BC Boards

Shadow is DEFINITELY Scottish!

If I had any doubts about my BC's Scottish heritage, those were put to rest tonight. I just enjoyed my favorite meal: haggis, neeps and tatties, with a can of IrnBru to wash it down, followed by a piece of single malt whiskey cake and some 18-year-old Chivas Regal for dessert. Shadow watched me eat the haggis with extreme interest, so I thought I would see if she liked it; after all, I have been told that even Border Collies won't eat haggis. Well, she did, and wanted more! So I guess her roots are Scottish after all!

Haggis is the heart, liver, and lungs of a sheep minced with suet, onions, oatmeal, and seasoning and boiled in the stomach.

When we sold goat meat to the Italian community nearby, they often wanted all the inside parts so I got to help clean all kinds of things that most people would never eat, and stomach was one of them. It stinks unbelievable and looks worse. Mom had the misfortune of knocking on the door of one of these families after they had cooked a stomach and they asked her to taste a piece. When it was obvious they weren't going to take no for an answer she had a bite, politely excused herself with an "I really need to get back home now," hid behind the truck and vomitted. Of course those of us who were with her laughed ourselves silly, oh so thankful she tasted it and not us. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I could understand why they would say border collies wouldn't even eat it. I won't eat it either and my dad's a full blooded Scott.

But to those who enjoy the...um...tasty morsel,(dog and man alike) eat hardy and please don't leave any leftovers!

I think neeps are turnips, and tatties are potatoes.

I've never tried haggis, but I have eaten tripe (sheep stomach). My mum used to cook a lovely dish of tripe and onions, in a peppery white sauce. My dad, whose father was a butcher, wouldn't eat it, so we only had it when he wasn't home. I've also used tripe in an Indonesian soup. Main spice with that dish was turmeric, as I remember.

Bustopher - was it Burns night or something - or were you just feeling Scottish?

No, Barb, it was not Robert Burns Night; I acquired a taste for haggis when I visited Scotland. For quite some time, one could not import haggis from Scotland, so I found a US company (Caledonian Kitchen) that produces canned haggis, but using beef instead of mutton (they also make a vegetarian version), with the same spices that Shawna described. Neeps are mashed turnips, and tatties are whipped potatoes. I am able to purchase Irn Bru in case quantities at our local St. Andrews Scottish Festival each fall, and get the whiskey cakes over the Internet. As for the scotch, well...one does not need to be Scottish to appreciate that!

lol, Vegetarian haggis!?

Considering a major portion of the meal is animal product how do they figure they can call it "haggis". Insulting really. :rolleyes:

"As for the scotch, well...one does not need to be Scottish to appreciate that!"

I tend to lean more toward the rum myself; however, if anybody's offering up a little Glayva just send me your address and I'll be right over. :D

Oooh, rum on fruit salad would be good, and that rum cake..do you share recipies?

For a nice treat my mom will throw a bit of limeaide concentrate, a small tin of crushed pineapple and a large banana into the blender (don't forget the crushed ice), splash in a dab of rum (Lemonhart is her preference), and serve in a tall glass with a long handled spoon. Ohh, so good.

Never had the pleasure of Haggis, but feel I would be compeled to try it if I went to Scotland. But not until then LOL. I love Neeps and Tatties, Bannocks too. And a very old single malt scotch is always good! Not much on Rum alone, but in cakes it's yummy, and the fruit thing sounds like it might be interesting. Maybe I just see rum as tropical kind of drink, all that yo ho and a bottle of rum sort of thing :rolleyes:

If anyone here ever was bothered by my tripe pics or raw feeding tales, now's the time to grin to yourselves. I am absolutely, totally grossed out!!

The whiskey sounds good at least :rolleyes:

"I'll pull it out of my receipe book tomorrow and post it."

Oh wonderful! Now all I need is a big chunk of chocolate and I'll be set for the weekend. :rolleyes: (I know chocolate has nothing to do with this conversation, but chocolate goes good with anything!)

We'll have to lock Darcy out of the kitchen or she'll be begging to get involved. Her granddam may have come from Ireland but she'd rather think of herself as a Carribean collie (please let me lick the rum bottle, Mom, please.) Um, no!

As promised here is the receipe.

Rum Cake

1/2 cup chopped pecans or more

1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding

1/2 cup water*

4 eggs

1 box 18oz. yellow cake mix

1/2 cup rum

1/2 cup vegetable oil

Grease Bundtpan, sprinkle with flour. Sprinkle nuts in bottom of pan. Dump everything else in mixer and beat 2 min. Pour batter in cake pan and bake for 50-60 min. at 325 degrees. Remove and cool 20 min. in pan. Glaze with hot rum glaze.

*I use milk.

Rum Glaze.

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup rum

1 stick butter

1/4 cup water

Boil 2 or 3 min. and spoon over cake.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................that sounds like my kind of meal. Only thing I would change is the fact that I'd most likely have TWO cans of Irn Bru. :rolleyes:

One bit of warning! When you are heating the glaze on the stove DO NOT INHALE the steam! LOL It will make you drunk faster than you have ever experienced! Er, so I have been told!

P.S. The effects only last a little while tho.

LOL, I'll have to ask my mom about that, she made the cake for desert tonight. My goodness that's tasty stuff! There were four of us doing the happy food dance and one, who doesn't like rum, who said "That was very good!" after scarfing a slice down faster than a starving sheltie. :rolleyes:

(Before ya'll think I'm a total booze hound, I'd just like to say that the majority of alcohol around here is brought in by guests. A bottle of rum could easily last six months or more, although that might change now that my mom has the cake recipe. )