BC Boards

Second Dog (Border Compatibility)

Guest LJS1993

I still am pessimistic about harmony between dogs

After having one dog for a couple of years, then adding a second, and then a year later adding a third, let me tell you, I'll never have a "singleton" again. I now firmly believe dogs are meant to have dog family to hang with. :rolleyes: And, I brought the third dog in, knowing that my second is reactive at best/aggressive at worst, with most other dogs. All three are best buds and I think that dogs need that.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LJS1993
You're pessimistic about pack animals getting along harmoniously?

Dogs evolved from wild canids who are cooperative carnivores that form strong familial ties. Plus, most people on these boards have 2 or more dogs. Some have a reasonable and sane number (like, say, 4)(I don't need to convince myself of anything thankyouverymuch!!) and others have many more than that, and they live together relatively peacefully. I think that's a pretty good representative sample, don't you?

RDM

I'm mostly pessimistic about female getting along with female. I do believe though, when I am thinking logically and intelligently mind you, that as pack animals they need other canines in their lives. So yes I concur.

Really all you are looking for is a balance in temperament! and everything wil go good (hopefully) but say freckles is a very wound up dog, it wouldn't do you well to get another wound up dog... or if freckles is an attention hog, get a dog that doesn't mind being in the back ground or side kick :rolleyes: just keep a balance

Guest LJS1993
Really all you are looking for is a balance in temperament! and everything wil go good (hopefully) but say freckles is a very wound up dog, it wouldn't do you well to get another wound up dog... or if freckles is an attention hog, get a dog that doesn't mind being in the back ground or side kick :rolleyes: just keep a balance

Well I need to meet this "Strawberry" to see what feel I get for her. Freckles is very posessive of me for some reason. She is a very high strung little dog in many ways. Maybe I will see "Strawberry" when I go pick my fiance from work.

I've been led to believe that beyond individual personality clashes which might cause friction even between a male-female pair, simply owning two females of similar age isn't really a definite problem, especially if one or more are spayed.

Something to consider, at least!

Good luck :rolleyes:

-Jen

Guest LJS1993
I've been led to believe that beyond individual personality clashes which might cause friction even between a male-female pair, simply owning two females of similar age isn't really a definite problem, especially if one or more are spayed.

Something to consider, at least!

Good luck :rolleyes:

-Jen

True, true. So far everyone is giving great advice on this topic. It is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LJS1993

Okay guys, to give you an update on this issue we will have Freckles meet "Pumpkin Doodle loo" very soon. In fact they are slated to meet within the next couple of weeks. If all goes well we will be adding her to the pack. For those, including myself, who thought she had some pit in her, we were mistaken. After meeting the dog a couple of days ago I can tell you she is a mutt of all mutts. Furthermore, I have met a little male Aussie that I really like at the shelter also. If Freckles and Pumpkin do not work out, we will be adding him to the pack for sure.

"Pumpkin Doodle loo" is that anything like a Borderdoodle loo? or a Labradoodle loo?

Seriously, I hope everything goes well with Pumpkin and Freckles. Or the Aussie and Freckles. What color is the Aussie? Is Freckles part Aussie? Please don't be offended if she isn't (like there is anything about an Aussie that is offensive anyways!) :rolleyes: She just looks like she has more of an Aussie stocky body in her pictures. Of course, she could just be like me where the camera puts on about 35 pounds!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Except for my parent's lab, all of my BCs tend to hate labs and Aussies... they LOOOOOOVE my trainers Dobie though. I am in full agreement with the "sniff sniff, care to have some more fun?" type of picking rather than you making the final decision...

Good luck!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang
Some have a reasonable and sane number (like, say, 4)(I don't need to convince myself of anything thankyouverymuch!!)

Or, say, 8...

Guest LJS1993
Okay guys, to give you an update on this issue we will have Freckles meet "Pumpkin Doodle loo" very soon. In fact they are slated to meet within the next couple of weeks. If all goes well we will be adding her to the pack. For those, including myself, who thought she had some pit in her, we were mistaken. After meeting the dog a couple of days ago I can tell you she is a mutt of all mutts. Furthermore, I have met a little male Aussie that I really like at the shelter also. If Freckles and Pumpkin do not work out, we will be adding him to the pack for sure.

Nope she is pure BC. She looks alot more muscular/bigger in the pics. In fact she went to the vet recently for chipping and weighed in at roughly 35lbs.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

We have no idea what pumpkin is. The lady that turned her in told me that she was 'acd/lab/BC/somethingorother X' She looks nothing like any of those and has a coat like a weimie....'cept she's orange, she has airplaney ears, a long skinny tail and skinnyish (like BC) muzzle.... anyway I call her Strawberry...cause she's strawberry blond. And pumpkin cause of the orange. When I talk to her I say HI Pumpkin Doodle! Then the rooster crowed in the background so it became Pumpkin doodle Loo :rolleyes: I call her DooLoo also. He didnt mention that if she doesnt like EITHER dog there is an ORANGE MERLE aussie/acd x that I love too. The aussie he found is a tri blue merle

Guest LJS1993
We have no idea what pumpkin is. The lady that turned her in told me that she was 'acd/lab/BC/somethingorother X' She looks nothing like any of those and has a coat like a weimie....'cept she's orange, she has airplaney ears, a long skinny tail and skinnyish (like BC) muzzle.... anyway I call her Strawberry...cause she's strawberry blond. And pumpkin cause of the orange. When I talk to her I say HI Pumpkin Doodle! Then the rooster crowed in the background so it became Pumpkin doodle Loo :D I call her DooLoo also. He didnt mention that if she doesnt like EITHER dog there is an ORANGE MERLE aussie/acd x that I love too. The aussie he found is a tri blue merle

Great now she wants a cattle dog!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Guest LJS1993
I call the ausshepCD X 'Sunshine'

See guys, she is like one of those kids who falls in love and names the dogs before they are even home. :rolleyes:

So...I SHOULDNT tell them that you helped name Tucker...the aussie...right?

Oh this is better then soap opera,,

"And stay tuned, next week on AS THE TAIL WAGS,,,

The meeting is set up, it's a Blind Date of sorts,, Will Freckles Wag First???

Who will be first to share a squeaky? Will Strawberry be accepted? OR Does Tucker have the magic potion to turn the tables? "

Can't wait for the next chapter,,,

Pia

Guest LJS1993
Oh this is better then soap opera,,

"And stay tuned, next week on AS THE TAIL WAGS,,,

The meeting is set up, it's a Blind Date of sorts,, Will Freckles Wag First???

Who will be first to share a squeaky? Will Strawberry be accepted? OR Does Tucker have the magic potion to turn the tables? "

Can't wait for the next chapter,,,

Pia

I think "Tucker" as he has been named definately has the right magic. :rolleyes:

I think Dooloo or SD (Sunshinedrop) have it too

OH PERFECT!

Just when you think you know the next episode, AHHA! a new character STEALS :D the SHOW

I wait with Baited :rolleyes: (Puppy dog ) breath,,,,,

Pia

Guest LJS1993
OH PERFECT!

Just when you think you know the next episode, AHHA! a new character STEALS :D the SHOW

I wait with Baited :rolleyes: (Puppy dog ) breath,,,,,

Pia

Only God knows what other dog we will end up with.