BC Boards

It's a puppy.

Woo never picks on anyone but he is always getting nailed by some random dog. He retains his optimism however :rolleyes:

I would give you Woo, Lauren, but who would punch me in the face when it's time to get up in the morning??

RDM

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo never picks on anyone but he is always getting nailed by some random dog. He retains his optimism however :D

I would give you Woo, Lauren, but who would punch me in the face when it's time to get up in the morning??

RDM

I'll send you my Bo - He loves to wack me in the face when it's time to get up (and feed him).

I can't take Woo because he sounds too much like my Jack but sounds like you got a lot of volunteers.

Then I can take the pup. Another demon in my house wouldn't make much difference. :rolleyes:

RDM

Hmmm.....are you sure Piper cannot do that job for you???? Or surely we could train the new puppy to take the Woo's place.....

Seriously though, I LOVE me some Woo!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang
Add to that the unsteady nature of her stomach at the moment and I'm seriously considering switching to paper training at least until her stomach is settled.

Anyone know if that will cause a huge setback in later house training? I've never paper trained before.

The way I've got my guys set up is in an ex-pen with a 2-door crate attached. They have already learned that the crate is their bed/toy area and they keep that 100% clean already (they peed and pooped in there the first couple of days but decided that was yucky). Out in the ex-pen is their food, water and 2 of those long under-the-bed storage boxes with pee pads in them. They are already very, very good with going potty only in the boxes (it may not be "house" trained, but it's a very good way for them to learn there are only acceptable places to potty). Since I am gone 9hrs 5 days a week, I had no other option. They are too young (and they still have mushy poop) to really be expected to hold it that long.

For the diarrhea, try 1/4 teaspoon of Pepto twice a day. That's what has been the miracle cure for my guys. I also suspect a switch from red-tinted dog food kibbles (proof was in their poop when they got here) to high quality food has really wreaked havoc on their tummies. I also use a homeopathic remedy called Podophyllum. I put 2-3 pellets in their bowl each time I fill it up. It really seems to be helping.

HTH.

You guys are killing me.

I want a puppy from known working parents. I want a puppy who had as much time with her mommy and littermates as possible to maximize the chance that she'll be good with other dogs, especially since said puppy will be living with Solo, who is not exactly the model of appropriate adult canine behavior and might not be particularly into living with a puppy (I think Fly would love and mother a puppy though). I do want (in an ideal world) a red pup, but I do not want a merle.

Still, I want this puppy, dammit.

I am supposed to be going abroad in May so now is the worst time ever to be thinking about puppies. On the other hand, a puppy would be worth skipping Morocco for. Someone please adopt this puppy before I go insane.

I am supposed to be going abroad in May so now is the worst time ever to be thinking about puppies. On the other hand, a puppy would be worth skipping Morocco for. Someone please adopt this puppy before I go insane.

Well seeing as I live just across the bay from you, I could foster while you're travelling....

Oh Meeeeeelanie...

Awww3.jpg

Look at this FACE:

Awww.jpg

And Recon says if someone will PLEASE come get this little beast, she'll fetch your mail for you for a month:

DownBeastAgain.jpg

(for the record, puppy and Recon weren't supposed to be here at the same time. Recon-babysitter fell through and Puppy arrived early, so my quarantine situation dissolved into nothing. That, too, has me stressed.)

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about mom and pop. I do know that the dam lives with the neighbor's friend inside and was purchased from a breeder. She is, most likely, AKC. She's "registered", I was assured (ugh), so I'm assuming that is what he meant. The papa dog is from a farm "down the road". I do not know if he works. I won't even make a wild guess on that one.

I will say, though, that a good many of the border collies you see around here come from working farms. But, since most of the dairy farms folded after Katrina, a lot of them are ending up in pet homes now. No one is really breeding them anymore, because they aren't needed on the dairies.

Anyway, that'd be a huge guess. I have no clue, really.

I can try to pry for more info from the neighbor, if you'd like. He wasn't very forthcoming with info to begin with, though, so I don't really know how far I could get with that.

I -do- know that she's REALLY cute. And is learning "wait" for her food. And "sit". And we're working on "down". :rolleyes:

That was meant to be today, but the vet I had the appointment with called this morning to tell me they had a whole litter of puppies in with Parvo and it'd probably be best if I didn't bring her in. Mondays and Wednesdays are the only days I'm not at school all day, so I've made her another appointment with a different vet for Wednesday.

