BC Boards

Question about Dog Play

The other night Georgia and I were at our obedience class and we were all chit chatting with the trainer about the silly things dogs do. I said something about how Georgia is really enjoying having a new buddy to play with (Texas-Fizz). The instructor looked at me and said 'I DO NOT let my dogs play together ever and you shouldn't either'. I asked her why and she said that if they played together they would never want to play with her. And yes, she clarified that she NEVER let them play together. Now, we always had a couple dogs growing up and that was never a problem. Yes, the dogs enjoy playing with eachother because I don't enjoy being chewed on or chased at light speed around the yard or house. But both Georgia and Texi like playing with me & my husband because they don't have thumbs and can't throw a ball or re-tie the tuggie to keepit from falling apart. We also know how to work the cookie jar. So the dogs know we are very beneficial.

Am I totally off base here? Or is my instructor loopy? Other than this statement she seems very level headed. She has dobermans...do they not play well together? Bizarre!

Kate

Am I totally off base here? Or is my instructor loopy?

I would vote for the latter. When Annie went to Puppy Kindergarten (followed by Remedial Puppy Kindergarten and Puppy Reform School), one of the first things the instructor worked on was dog socialization. Dogs were encouraged to play together in order to further that behavior. Annie and Missy play together, but that has never detracted from their attention to us. In fact, in all the years that DW and I have had dogs, we have always had two dogs in the house; they have always played together, but it has never affected their devotion to us.

Bullhockey!!! You cannot tell me that dogs aren't smart enough to know the difference. Now,having said that, I do think that there are certain toys and games reserved for one on one play with their humans. One of the basic things about play is dogs learning social skills...If the dog doesn't want to play with other dogs that's one thing, but to totally prevent any

interaction between housemates that get along well sounds asinine to me. It probably go to the raising 2 littermates together and 'if they are allowed to bond with each other,they'll never bond with you'.... I don't buy that as long as they both get one on one time with you...

Tara

I would vote for the latter. When Annie went to Puppy Kindergarten (followed by Remedial Puppy Kindergarten and Puppy Reform School), one of the first things the instructor worked on was dog socialization. Dogs were encouraged to play together in order to further that behavior.

:rolleyes: Puppy Reform School. Where do I sign mine up?

Anyway, my experience with the PetsMart obedience classes was the same - they structured in puppy play time for socialization purposes.

I think your instructor's house must be a really dull place to be a dog. :D I wonder how she'd like it if she were never allowed to play with another human again and only allowed to interact with dogs? :D:D I used to own a Doberman, BTW, and she got along just fine with other dogs. :D

One of the main reasons I got a second dog was so they could play together! They absolutely love each other -- they nuzzle each other every morning when they wake up and are always "kissing" each other. They play non-stop. I love it! Both dogs mind very well, train easily and get along well with other dogs.

My Rusty is a still a little bit "growly" with new dogs coming into his space (we've only had him 3 weeks), but we are working with him on that issue. He is not dog aggressive -- he just feels a little bit threatened when approached by strange dogs and growls (and wags his tail :rolleyes: ). Socialization is critical and so I'm afraid I don't understand why the trainer doesn't want them to interact.

My dogs play together like crazy, but every one of them will break away from the group eagerly for individual time with me.

The matter of dogs socializing at class is an interesting thing to consider. I've heard some trainers say that puppies shouldn't socialize in class because class should be time for working with their handler. Others, of course, emphasize socialization since it is necessary.

When Dean took Basic class, I was glad that off-leash play was kept to a minimum. I did find at that point in our training that it was tough to get him focused after a play session. But he learned the drill and he's a lot better with that now.

I actually prefer to take a class with no social time, and do a separate playgroup or something for that, but I can appreciate that some folks really can't do both and that their dogs benefit from in-class social time.

But at home I can't imagine not letting my dogs play!

Here's the funny thing...The class name is canine playtime. Duh!

Georgia loves playing with other dogs. This is why I got Tex! Georgia's idea of a great day would be 25 dogs to play with. Nothing this woman could tell me would stop me from letting Georgia & Texi play. Georgia loves playing with Tex and Tex loves playing with Georgia. But they both love their individual time too. Texi likes to play ball without Georgia showing off how much faster she is sometimes. And Georgia loves working on her obedience with just me and no Tex. Yes, this girl will completely dismiss a game of ball to work on recalls and such. She loves it! So it's obvious that our dogs(the collective our) want the human interaction as well as wanting the canine interaction.

When the instructor said all this to me I was so shocked I couldn't even laugh at her. For once I was speechless. :rolleyes:

Wow. What's she gonna do when she has a kid, lock it in a closet so it only loves her?

Please. That sounds like an owner issue, not a dog training method.

