BC Boards

Second Dog (Border Compatibility)

Guest LJS1993

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
The newest in the running is a two year old Visla named Cooper! We shall meet the dogs tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Cooper has been knocked out of the running....we fear he'll eat the cat. Tucker is on hold by another family...we are second in line. So we're (solidly) down to DoS and Dooloo

Cooper has been knocked out of the running....we fear he'll eat the cat.
That's a real problem with that entire run of gundogs... Wiemies, GSPs, Vizslas, and so on - They're hunting dogs, and they will hunt. All are good with cats with whom they've been raised, but strange cats are simply bait. My GSP, Ty, was pure death on barn cats, if he could get them. OTOH, house cats, no problem. He was also pure death on pretty much anthing else that looked like lunch - Blue Jays, especially. The jays would 'bomb' him, thinking he was at the edge of his reach, but he'd set them up, retreating a little by little, until the birds were bombing him a good six feet inside his run. Then he'd eat a dozen or so. Lather, rinse, repeat.

As a gun dog, he couldn't be beat. As a family dog, ditto. As a guard dog, he was beyond superior. As a playmate to other well-socialized dogs, quite good. But to strange beasts or ill-behaved dogs? Danger Danger Will Robinson!

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
That's a real problem with that entire run of gundogs... Wiemies, GSPs, Vizslas, and so on - They're hunting dogs, and they will hunt. All are good with cats with whom they've been raised, but strange cats are simply bait. My GSP, Ty, was pure death on barn cats, if he could get them. OTOH, house cats, no problem. He was also pure death on pretty much anthing else that looked like lunch - Blue Jays, especially. The jays would 'bomb' him, thinking he was at the edge of his reach, but he'd set them up, retreating a little by little, until the birds were bombing him a good six feet inside his run. Then he'd eat a dozen or so. Lather, rinse, repeat.

As a gun dog, he couldn't be beat. As a family dog, ditto. As a guard dog, he was beyond superior. As a playmate to other well-socialized dogs, quite good. But to strange beasts or ill-behaved dogs? Danger Danger Will Robinson!

Yah, we read that, but being that he's already two...he hasnt been raised with Smog..we dont wanna set him up for failure and set smog up to die.

Yah, we read that, but being that he's already two...he hasnt been raised with Smog..we dont wanna set him up for failure and set smog up to die.
Err on the side of caution. A two year-old would be unlikely to bond right away with Smog. And by the time he did bond, well... too many chances for tragedy. Better play it safe.

Guest LJS1993
Err on the side of caution. A two year-old would be unlikely to bond right away with Smog. And by the time he did bond, well... too many chances for tragedy. Better play it safe.

You mean by the time he did bond with poor little Smog the cat about eight of nine lives would have been used? :rolleyes::D If I was to get that kind of dog it would have to be as a pup.

You mean by the time he did bond with poor little Smog the cat about eight of nine lives would have been used?
Er... Yes. Not to mention the effect on any quantity of grey hairs you might posses...

If I was to get that kind of dog it would have to be as a pup.
Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it.

Guest LJS1993

Update:

Sunday I am heading up to a ranch to go see a ten week old male blue merle. My fiance and myself have planned to take Freckles with us to see how she reacts to him. I certainly hope she makes me proud and is okay with him. However I'm not expecting much considering she will be nervous and out of place. I really want to get him, however I'm still logically thinking things through and will take this one step at a time. Furthermore, I have this feeling I might be having a total of three dogs before the summer is over.

Guest LJS1993
Freckles might surprise you. Her maternal instinct might kick in since he's only 10 weeks old.

I don't know though, she is a pup herself. It would be weird seeing her acting maternal with him. I would be very happy, however I'm one of those "worst case scenario" kind of guys. I hope for the best but expect the worst.

It has taken Clover a good 10 weeks for her maternal instinct to kick in. She was real ugly to the puppies at first and had to be on 100% constant supervision. Now at 19 weeks old Zena runs around with her head in Clover's mouth whenever she can.

To help you picture this, think of Clover panting or having her mouth open and Zena doing her best to imitate a baby bird and stick her head as far as she can into Clover's mouth and wiggle around excitedly in front of her. Clover just let's her do it until she's had enough and then will lift a corner of her lip and/or gently change the positioning of her mouth to let Zena know she's "done". It's the cutest, sweetest, most ADORIBLE thing to watch. Zena worships Clover like nothing else.

Clover's only a year old so she's probably fairly close to Freckles as far as that goes. Pepper is a very maternal dog as it is and has adopted all the puppies (including Clover when she was a pup) as her own immediately.

So, keep in mind... if Clover can come around, then even if Freckles isn't immediately in love with the other puppy, she might too :rolleyes:

Guest LJS1993
It has taken Clover a good 10 weeks for her maternal instinct to kick in. She was real ugly to the puppies at first and had to be on 100% constant supervision. Now at 19 weeks old Zena runs around with her head in Clover's mouth whenever she can.

To help you picture this, think of Clover panting or having her mouth open and Zena doing her best to imitate a baby bird and stick her head as far as she can into Clover's mouth and wiggle around excitedly in front of her. Clover just let's her do it until she's had enough and then will lift a corner of her lip and/or gently change the positioning of her mouth to let Zena know she's "done". It's the cutest, sweetest, most ADORIBLE thing to watch. Zena worships Clover like nothing else.

Clover's only a year old so she's probably fairly close to Freckles as far as that goes. Pepper is a very maternal dog as it is and has adopted all the puppies (including Clover when she was a pup) as her own immediately.

So, keep in mind... if Clover can come around, then even if Freckles isn't immediately in love with the other puppy, she might too :rolleyes:

That is good to hear. I almost think taking Freckles may be detrimental to the whole experience considering how stressed she might be. However, it would be a good gauge in regards to her attitude towards the merle pup.

Guest WoobiesMom

Have fun tomorrow. If it's right, you'll know it. Just don't get too attached to the "idea" before you meet the dog. You never know where or how the next perfect pack member will appear.

Guest LJS1993
Have fun tomorrow. If it's right, you'll know it. Just don't get too attached to the "idea" before you meet the dog. You never know where or how the next perfect pack member will appear.

Yes, it was weird how the other dog, "Pumpkin" was aggressive to Freckles. I know someone more skilled probably could have worked it, but I don't feel we are at that level. Tomorrow we go to meet the ten week old.

Guest LJS1993
Any updates?

Yup we had a great time out in Adelanto!!!! We picked up our newest addition. Like stated earlier, he is a blue merle male. It was a blast introducing Freckles to sheep, Freckles meeting our pup and another old male BC who she liked. It was like BC world at this guy's house. He said Freckles has a very natural "eye" and would be a good working dog if that was what we needed. However, I'm happy with her just being my other girl. :rolleyes:

Yup we had a great time out in Adelanto!!!! We picked up our newest addition. Like stated earlier, he is a blue merle male. It was a blast introducing Freckles to sheep, Freckles meeting our pup and another old male BC who she liked. It was like BC world at this guy's house. He said Freckles has a very natural "eye" and would be a good working dog if that was what we needed. However, I'm happy with her just being my other girl. :rolleyes:

That's great, LJS!!