BC Boards

Second Dog (Border Compatibility)

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

Okay guys back to this thread again. FrecklesLaLaMom wants to badly adopt a dog from the shelter at which she is employed. The dog is a six month old female BC/Aussie/Shepherd mix, or at least that's what the people at the shelter say it is. My fiance has fallen completely in love with this dog whom she has named "Strawberry" since she is a " red blonde". I would love to get another dog however I feel there may be problems since both are females and young. I was kind of hoping to get a small male BC pup for our next addition, however she has fallen head over heals for this dog. Input? Could two females, Freckles being nine months and the adoptee being six actually work out? We both know the extra financial and time considerations involved, so that is being discussed. Feel free to add your input. Thank you.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LJS1993,

I don't see anything wrong with it. If a dog and cat can grow up together, why can't 2 females? Our next door neighbor had 2 female GS's who were 2 yrs apart in age and they got along.

I think it would have to do more with personalities. 2 alpha dogs will not get along as well as 1 alpha and one omega. Is there some way you can introduce them to each other and see how they play together?

Guest LJS1993
LJS1993,

I don't see anything wrong with it. If a dog and cat can grow up together, why can't 2 females? Our next door neighbor had 2 female GS's who were 2 yrs apart in age and they got along.

I think it would have to do more with personalities. 2 alpha dogs will not get along as well as 1 alpha and one omega. Is there some way you can introduce them to each other and see how they play together?

Yes we are going to set up a meeting on neutral turf to see how they interact. Though this is my second BC I consider myself a rookie, so input is and has been greatly appreciated. Also, as you guys can tell from my previous remarks, this adoption would be a much sooner than anticipated addition to our pack.

I know you mentioned you're back to BCs and BC mixes, but I just had to chime in about the sport breeds....don't do it!!

We have a lab/weim cross and I've never met a more stubborn, OCD dog. How she's managed to survive the last 7 years, I'll never know. Weims are bred to work all day long in the field and it is nearly impossible to wear them out. And as was mentioned, this is similar to BCs except that weims (at least our mix girl) have none of the brains and willingness to listen that would make their energy level easier to manage.

Also wanted to respond to the question about males vs. females and second what was said about it depending on the dog. I have 3 females, but only one (the lab/weim of course) is an alpha and she readily accepted the two less dominant females and they all get along great and are pretty much inseparable. I've had some alpha female fosters though, and that definitely didn't work (i.e. there was bloodshed, some mine).

So, if you guys fall for a dog and Freckles likes her, and you can get a pretty good idea of the dynamic (to ensure both are not alpha), I think you should go for it!!! The best dog IMHO is the one that you just can't leave the shelter without!!!!

Don't worry about the timing. Once you get thru the puppy stage, IMO 2 dogs are easier to care for than one. They'll have each other to play with and get tired. And we all know a tired pup/dog is a happy dog! Sometimes I take both boys out at the same time to play frisbee, sometimes just one at a time. I found out they can only play one at a time when it comes to playing tetherball. They learned how to team up and 'kill' the ball!

Also, you guys can take both to classes at the same time (if financially possible) and rotate dogs. Your dogs will bond with (more) the person who gives them more command time.

FYI-It's easier to handle 2 dogs on a coupler attached to a retractable leash than 2 separate leashes.

One thing to watch for, which I didn't notice with my two ( I had another one that was a foster gone bad gone good (long story)) is that while I thought they were getting along GREAT which they did, they REALLY really needed their space.... after going to his new home, lil wicket/petey/whateverhisfrickinnameis will have nothing to do with Shelby. because while I thought they were playing nicely, I now realize that they weren't really playing that well.... Shelby was forcing him to "play" roughly and he really didn't like it, but couldn't get away from her.... my dog is a bitch ...... but I love her, she just prefers to be in charge of the other dogs in the house,

so remember to think with your head and not your heart like I did.

"they REALLY really needed their space"

You're right. Having their own space/crate is essential. Jake is more energetic than JJ. Anytime JJ gets tired of Jake grabbing his tail and playing tug-o-war with it, he just gets up and goes to his crate. Jake respects JJ's space/crate so he doesn't follow and continue teasing JJ.

When we adopted Jake, we didn't want JJ to feel like we got a 'replacement' so anytime possible, JJ goes first.....He gets his food bowl first, he goes out the door first, he gets the ball/frisbee thrown to him first, etc. They might seem like small, umimportant steps to us but in a dog's world the leader of the pack goes first.

Even though you're not really considering sporting breeds anymore, I thought I would chime in with my experiences. Right now I have a lab, a setter mix, and my ACD mix. Sporting breeds are completely different....

BUT, they are not dumb. They are generally happy, goofy, and act clueless.....but they aren't dumb by any means. They are just not as focused on pleasing (except perhaps a Golden Retriever....even Labs are more stubborn than a Golden).

