clear to see that she is my dog. Lucy's (non-BC) heart belongs to me as well but it's not as obvious at all because she loves most people, especially family and close friends of course.

Of course, they are both bathroom buddies, and my 2 kitties are as well. :rolleyes:

We have the two extremes in our girls. Ruby loves everyone! She gets very excited when someone pets and cuddles her. When she's out in public she watches people's eyes and if they look at her, she whines with excitement and wants to go get petted. She's also very affectionate with Kathy and I of course.

Meg is the opposite. She is polite to other people and will sometimes go to new poeple for petting, but she really doesn't care very much about being social. She is sweet with Kathy, but she is totally devoted to me - probably too much. She sometimes guards me from being too affectionate with Ruby, which I don't like. When I first got her out of the shelter run to take her picture almost three years ago, she latched onto me and decided I was her new person. She hasn't changed her mind since then.

Steward Robbins

I would have to say that Black Jack is very loyal to me and pretty much my dog. He'll run over to see my Dad or brother but only if I tell him to. My Mom is a close second because she walks him when I'm gone very long. But as soon as I whistle, or call him he'll come running to me over anyone else. My Mom won't take him outside when I'm gone without a leash on because she knows he would try to find me.

Molly loves the kids and is very excited when DH comes home, but everyone agrees that she is my dog. She is never more then a few feet from me, and even if I leave the room for a second, she's right behind me. Even when the hubby and kids are home, if I leave she'll whine and look for me for at least 10 minutes before calming down. I am the mom, so I do everything for her (and everyone else! :rolleyes: ), so I guess it would be natural.

She will not, however, come into the laundry room unless she thinks I'm leaving or getting food out of the garage. Maybe laundry was her job when she served her time in the pound... :D

She will not, however, come into the laundry room unless she thinks I'm leaving or getting food out of the garage. Maybe laundry was her job when she served her time in the pound... :D

Yeah Black Jack won't come into the laundry room either. I dont' know why. He hates the washing machine, even if it's off. :rolleyes:

"how many BC's does it take to do a load of laundry? None, they make their human do it" :D:D

From the Northern California BC Rescue page:

"A BORDER COLLIE IS NOT FOR YOU IF:

You don't want to spend a significant amount of time doing "dog" stuff daily.

You don't like going outside (in all weather).

You have several young children.

You are a couch potato.

You throw a tennis ball like a girl.

You don't like getting dirty.

You can only think of SIT, DOWN, and STAY to teach your dog.

You want a dog to stay in your house and backyard only.

You care deeply about your landscaped yard and flowerbeds.

You care deeply about your expensive matching furniture.

You like going to the bathroom alone."

:rolleyes:

You like going to the bathroom alone.

lol. Lance follows me everywhere. Including the bathroom. I dont mind, plus when I leave him outside he'll either sniff at the bottom of the door or just open it. Cause we have a lever style door handle thats easy to open. And it cant be locked. Even if he's in the living room with a gate, he'll clear it and be in the bathroom before I am. When I've moved him back out he'll give me that look like in my sig. Once that bathroom doors closed as far as he's concerned I might be jumping out the window and going somewhere without him.

Lance really likes anyone he doesn't see all the time though. So when friends come over he usually follows them around cause they make him do tricks and throw his ball the whole time. And when my mom is over, which is a lot, he's usually glued to her. Unless she ignores him. She comes over to use the DSL and gets focused on that and then he comes and pouts at me, wondering why she doesn't like him anymore or something.

The nice thing is that his recall is 100% now. If I let him off with someone at my place all it takes is a quick whistle and he's back as quick as he can. Even if he's outside and I'm inside. And if I tell him to stay he wont leave the spot till I say it's ok. Which I dont do in the bathroom situation because I dont care if he's in there. He just lays down. I'd rather know where he is anyway, even if I have confidence that he will stay where I ask him to.