I've flushed her eye out several times and it seems all better - I bet they just got soap in it that first night.

So, yeah, Wednesday.

Melanie,

I can see your resistance crumbling. You already have a puppy sitter waiting so you needn't cancel the trip to Morocco (heck, you stay home with puppers and *I'll* go to Morocco in your place). She may not be the working-bred dog you dreamed of, but she is da**ed cute and would make a wonderful addition to your pack. Am I helping convince you not to take her? :rolleyes:

J.

If I left in May I'd miss a MONTH OF PUPPYHOOD. How on earth could I do that?

The thing is, I have a delicate balance here and a real finite amount of space. I only want three dogs altogether (famous last words, I know...) and after the Skeeter debacle I know that the combination of personalities has to be just right. On top of that, dog #3 will ideally grow up to be my next trial dog, since Fly will be geriatric in a few years (she is eight now) and Solo is not only equally geriatric, but also probably never going to trial. (If the next dog doesn't work out to be a working dog, that's OK, we'll do agility or something, but I really want another dog to work as well.) Opting for a puppy vs. an adult trained dog is already a crapshoot, so my plan was that my next dog will be a puppy from parents I love and with qualifications up the wazoo. You know, like if your Twist litter turns out great and you repeat the breeding...

But I would love to rescue and the Bean is fuzzy and adorable.

Well hell, I'm halfway across the country so it isn't realistic anyway.

I've done more than nickname her, but that was easy since I have a list of names all saved up for my next dog(s). I even have names that are rescue-specific because, I'll shamefully admit, I LOVE the whole kennel name/call name thing and of course I can only prepend my "kennel name" to a rescued pup.

Still, sanity must reign, and with the distance among other things it's highly unlikely that I'm the best choice for this little bean.

Let's see, what would one have to do:

(1) Ask landlord for permission.

(2) Plan to come home at lunchtime and work out something for days I cannot come home at lunchtime.

(3) Find puppy playgroup so that social group for puppy is larger than Solo and Fly. (Do not trust dogs in dog park with good reason.)

(4) Make sure money is saved up for Puppy Emergencies &c.

(5) Have a long, long talk with Solo about how eating puppies is Not a Good Thing.

I suppose (5) is really the deal-breaker because I won't know how Solo would handle a puppy unless he actually has to handle a puppy and if it turns out he thinks puppies are the Worst Things Ever then puppy is many miles away from home stuck with a red dog who hates her guts. Maybe Solo will be OK with puppies, I don't know, but it would be best for him to be able to test drive puppies before actually committing to one.

Can you believe I've been putting this much thought into an Internet puppy that's thousands of miles away? More pictures please.

Melanie

I am exactly the same way about getting dogs. I make my friends/family insane with over thinking it to DEATH. The second Kelpie I have was not planned- it was more of a situation in which the dog had to come with me. She has her issues, but is also quite keyed into me, and is my goose dog, so she earns her keep. My third Kelpie was a long drawn out deal. Was getting her, then got my leg broken by a sheep, then wasn't, then was, then did. The whole time I talked to my friends about it. I don't regret anything about her. She is by far the best dog I have owned (well, it's all relative I guess). So, you need to go with your gut on this. Sometimes our hearts don't follow our heads....

Julie

ps:I was worried about my second kelpie with my youngest- they are BEST friends- and it is surprizing because the former is snarky!

Let's see, what would one have to do:

(1) Ask landlord for permission.

(2) Plan to come home at lunchtime and work out something for days I cannot come home at lunchtime.

(3) Find puppy playgroup so that social group for puppy is larger than Solo and Fly. (Do not trust dogs in dog park with good reason.)

(4) Make sure money is saved up for Puppy Emergencies &c.

(5) Have a long, long talk with Solo about how eating puppies is Not a Good Thing.

I suppose (5) is really the deal-breaker because I won't know how Solo would handle a puppy unless he actually has to handle a puppy and if it turns out he thinks puppies are the Worst Things Ever then puppy is many miles away from home stuck with a red dog who hates her guts. Maybe Solo will be OK with puppies, I don't know, but it would be best for him to be able to test drive puppies before actually committing to one.

Can you believe I've been putting this much thought into an Internet puppy that's thousands of miles away? More pictures please.

Ok RDM that link was SNEAKY!!! :D I am so in love with this cutie it is nuts. However I am moving in with my inlaws in 2 weeks. Now is so not the time to get a new puppy. :rolleyes: