Second Dog (Border Compatibility)

Guest LJS1993

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WoobiesMom

^^^^^

Ok, here's your hugs, your pats on the back, and a congrats on the huge conglomeration of animals you're about to acquire! :D:D:D:rolleyes:

How long has she worked at this job???

Oh boy.... you are in so much trouble!!!!

Guest LJS1993
^^^^^

Ok, here's your hugs, your pats on the back, and a congrats on the huge conglomeration of animals you're about to acquire! :D:D:D:rolleyes:

How long has she worked at this job???

Oh boy.... you are in so much trouble!!!!

No kidding, I was warned about this. She has been there a couple of weeks!!!!!!!!!!!! You know, the thing is I wanted to get a little red or blue merle male BC to be with Freckles. Hmmmmm, I have to mull this over deeply.

You know I thought the same thing when I saw her pics. I really wanted to keep my pack BC.

I'm the same way but if everyone felt like that, bc's would be the only dogs. All dogs need a loving home no matter what breed they are. Sounds to me like your future wife is a very compassionate and loving person.

Guest LJS1993
I'm the same way but if everyone felt like that, bc's would be the only dogs. All dogs need a loving home no matter what breed they are. Sounds to me like your future wife is a very compassionate and loving person.

Yes she is an animal magnet that's for sure. Even after she was bitten by those cats she still kept a positive attitude. I know all dogs need a good home and feel quite sad when I see all those dogs at the shelter. I'm just so much in love with BC's and have to really think about having three dogs. Hmmmmmm, we will see what happens.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

splitting your attention should be second nature...we arent talking about 25 idiot freshman...we're talking about 3 dogs. No prob papi. They'll all get enough attention

Guest WoobiesMom
...we arent talking about 25 idiot freshman...we're talking about 3 dogs. No prob papi. They'll all get enough attention

That's what they all say, right before they move to the country, buy farms and start researching sheep and duck breeds.......

:rolleyes::D:D:D

ok, hypothetically speaking. Say you are thinking of another dog, but your girlfriend, that lives with you, wants some strange breed of dog that you dont want. Would you wait until she is gone for a month in August and then bring home the great, been lookin at him for months, rescue BC for her to be surprised by when she gets back? Since you know she'll love him!

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
That's what they all say, right before they move to the country, buy farms and start researching sheep and duck breeds.......

:D:D:D:D

THAT would be my mom.....she wants ducks and chickens and miniature donkeys :rolleyes: He's got a few years ahead of him yet till I'm totally like her

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
ok, hypothetically speaking. Say you are thinking of another dog, but your girlfriend, that lives with you, wants some strange breed of dog that you dont want. Would you wait until she is gone for a month in August and then bring home the great, been lookin at him for months, rescue BC for her to be surprised by when she gets back? Since you know she'll love him!

Ok so maybe I'm retarded....but I dont understand what you are trying to say?

Guest LJS1993
splitting your attention should be second nature...we arent talking about 25 idiot freshman...we're talking about 3 dogs. No prob papi. They'll all get enough attention

Actually I teach 30 Freshmen thank you very much. Yes, my multi-attention skills are good, but still, could be challenging. At the same time I do want to socialize Freckles for the arrival of my male blue or red merle down the road.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

by the time that happens she is gonna be too old to bring another dog onto the property smoothly. Just because your aunt believes that two dogs can never be together doesnt mean it's ACTUALLY true. Three dogs....pluck'm If we want three dogs we should get three dogs. By the time we have three....it'll be a different situation. I'll get you what ever your heart desires when its time to get you your merle

:rolleyes::D:D:D

I was thinking it might be a good idea to buy stock in a flying disc company.......

"we arent talking about 25 idiot freshman...we're talking about 3 dogs. No prob papi. They'll all get enough attention"

3 dogs???? :D We'll see.....

Ok so maybe I'm retarded....but I dont understand what you are trying to say?

no that was a legitimate question that I thought Id ask. I was coincidering getting a dog while my GF was away. It wasn't directed at your search for a dog. But fits within the thread pretty well I thought. It most likely a bad idea. I just want to get another BC really bad. And she wants a different breed. She wants a siberian husky or malamute. Im pretty sure we'll end up with another Border Collie anyways.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
no that was a legitimate question that I thought Id ask. I was coincidering getting a dog while my GF was away. It wasn't directed at your search for a dog. But fits within the thread pretty well I thought.