If you want a dog that can go on off-leash walks and can go everywhere with you, I've vote BC or Aussie. IME, the sporting breeds require a lot of "management." My lab can't go anywhere where people might have food (like picnics or cookouts) because he is a BEAST - he will beat people up and take all their edibles. Herding breeds might steal, but I doubt they body slam their victims and make off with everything. I envision a BC as more of a sneak-thief.

Anyway, sporting breeds are more blatant, physical, bouncy, food-driven, and I've never met a "serious" one. Also, they're more likely to run off when they're off-leash because they were bred to work hundreds of yards away from their handlers. BCs do outruns....but they bring the sheep BACK.

Those were my fragmented thoughts on sporting breeds. I like both groups though.....

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

she isnt red blond she is STRAWBERRY blond. :D I adore her. The owner who turned her in said she is a mutt of mutts

shep/bc/auss/cattle(maybe)goldenX. One of the tech's says she's a dingo mix. Aside from the ears (which arent quite dingo-y) and her color...I dont see dingo. They (strawberry and freck) will meet on neutral ground. If they hate eachother than no fruity dog for me :D(cry) I've never looked at an animal and NEEDED to take it home before. There have been animals that I really really really really liked but this dog....I dont know what it is about her. I look dogs over ALLLLLL day long...they never look me in the eye they look through me almost...she looked dead at me...and came to me with her tail tucked and her ears WAYYY down (they're airplainy) she stayed at my side even when her owner (who was in tears about bring her blahblahblah) was RIGHT there trying to say good bye. I :rolleyes: this dog. I so hope freck likes her...she's 'available in two days'

she isnt red blond she is STRAWBERRY blond. :rolleyes: I adore her. The owner who turned her in said she is a mutt of mutts

shep/bc/auss/cattle(maybe)goldenX. One of the tech's says she's a dingo mix. Aside from the ears (which arent quite dingo-y) and her color...I dont see dingo. ....

You haven't taken any pictures of her yet? That sounds so much my (soon-to-be) foster (failure).

HMBgrin.jpg

people have guessed all of the above for her mix (plus basenji, husky, and pit), so I'm always curious about guesses for similar-looking pups. In any case, sorry for the thread-jack, and best of luck with her!

Could two females, Freckles being nine months and the adoptee being six actually work out? We both know the extra financial and time considerations involved, so that is being discussed. Feel free to add your input. Thank you.

I have two female dogs. One was 2 when we got the other and they have been best friends almost from the beginning. They are 11 and 9 now and they are inseparable. They eat together, sleep together, play together, and when my 11 year old had to have surgery a few years ago, the 9 year old was out of her mind until she came home. The only thing they fight over is the front seat of my car and once in a while a bone if one finishes hers before the other and thinks she should have more.

They are both Aussie's though I am not sure being the same breed has anything to do with it.

I am bringing a new 6 mo. old male BC puppy home Friday so it should be interesting to see how they respond to him.

Good luck, I will be anxious to hear how it works out.

You go, girl!! Don't raise Freckles as an only child!

But at the same time, don't let Freckles feel like she's being 'replaced'. (Re: earlier post.) Jake worships the ground JJ walks on and JJ does not like for us to reprimand Jake. JJ will literally get in our face if/when we correct Jake. (DH ended up with JJ's nose in his mouth one time.) :rolleyes:

Good luck with the meeting! We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed for you.

See, now I'm glad my dh doesn't frequent these boards, nothing healthier then using boards against each other. :rolleyes: I feel like a kid in the middle of my parents bickering. (I'm kidding of course)

By the way go for the pup, she's killing me with cuteness.

--Denise

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
See, now I'm glad my dh doesn't frequent these boards, nothing healthier then using boards against each other. :D I feel like a kid in the middle of my parents bickering. (I'm kidding of course)

By the way go for the pup, she's killing me with cuteness.

--Denise

ISNT SHE THOUGH???? I love her!! :rolleyes: He said...well lets see what they say....and ya'll have said...so I NEED her!!!!

The owner who turned her in said she is a mutt of mutts shep/bc/auss/cattle(maybe)goldenX.

I guess she could be. I don't see traits of any of those dogs in her, though. Maybe it's just the pictures, but she looks like a pittie puppy to me (in my very un-expert opinion...and the pics aren't great, either). Cute as can be, no matter what she is! I hope the meeting goes well.

I guess she could be. I don't see traits of any of those dogs in her, though. Maybe it's just the pictures, but she looks like a pittie puppy to me (in my very un-expert opinion...and the pics aren't great, either).

Funny you say that, as I was just thinking about saying the same thing. I think she is a little narrow to be a pitty pup, but she could be part pit. As for BC / Aussie / Shepherd ... no way.

RDM