BC Boards

Cattle-working border collie sells for $23,000!

Originally posted by Maralynn:

I second the WOW!

But really, if Patch is able to work for another 7 years, his owner will be paying about $3300/year for a pretty good "hired hand". That is still a bargin in the right cattle operation.

Not to mention stud fees if Patch is still intact!

I have some swamp land...any takers?....

:rolleyes:

I'm all for a good dog being sold for a good price but that's nuts. I could see the 82xx and 85xx if you had the money and really, needed a great dog. But $23,000? As they say, there's one born every day.

Someone asked if I'd sell my favorite working dog and for how much, all I could think of was that commercial,

pup...$xxx

training...$xxxx

training dog's given me and my best bud..priceless.

I think that's why the guy asked, he knew I wouldn't sell him for any price. Wonder if I'd have thought twice for that price?

$23,000 just isn't that much money to alot of people.

Might of been a prestige thing along with a very fine dog.

Anybody know any additional information about this paticular deal that would clarify the record price?

I don't know anything about the dog mentioned specifically, but I follow cattle trials a bit.

Cattle trials, particularly in the West, tend to have large monetary awards, much like cutting horse contests do. The entry fees are appreciably higher as well, often several hundred dollars per run. The Rodear trial paid out $7500.00 for first place,and some series of trials will pay out an excess of $60,000.00 in prize money, so, potentially, I suppose, the dog could make a fair amount of the purchase price back- assuming that he doesn't get hurt, that he clicks well with his new handler and that he was something special and had won several trials to begin with.

I believe that one dog, a female named Ellie (in 2005), won about $18,000 in a year's time and then she came up missing. A few days later, she walked into the open door of a church and one of the ranchers reached out and held her until the sermon was over and then returned her to her owner. I can't remember all the details. but that's the gist of the story and I thought it was a nice ending.

As far as the dog in the article "Patch" goes, it appears by the news article he was "half Mc Callum", but I couldn't find Venable (the trainer listed in the article) on the working order on the internet. I might have missed it, though. I am sure more info will be posted on http://www.cowdognews.com as soon as the webmaster gets back from Red Bluff, if you are interested.

PS, Mc Callums are not that rare, although perhaps dogs from Tony McCallum's direct Australian lines are more difficult to come by. The tend to heavily resemble a smooth coated border collie, and most of the ones I have seen as white factored.

WOW that's a lot of money! More than I have :rolleyes:

I really wish they wouldn't offer such purses. It almost sounds as if the dogs are being bred for the purse possibilities and not for the job of day in day out moving of stock. At least a dog that has such a high market value would be hard to steal and sell for anything like what it cost the original owner.

really wish they wouldn't offer such purses. It almost sounds as if the dogs are being bred for the purse possibilities and not for the job of day in day out moving of stock. >>>>Meg's Mum

I would tend to agree except that, at least here in the West, its become downright impossible to win with a dog that doesn't have the job of moving cattle day in and day out. I have competed a long time in cattle dog trials and can no longer keep up without having access to "real" cattle work. A lot of the courses are changing from the traditional (yet still difficult) USBCHA type model to things like the rodear and sorting tasks that are meant, and rightly so, to give a rancher who uses his/her dog for everyday work a real advantage.

The only thing that bothered me about one of the articles I read was that McCallum dogs were represented as a breed, not a line of Border Collies. I have a McCallum bred dog, but she's a registered Border Collie first, her breeding is second. I wondered if this was a reporter's mistake or is there an attempt to create a "breed" now out of this line?

Originally posted by Smokjbc:

The only thing that bothered me about one of the articles I read was that McCallum dogs were represented as a breed, not a line of Border Collies. I have a McCallum bred dog, but she's a registered Border Collie first, her breeding is second. I wondered if this was a reporter's mistake or is there an attempt to create a "breed" now out of this line?

Well from the looks of this I would think that is exactly whats going on

McCallum Cowdog

Well.. I wouldn't call it sad.. I guess compared to the "designer dog" trend there are far worse things that could be said about it. Compared to what I see bred here locally, which leaves much to be desired, it isn't bad at all. I do think that Mr. Maccullum has succeeded in fixing a very distinct type of dog that can be a very effective cow dog. I know my dog's sire is one of the best I've seen and he was very true to that type. I am not sure I really disagree with it as much as I wanted to clarify that that was what the article truly represented.

I don't find that sad at all. It seems like they are breeding dogs for their working ability, specifically for day-to-day tasks. Their goals are the same as that of the majority of board members. They are following a process similar to what gave us the border collie in the first place. What's wrong with that?

Lisa

Originally posted by lrayburn:

I don't find that sad at all. It seems like they are breeding dogs for their working ability, specifically for day-to-day tasks. Their goals are the same as that of the majority of board members. They are following a process similar to what gave us the border collie in the first place. What's wrong with that?

Lisa

I tend to agree,after all isn't this the way to go about creating a new breed and getting it recognized?

Now if it were a situation that was just creating another registry for BCs I would be against it,but from what I can tell that is not the case here.

What I don't get is that if McCallum started with *border collies* and is selectively breeding those *border collies* to "create" the McCallum cowdog, with no outside breed influences, then how are his dogs anything but border collies? Sure, with linebreeding, etc., he can fix some specific traits, but I don't think they are a separate breed. JMO.

Heidi,

You'll get disagreement on that. Cattle working dogs definitely need a willingness to bite, both head and heel, but frankly, I think a good sheepdog needs to be willing to do the same. Personally, I expect my dogs to be able to work both (since sometimes we need to). There is a culture that wants/requires a dog that is much rougher on stock, but IMO those aren't the best working dogs, of either cattle or sheep. The dogs are supposed to be a stress-free way of moving stock. If your dog is constantly biting or harrassing stock, or causing them to run, it's costing *you* (the livestock producer) money by running/stressing weight off that stock (there are exceptions, of course, as with all generalities). So really the ideal should be a dog that can move stock quietly and calmly--backed up with teeth when necessary.

J.

I understand the need for a good working dog, especially on large operations. But $23,000? I wouldn't pay $23,000 to watch a pissant eat a bale of hay!

I think it is a prestige thing more than anything else. Would the winner of the ISD finals be worth even more? I doubt it. But because this dog was called a McCallum dog, the price went up! Sorta like paying $4-500 for a pup out of excellent working parents, or $1,000 to $1,500 for an ACK pup.