LOL!! :rolleyes: OMG! That is just plain ridiculous! Obviously this trainer needs some more lessons in the entire dog socializing spectrum. I have been through a 2wk dog training seminar (for myself) as well as trained a number of dogs, plus done rescue. Not to mention that I have lived with dogs for 30+ years and I have never heard of a more absurd thing before. If she has Dobies and doesn't socialize them with other dogs, what will happen if she ever takes them out in public? Dreamer is a therapy dog and he had to be well socialized with dogs in order to pass the certification test, because there are almost always other dogs that do the visits at the same time. Also, CGC testing requires that as well. I could never deprive my dogs of playtime with other dogs. All of ours are together....the Shelties and Nykie generally stick together, but they all play whenever they want to (unless I'm training of course). I would have laughed if she had told me that and asked her if she was serious. :D

I strongly disagree with your instructor. My dogs play with each other but are always willing to desert a playmate if I indicate I want to play! By the same token, if their play is getting out of hand, I may stop it and send them to separate places. Katie is the dog in my family who instigates play with each other of the other dogs - 1 at a time! I get lots of pleasure watching them play and cannot imagine preventing them from EVER playing together.

Great article!

Yes, I was dumbfounded when she said that. She's very into AKC this & that...has been a bit pushy about me getting an ILP on Georgia...and that's fine for some people...It's just not something I'm interested in. (I don't want to start the AKC wars.) We do the classes because Georgia loves to learn things and yes, be social with the dogs there. By 'social' that doesn't necessarily mean play time. There will be many instances in Georgia's llife where she'll have to be near other dogs without playing with them. So even if we're doing an activity she knows "like the back of her paw" she is learning to exist quietly with the other dogs.

I think play is very important. Mentally & physically. It teaches so much. And yes, if one is getting overexcited, play time stops. No point in someone getting ticked off because someone got nipped a little too hard.

:D Saaaay Whaaaat!!! wacky statement! :rolleyes: . I have lived with, loved, been loved, and studied dogs and wolf behavior and trained dogs for very many years...and that is truly at the top of the list for really ridiculous statements from a "trainer".

Seems like anyone, who knows about dogs and their behavior, would realize, that to us human types, it is play, pure and simple. In the dogs world, it is "finding your place" in the pack as well a just plain fun. What we perceive as just play goes back to genetics and species survival, even if we are talking about our domestic pups.

If anyone who lives with dogs, is vigilent and recognizes certain "things", about their dogs behavior, there are numerous, (too many to mention), behaviors, that are scaled down perhaps, but none the less, species behavior. The most obvious to me is watching them "play", and we have all seen our fur babies, spend 2-3 min. or more, turning in a circle on their bed, around and around and around and................ or mussing it up, etc., to get it JUST right, all after we have straightend it and fluffed it up for them! Huh! ungrateful little critters! LOL! again... simply a genetic behavior trait.

I am soooooooooo very glad, that you are a smart and caring pet parent who knows that in this case, your dog "instructor", is plain WRONG! I feel really bad for her Dobies....

Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay on little pooches!!!!!! :D

WOW, what a load of bollocks!!!

Ours have unlimited access to one another, as long as they're both home or we're on a walk together. Nobody stops them from playing together whenever they want. Do they still like to play with humans? You bet they do! They'd stop any of their games for a chance to play with us, at any time.

Of course, if contact with other dogs is extremely restricted, it becomes very special and a huuuge "distraction"...poor things :rolleyes:

I totally agree with the others. That sounds very absurd, not to mention abusive to the poor dogs to have to live with each other but not play together! Ha! In fact, just like a previous poster said, I am actually thinking of getting another dog myself, just for a playmate for Ladybug.

That actually made me chuckle a bit because it's so ridiculous! My dogs love to play and one of my favorite things is to watch them play and have fun. :D I encourage my dogs to interact with others. Of course I don't know this lady but from what I do know I think her dog's lives must be pretty dull. :rolleyes:

I actually do think too much interaction with other dogs coupled with not enough interaction with people can make a dog less responsive. Of course, some people allow their puppies to play with other dogs all day and have no problems with their dog not wanting to interact with them.

Eve is very dog-oriented and will completely forget I exist if she spends too much time with other dogs. When her desire to interact with the other dog completely takes over her brain and she becomes unresponsive to me in the presence of another dog, that's when I decrease the amount of reinforcing playtime she gets. I guess it's not the nicest thing to do but if she is constantly reminded that play is better than work/me, I will have a lot of training to do once she's old enough for stockdog and service work. I love to let her play and be a puppy but she needs to remain aware of me, too. I'll never take away her interaction with other dogs entirely, but if she starts getting distant from me and too into her buddies, I start keeping her on leash and work on making myself more interesting to her.

That said, that lady's policy of never letting her dogs play will end badly when her dogs grow up to have NO idea of how to interact with other dogs.