BC Boards

Shelter forced to kill 1,000 dogs and cats

INU

OK - This truly sucks. But I have to ask why the animal rights activists are so outraged over this, yet when the 2 PETA members 'euthanized' many, many animals in the back of their van and got off with a slap on the hand it was some kind of victory?

Am I missing something???

DebC

Shelter officials vowed to adopt new policies when it reopens Friday, including euthanizing animals after 72 hours at the shelter -- as the Humane Society recommends -- and improving conditions for the animals, including vaccinating them when they arrive.

Ummmmmmmmmmm WHY ON EARTH would the HSUS recommend euthing animals after 72hours?!?! That's crap imo; I know there's overcrowding and disease, hence the cull, but why the H*LL does that mean that once their numbers are down they should start euthing everything that's been at the shelter for 72hours?! My local shelter has to euth for space at times, but they don't have such a strict limit and they aren't over crowded...

Speechless... I understand that there *is* an overpopulation, but why not just quarentine the animals who have just arrived within a week? Though I disagree with it in the full, I see the side of it. There aren't 1000 rooms to quarentine 1000 different animals that don't have signs/symptoms yet.

All the diseases are treatable (though unlikely for full recovery), so that's my main reason for saying that the animals that have been there under a week should not be "killed off".

Sh*t happens, I know... I just wish there was another way. I mean, what else can you do?

~Lindzey

{And I doubt that the animals will be humanely euthanized. Sounds like a chopper block to me.}

What I am getting out of this is, yes, that is an awful lot of animals to PTS at one time, BUT, had they PTS in a "normal" amount of time, the out come of PTS animals would have been the same. I think people are reacting to it because of the huge number "all at once". The sad fact is, in a lot of large animal shelters, many more animals than that are PTS each year. I think they were trying to keep from PTS the animals, for what reason, I don't know. Could be to save cost, (unlikely if they use shots)could be because of a misplaced desire to "save" the animals at all costs. Unfortunately, there is only so much room. Build more, ok, but at this time, there is limited room, and when you get that over-crowded, you will have diesese. So, if they stop the "hoarding" of too many animals, vac. asap, they will have a much better place. It is just a sad testiment of our society at this point that breeding takes place at the rate that some animals will have to pay with their lives.