Hm...would worry that you'd wake up with your eyebrows shaved off since she didnt get her way....or I'm just evil :rolleyes: (no i've never shaved my fiance's eyebrows off...or even considered it)

Hm...would worry that you'd wake up with your eyebrows shaved off since she didnt get her way....or I'm just evil :rolleyes: (no i've never shaved my fiance's eyebrows off...or even considered it)

definitely something to think about. She can be mean lol

Just thought I would speak up and say,

If you are hoping to minimize your chances of conflict, it is generally a poor idea to get two female dogs of roughly the same age, size and dominance. The dominance won't show itself for quite awhile till the honeymoon period is over and you are both completely smitten. My two have inter-dog aggression, bitch fights don't end with out intervention or serious injury. you could search on inter-dog agression and see some of the issues I have had to deal with and see if this is something you would be able to deal with. My two were fine with each other for 4 years until it started. Just thought I would mention it as no one else has. It may be better to grab a male for the sake of domestic peace.

Sara

I have 2 girls and a boy, Archie and Edith are 12, and brother-sister beagles, Lily is 1. I agree with the above poster that you can have issues with the girl-fights (we do) however they ARE handleable with space. And dogs are as individual as people. Archie and Edith have the same spats -- Edith likes to bite his head off to let him know she's just crazy enough that he doesn't want to mess with her from time to time. Now edie and Lily took 6 months to know where they stand with each other. But now they are fine now Lily and Archie like to explore together and have a new friendship- just not play.

One of the things that the op is doing right in my humble opinion is bringing in a pup, while freckles has the ability to play still in her. we did not have that here, and it was sad for a while watching lily try to play with 2 old pups that had no desire. (Kinda like brining my kids to my mom and dads).

But my point is, it can work and it does seem as though the op has plenty of room to give the two girls their own space which helps immenseley with two bitchy broads.

--Denise

You know you want her LJS1993 :rolleyes: and maybe after your one year anniversary present you can ask for your Merle eh?

Guest LJS1993
You know you want her LJS1993 :rolleyes: and maybe after your one year anniversary present you can ask for your Merle eh?

Someone in my family asked me why I want another dog? Specifically why another BC. I told them, "why not, they are fun and I love them". Some people just don't understand.

its ok, most of my friends and family just don't understand why I love BC's so much. and can't figure out why I want another mutt (or purebred, I will be getting a rescue dog.... maybe I will try to get one from Mr.Snappy when the time comes in a few years) but they all think I'm nuts, and don't seem to think I can handle a bc very well..... (they really haven't met my very well trained dog yet, who can kick all their dogs ass when it comes to behaving) :rolleyes::D

Guest LJS1993
its ok, most of my friends and family just don't understand why I love BC's so much. and can't figure out why I want another mutt (or purebred, I will be getting a rescue dog.... maybe I will try to get one from Mr.Snappy when the time comes in a few years) but they all think I'm nuts, and don't seem to think I can handle a bc very well..... (they really haven't met my very well trained dog yet, who can kick all their dogs ass when it comes to behaving) :rolleyes::D

Well my situation is I have a family who loves dogs but has certain beliefs about them. One is they never socialize their dogs with each other. Many in my family feel that dogs always fight no matter what, which sometimes rubs off on me. Two, they don't understand why someone would want a companion for their dog. I have educated myself to let go of these beliefs, however sometimes I still am pessimistic about harmony between dogs, especially two females.

however sometimes I still am pessimistic about harmony between dogs

You're pessimistic about pack animals getting along harmoniously?

Dogs evolved from wild canids who are cooperative carnivores that form strong familial ties. Plus, most people on these boards have 2 or more dogs. Some have a reasonable and sane number (like, say, 4)(I don't need to convince myself of anything thankyouverymuch!!) and others have many more than that, and they live together relatively peacefully. I think that's a pretty good representative sample, don't you?

RDM