BC Boards

Sophie's DNA test results

I have a litter of dorkies* expected at the clinic any time in the next week or so.... maybe the owners of the shitbox would like one of those...?

*accidental breeding of mini doxie and Yorkie

A dear friend of mine once accidentally bred a litter of Wows - whippet crossed with chow. We were terrified they'd inherit a whippet's speed with a chow's temperament :rolleyes: , but they all turned out with very nice dispositions. :D Looked sort of like dingoes, though, with brindling.

A dear friend of mine once accidentally bred a litter of Wows - whippet crossed with chow. We were terrified they'd inherit a whippet's speed with a chow's temperament :rolleyes: , but they all turned out with very nice dispositions. :D Looked sort of like dingoes, though, with brindling.

My sister has a dog that resulted from the breeding of a Schnauzer and a Chihuahua. They called it a Schnahuahua but I thought that was silly, so I renamed them Chiwowzers! So much better. :D

My firends breed Bullshits. Britt bulldogs crossed with shitsus, at first it was a joke pairing, they never imagined the two would breed LOL. But now they actually sell the pups for $1500 each and have people make reservations. They're sooo cute, but yeah.. Bullshits. The things people do when they live in the worlds most boring town :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
What I think would be interesting and I've thought about doing it, is to send in a sample from a known pb breed that is on the list and see if they identify it correctly. Or, send in a sample from a known mixed breed made up of two breeds that they test for and see if they identify it correctly.

You got me thinking to truely test I would guess I'd have to send Gene's sample and Sugars to see if they are similar. I would know if was a fraud if they came up unrelated.

My firends breed Bullshits. Britt bulldogs crossed with shitsus, at first it was a joke pairing, they never imagined the two would breed LOL.

I'm missing the humor here. Your friend could stand to go volunteer at a high kill shelter. Why the hell would you breed two dogs as a "joke?"

I'm missing the humor here. Your friend could stand to go volunteer at a high kill shelter. Why the hell would you breed two dogs as a "joke?"

Agh! I held my tongue, since the post was over a year old ... but I agree. I didn't get the "tee hee" funny of deliberately breeding mixed breed dogs for major cash either.

RDM

QUOTE(AK dog doc @ Jun 21 2007, 11:54 AM)

I have a litter of dorkies* expected at the clinic any time in the next week or so.... maybe the owners of the shitbox would like one of those...?

*accidental breeding of mini doxie and Yorkie

I had a dog down on my appointment book last week, the entry simply said ( I obviously didnt take the appointment)

9:00am

Dorkie

Darci

I had to go out into the store upon seeing this and ask who the wize ass was that wrote that in my book! No one was fessing up.

10 mineuts later, Darcy the yorkie/dasch cross pup came in with her owner. She was darling!

Why are people so keen to find out their dog's make up?

I treat my dogs according to their behavioural traits, not their history or appearance.

Behaviourwise, this is a lurcher -

Charlierocks2a.jpg

and these (L-R) are

dog003.jpg

a scent hound

a terrier

and a collie x GSD (worst behaviour traits of both breeds)

That's what they behave like so that's what they are to me. (My BC and my JRT are just that.)

If I had a DNA test done on any of them and it came back with unexpected results, maybe I'd start treating them according to expectations of breed make up rather than the reality.

Since all breeds are artificially created one way or another it does seem a meaningless exercise to me.

Pam

Why are people so keen to find out their dog's make up?

I treat my dogs according to their behavioural traits, not their history or appearance.

If I had a DNA test done on any of them and it came back with unexpected results, maybe I'd start treating them according to expectations of breed make up rather than the reality.

Since all breeds are artificially created one way or another it does seem a meaningless exercise to me.

Pam

I've been tempted to get my mutt tested to see whether she has any herding breed in her; the reason being that I want to try my hand at herding, and would have a higher probability of success if she did. But since circumstances do not permit me to get involved in sheep right now, there really is no point.

As far as treating them according to expectations, I'd like to share an aanecdote. When I first met Allie, I thought she might have some border collie in her. So I took her hiking at least an hour twice a day, had multiple training sessions in a day, and by the end of our second month together, a list of her tricks filled a comp book page. Then I was convinced that in fact she did not have any bc heritage. So I cut my expectations down considerably, and guess what? She learned very slowly, developed a few bad habits, and generally was a less happy pup until I came to my senses, and realized I just need to meet her needs.

Anyways, as a child of an asian and a european parent, who I am to scoff at mixed breeeds?

I've been tempted to get my mutt tested to see whether she has any herding breed in her; the reason being that I want to try my hand at herding, and would have a higher probability of success if she did.

Just look at her behaviour. Does she show any herding traits? If so, are they strong enough to be worth giving her a trial on stock?

You don't have to pay for a dubious test to tell you what you want to know.

Plenty of full herding dogs are no good at the job - mixed breeds even less so, whether they have herding blood or not.

Pam