BC Boards

The Name Game

Bree makes me think of bread--or is brie cheese?

Evenstar is better, though I would call her Star for short.

Thora makes me think of a lady I took care of at a nursing home when I worked there.

If you want a mythological connections (assuming you want to keep the Norse mythology):

Loki (I know this was a god and not a goddess, but it could be a unisex name)

Freya

Idun or Iduna

Asgard

Well, I went with Thora because Thor was a red haired-red bearded dude, and my girl is reddish brown.

Otherwise I'd rather Evenstar because of the LOTR connection, both DH and I play Lord of the Rings Online.

I like the name Loki, but I know to many dogs with that name :rolleyes: (no females though)

Another norse name I like alot is Asdis, but I know DH won't like it. =/

you don't want to use Loki!!!!!! Loki was the god they referred to in the film the Mask and is a well known trouble causer!

I voted Thora...cos its close to Thor, who was Odins counter part (not his son) in Norse Myth.

Other female names

Sif - Thors wife, goddess of summer and harvest

Frigga - Odins Wife, goddess of families and all this domesticated

Freyja - warrior witch and Odin irritant...also slept with anyone and anything. Goddess of fertility

Skadi - is a giantess and stepmoter to Freyja and goddess of the hunt

I like Bree of the choices, but I voted that you should pick the name you want if it's your dog. All the dogs in our house are fully mine, but Hubby had veto power of names I picked. I wanted River to be Rain, but he thought it was too depressing since we live in the NW and it rains all the time here. River was my 2nd choice. (He liked it because of the Serenity reference, hehe).

He also didn't super-like the name Diesel but after 2 days it grew on him.

A good friend always warned to be careful what you name your pets... they take the name on. Soooo, personaly I'd stay away from 'the great distubance" :rolleyes:

I like Evenstar alot. I liked Bree, but.....

Thora, well, that one is just akward to me, like Laura with a lisp. :D

Your DH got to name Odin, it's your turn!

Evenstar! Evenstar! Evenstar!

i voted bree. evenstar sounded plain and thora is too unladylike. but again i'm not sure if "a great disturbance" is appropriate either :rolleyes:. how about odin spelled backwards? NIDO its boyish. or perhaps since Odin sounds mythical, try one of the elven names...there's some very ladylike names and it might sound cool like your hubby wants

I like Bree. We had a BC pup named Bree that we lost to parvo years ago. So it's special to me. But I also like the other choices too. I'm bad with names unless I have been around them. They have a way of picking their names.

A good friend always warned to be careful what you name your pets... they take the name on. Soooo, personaly I'd stay away from 'the great distubance" :rolleyes:

I like Evenstar alot. I liked Bree, but.....

Thora, well, that one is just akward to me, like Laura with a lisp. :D

Your DH got to name Odin, it's your turn!

Evenstar! Evenstar! Evenstar!

Hey, Freya's brother is named Loki and he is a SAR dog. He helps people get out of trouble, he doesn't start it.

:rolleyes::D So, that explains Laura's Bree!

:D:D No doubt about that. If I had known the meaning behind her name I'd have had Chuck name her something that meant "sweet, calm, non-nosey, relaxed, laid-back anti-evil small black and white dog".

I look at it this way - Chuck named his dog, I named my dog, but we both listened. Then we each chose the name we liked. :D

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I had a female named Loki--she sure lived up to her name, too. So much so that I decided to rehome her. Loki is the Norse God of Mischief. Don't name a dog Loki unless you want it to live up to that reputation!!

I like Bree the best, regardless of the "Giving into hubby" thing.

Oh crap. Just when I finally pick a name I think of something else . . .

I had chosen Zoë, but then I though . . . she eats grass and dandelions alot, so now I'm thinking of "Flora"

Arrrghhhh!!!!

I personally love Flora. Did you ever see "Cold Comfort Farm"? Flora was the heroine's name in that movie. I think it suits her. :D

I wouldn't go with something your husband hates, just because I'd be afraid his dislike of the name might rub off somehow on the name-ee. Superstition, maybe. But you don't have to go with the name he picks, either. Find one you can both live with.

Flora. :rolleyes:

My boyfriend and I both have dogs named Loki. Our first conversation was "Hey, I see your dog is named Loki - Wow, I have a Loki too."

Now we have conversations like " I think Your Loki did that - No, I think it was Your Loki"

Trouble times two. Between us we have 2 Lokis, 2 deaf dogs, 1 blind dog and 1 high alpha chihuahua.

I like Bree but doesn't it rhyme closely with Kee? You will both be answering when your husband calls.