BC Boards

Shout out to all the bc boys

I just have to say I am lovin my macky boy! I have always been partial to a girl but when we got mac 6 months ago my son really wanted a boy and I said yes but with alot of unspoken hesitation :D . I gotta say he has totally won my heart!!!

He is so funny and lovable and a little goofy, and completely different than all the female bc's we've had over the years(4 girls). So I just want to give a little shout out to all the boys out there. I am an official convert. I would not say one or the other is better but I now have a new soft spot in my heart for those manly bc's :rolleyes: !!

post-6783-1181936496_thumb.jpg Mac and Jenny he's the smaller one.

I'm with you... After my male cat was gone I always said, NO MORE MALE ANIMALS!

Until 6 weeks ago when we went to go get a little girl BC and my heart was won by her brother, a big, goofy, 'look at me' puppy that I immediately nicknamed "Mr. Personality".

we now have two 13 week old puppies and although i adore the girl (Zena) like I knew I would, I also deeply love her super goofy brother (Zeus). He definitely adds a huge comic relief to situations and he is going to be a GIANT. He's the biggest BC puppy that anyone that I've talked to has ever seen for his age. At 13 weeks he's about 20lbs and his paws are as big as his big sister Clover's. Zena is about 13lbs and normal sized :rolleyes:

Props to the males!

What's the issue with male dogs? I remember in a past thread some members being afraid of male "parts".

Hey hey hey. I was just asking about some very private parts because I wasn't sure at the time :D

But I agree that male BC's do seem to be better :rolleyes: Just kidding. But I have noticed that he is more laid back and more about the good times than our other female dog.

What's the issue with male dogs? I remember in a past thread some members being afraid of male "parts".

Let's not start that again :rolleyes:. You know, I've never stopped wondering about the pigs (how on earth does one get a corkscrew into anything WITHOUT rotating the other end - ie the male pig - at least 360°???).

I always thought I'd end up with a male dog, because Timmy (GSD I used to look after) and I made such a good team, but now I can't really imagine having a male anymore (unless he's really masculine, like Solo, or a wacky genius like Ouzo, and not just goofy and easy going, as BC boys are often described).

Have fun with yours! :D

Here's another vote for the goofy boys.

My Fergus is nowhere near as smart as Kirra, to be honest - in fact, I'm still waiting for his grown-up brains to arrive in the mail - he's 5 now, and still has boy-brains. But he is super loving, and tries so hard to get things right - when he's not getting too over-excited - as he does when we try to do agility or tricks. How is it that he can be quite same and settled doing obedience and tracking, but loses it completely with some other things - or is that just a boy thing too. No - thinking back, my previous boy didn't do that - it must just be a Fergus thing. :rolleyes:

Here he is after passing his first Tracking test (800 yards, 2 turns, known person)

post-2338-1181982336_thumb.jpg

ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS COMMENT ABOUT BOARS!!!!!!! :rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Well, but....HOW??? :D

Here's another vote for the goofy boys.

I've always preferred the males and can't think of a better first Border Collie for me than Quinn. Yes, he is a goof. He is also amazingly athletic and smart and just plain fun. I love that he is laid back, has an actual sense of humor yet is full of drive when it's time to play or work sheep. He is truly the sunshine in my days and has totally converted me to the breed. Here he is at the office with me, wearing his wise, all knowing look. The next second, he might be picking up the phone and hitting redial, while looking at me with a laughing gleam in his eye as I lunge to grab the receiver from him, wondering who he has just called :rolleyes:

QuinnCloseup.jpg

I'm not closed to the idea of males, my dogs have been females because were rescues or in the case of Auca I tested her for SAR without the gender in mind, because she wasn't even supposed to be mine. But I had to admit that I don't know if could have the patient to walk or work with a dog who want to mark every 10 seconds.

In my team there is a strange phenomenon... the three males are labs and all the females are of other breeds (GSD, Belgian, golden, my former BC) so I had always thought that what I don't like of them has more to do with being Labradors than to be males.

I'm voting for the boys, too. I have a very clever and special boy, Chaos, and I can't imagine life without him! I have a girl too, but if I try to think about having another girl instead of him, ... well that would just be wrong! I also can't imagine Chaos as a girl... though he was listed as female at the pound, when I adopted him. :rolleyes:

prettyboy.jpg

But I had to admit that I don't know if could have the patient to walk or work with a dog who want to mark every 10 seconds.

Maybe because my dogs are neutered marking just isn't a problem especially when it comes to training or playing. In fact, I often need to insist that Quinn pee before I'll start a game of fetch with him when I come home from work.

Kat, we all appreciate you saying it, I know how hard it was for you to type it :rolleyes:

Sandra, I highly appreciate you placing Ouzo next to Solo, in the "special males that could be tolerated by junge Damen category". :D And for the longest time I also imagined pigs rotating at high speed in a corkscrew motion and smiling wildly :D

Yay for the boy dawgs! I'm a convert, since I thought I preferred females. Really, I love 'em both. And though I do prefer boy dogs, I never say never. If the next one I fall in love with and absolutely must have (ahem....Keeper!), is a female, then so be it.

I was always more partial to the girls, having been brought up that way. My mom had an aversion to having a male dog, she would insist that they'd mark everything, mount everything and be more likely to want to wander away (I know, not if they're neutered). So we always had female dogs in our house. After moving out into my own home I became more open to the males and now I love them to bits. For the last couple of years we've had only boys and they've all been great dogs. Now that I've adopted Rain and Storm we've got 5 boys and one girl. I thought it would be nice to have a little girl pup again, but was leaning towards a boy just because of the potential for a larger adult size (to team up with my other dogs for sledding). The logic in my head was saying get a boy, but my heart was saying it was time to get another girl. So of course I ended up adopting two, one of each! :rolleyes: After seeing the puppies I couldn't pass up taking Rain as well as Storm.

Vickkers - I know what you mean about monster boy pups. Rain and Storm will be 13 weeks old tomorrow and although I don't have their current weights (at least not accurate ones, my bathroom scale leaves much to be desired), I did have them weighed when they were at the vets. That was about 2 1/2 weeks ago and Rain was 14.5 pounds and Storm was a whopping 17.3 (at about 10 1/2 weeks of age!) He's a really solid pup with huge feet. Of course, having a fluffy coat makes him look even larger compared with Rain's smoother coat, but the weights don't lie. I'm sure that when they go back to the vet's on June 26 that he'll be well over 20 pounds.

My last dog was a female and we were together for 11 years so I was very partial to female dogs.

But I don't regret getting a male and would never give Popcorn up!! I think that he is almost even more affectionate than my female, Reilly, was but then I hear that the males are.

Hooray for boy dogs! Without them, who would the girls have to flirt with??? :rolleyes:

I've always had male dogs and never had any problems that they're supposed to have (constant marking, humping, etc).

My latest, Zeb, is a fantastic little guy. He's goofy and playful around the house, but deadly serious when fetching a frisbee and he so wants to do what I ask.

Just look at the determination in those eyes - he means business!

100_0965.jpg

RE100_0802.jpg