BC Boards

Good-bye Sweet Obi

thank you to all of you. I really couldn't have handled this by myself. This is a particularly hard one. Obi came to me at 5 months of age, an owner surrender. His family lived in a rented house and Obi demolished the kitchen linoleum. The landlord told them that he had to go. He was a pleasing little guy right from the start. I picked him up only a week after my surgery in December. There was a girl there, about 11 yrs. old, who was in tears having to give up her puppy. I was about the same age when my parents divorced and my mother "got rid" of my beloved dog, my best buddy, my confidante - the only being I could turn to during to get away from all of the tension in the home. And then he was gone and that seemingly insignificant act, of "getting rid" of the family dog, insignificant for adults - had a profound impact on my life. That kid crying at losing her dog, touched something inside of me I thought was long gone, and I took her to the side and promised her that I really did understand and I would take the best possible care of Obi that I could.

I watched Obi grow from a klutsy pup to a klutzy adolescent and last week I was looking at him and I could visualize the final product, the adult dog that was going be an important part of someone's life. Because of how he came to me, he already was an important part of mine, more so than most of the other rescues who had come to me.

Now Obi's dead and in his wake, there are a lot of unanswered questions and unresolved feelings. I feel like shit. I did a lot, yeh, but I think I could have done more, done better - for Obi and for a promise I made to a little girl.

I guess I just need time. Thank you, all.

Vicki,

Please don't beat yourself up over this. Your grief is certainly understandable, but you have nothing to feel guilty about. Far from it, you did what was in your power to give this little guy a future. I'm so sorry about Obi. I know it hurts like hell.

Try not to be hard on yourself, you did so much for Obi, and now he is free. I know how those things that touch off those old buried memories can really hurt. Let yourself cry for Obi, for the little girl who lost her pup in December and the one who lost her pup many years ago. Big big hugs to you.

This is so horribly painful all around, I'm sorry...! You did everything you could for him, and would have done more if you had been given a chance.

So sorry to hear about Obi - I was hoping he would rally. As others have said, you did do the right thing to let him go.

Why is it that sometimes the right thing is also the hardest?

Take comfort in the thought that he has no more pain.

My sympathies to you and the prospective family, too.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Vicki. I had the exact same experience as you growing up, with parents getting divorced when I was 7 and our beagle going to the pound as a result. It's easy to feel you did not do enough to honor your promise to the little girl, but you gave her the gift of always feeling just a little better about having to give up her dog, and you truly did all you could for little Obi. It simply wasn't meant to be. My thoughts are with you.