BC Boards

Test results on Holly!

I got the call today. She was given the full thyroid panel. Her T-4 level was 0.3. Normal is 1.0-4.0. I will go pick up her meds tomorrow. I am really excited about this turn of events. And very hopeful this will be just the thing to get her well! I am so glad to have gotten the good advice and the good sense to listen to it! I did some reading on hypothyroidism and it sounds like it may be her main prob. One thing I read that I had not heard, was that it can cause loss of concentration. Or, inability to focus. Well, how can a dog learn anything if they can't concentrate? It just really explains all her other little "quirks"! So, I didn't ask, but will when I go to get meds, I don't know how long before the meds and her spay(lack of hormones) will start making a difference, but am hoping I will see a drastic difference in her. I've always said, when she is being good, she is such a loving little girl.

Keep the MOJO coming! I have high hopes for this little girl now!

I don't know about dogs, but I know that my meds for hypothyroidism started kicking in on the mental stuff within days. Then again, you can't ask the pup about depression or suicidal thoughts, can you. You can just see how she behaves. And the benefits were incremental. So give the pup time.

BTW, the drooping eyelids weren't much later, but the peeling nails took longer.

The thyroid controls about everything in the body.

I'm glad the vet checks the T4. For humans, they start with the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which is higher when your body isn't producing enough T4. However, what your body really needs is T3. So, if Holly doesn't seem to be responding, have the vet check the T3. I have to take synthetic T3 because, even when my body has tons of T4, it doesn't convert it to the necessary T3.

I'm glad you stuck with it! You'll see a big improvement with the meds, the only thing I will caution you about are any learned behaviors. For example, you may have to work through what are some of her triggers, if she has any, because while some of the aggression is instinctive, she has also in the interim learned to be reactive at certain things.

But you'll see a completely different dog in a month or so! And even learned behaviors will lessen as she is able to focus better and not simply react.

Maria

It's good that you have at least one known problem, which could be contributing to the 'quirks'. In any event, she'll certainly feel better in herself when the thyroid meds kick in - for general purposes, they say there's about a fortnight lead time, so don't be too disappointed if you don't see anything straight away. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that the mornal range is just that - a range, and as I said about my old bitch, some dogs (and people for all I know) seem to have a metabolism which requires them to be operating at the higher end of normal.

Fingers crossed that Holly starts to respond really well to her meds, and can really start to learn what you want her to learn. She really is a super lucky dog to have found you.

WELL, I never would have thought I'd be happy to hear a dog is sick...BUT in this case, I am :rolleyes: I sure hope that the medication turns her around....WAY TO GO LINDA!!! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for sticking with her. Tons and tons of mojo coming your way :D Give that girl a scruffle for me :D

WELL, I never would have thought I'd be happy to hear a dog is sick...BUT in this case, I am :rolleyes: I sure hope that the medication turns her around....WAY TO GO LINDA!!! THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for sticking with her. Tons and tons of mojo coming your way :D Give that girl a scruffle for me :D

That goes for me too!

That's great to hear! I hope you can help her more now. I know you would do anything to help any of your dogs. I hope she does better now. Let me know how she does.

Well, in a weird sort of way, that's fantastic! Ben is "low normal" and still has what I call episodes of paranoia, and "brain fog." So, no wonder she's a grumpy girl.

Ben on meds is completely different, requiring no training at all. It's like a switch being thrown. Let's hope for the same thing for Holly!

I agree with Barb and wanted to make this point. You may need a few additional tests before you find the dosage she comfortable at AND the normal range for a dog on supplementation is going to be higher than that of a healthy dog. So, a little trial and error but you should see results! Cooper does best on the very high end of normal for supplementation.

Let us know!

Maria