BC Boards

Zoe's sick

Zoe's not feeling good today at all. Diarrhea and throwing up. She had some steak yesterday and she's having a pretty violent reaction to it (never happened before!). So two questions:

* Someone mentioned giving her Kaopec for the diarrhea. I've never heard of it before, but it's apparently an anti-diarrheal. Is that a good idea?

* At what point should I get concerned enough to take her to the vet? Right now it seems like she just has a very upset stomach. I don't want to over-react, I know with all the times Zeeke's been sick they just said to give him chicken and rice and maybe some pumpkin and sent us home.

Sigh, mom here is tired of cleaning up huge stinky messes. :rolleyes: Poor girl.

Thanks girls. She's definitely not getting any food for a while. She just threw up ALL OVER... all the water she's had in the past few hours. I had to go get some more paper towels, we went through I think 2+ rolls today. So I got some Kaopectate and electrolytes as well. See if she'll take a little bit. Unfortunately she's confined for the most part because... well, let's just say our area carpet is in need of a professional cleaning at this point. It didn't weather the morning very well.

I called the vet of course they're closed today. So. We shall wait this out, if she's not better tomorrow I'll take her in.

My vet has recommended Kaopectate for mild gastroenteritis along with w/holding food and limiting water - don't refuse water just make small amounts accessible at a time. The vet has only made this recommendtion when the dog was not running a fever, no painful abdomen, etc. just mild vomiting and diarrhea.

Sorry to hear that Zoe's under the weather. Doesn't sound too pleasant for anyone concerned. :rolleyes: I've used Kaopectate for diarrhea with a previous dog before and it did help some. I've actually had better luck with Pepto Bismal -- but it makes a terrible mess when administering it if the dog spits it out. (I use a long dosing syringe in the back corner of the throat). The advice you've gotten so far seems sound. If you have problems getting fluids into her you can try Pedialyte freezer pops or plain old popsicles - I break them off of the stick and then kind of mash them up.

If she continues to have problems into tomorrow, I'd call the vet for advice.

My old GSD/Collie was stricken with a gastro problem once when we were camping (I think he was dining on some of the local small rodents). It was not a fun experience. :D Poor thing spent a lot of time out in the field next to our camp. Fortunately, restricting his food and giving him Pepto for about 24 hrs. pretty much did the trick.

Good luck!

Thanks Deb and BC Friend! I picked up a dosing syringe from my boss (I don't have any, apparently) and got a dose of the kaopectate into her. She wasn't happy about it. She's still puking up all the water she drinks. I hope that stops soon. Luckily no more diarrhea this evening. Just the massive amounts of puke.

I have her locked in the bedroom with me and no other pets. I'm trying to let her rest and not be bothered. Plus this room doesn't have a rug in it. :rolleyes: As long as she doesn't puke on our bed (we only have one blanket) we'll be okay.

Poor baby! I hope she feels better soon! I give mine Pepto-Bismol CAPLETS, not the liquid. I bought them for myself, as I cannot stand that horrible taste (big baby, I know :rolleyes: ) and ended up using it mostly for Ouzo. If you have some handy, it's worth the try. Or get some from the drugstore.

I'm VERY happy to report that she is feeling better. She stopped puking a few hours ago and had a nice long nap... then she definitely looked livlier. All day she was walking around with her tail and head down, just looking upset. Well she just started chewing on a bone and wiggling around on the bed. :D Now she's walking around with her tail up and wagging it when we speak to her. She's even showing interest in food, though I'm not brave enough to give her dinner today. :rolleyes: I just hope we have no more explosions - I am SO DONE with cleaning them up.

Very glad to hear Zoe's feeling better! Was it about 24 hours of misery total? If so, that sounds like eating something that really disagreed or gave her a little food poisoning, like the time Daisy ate some rotten dead fish at the beach. In our family lingo, the expression is "eating a bad clam" based on a long-ago clambake with unfortunate outcomes. Whatever it was, it's good to know Zoe bounced back quickly, and in the future maybe she'll be averse to whatever triggered it.

I'm glad Zoe's doing better. I hate feeling upset. It make you feel bad everywhere.

I think Black Jack was upset tonight but he's a little better now. He wanted to play some so that's a good sign.

Sounds like what Fergie went through the last time - and I mean last time - she ate goose poop.

We currently have 4-6 Canada geese on the local pond. She must have learned her lesson, because she no longer even tries to get at the poop.

Coming in to this late - glad to here Zoe is feeling better!

I just wanted to second the suggestion of Bepto Bismal tablets - it stops Dublin's throwing up almost immediately and it is much easier to give him the tablets than trying to get the liquid down him!

Oh Aerie, I'm sorry you're dealing with it too. :D No fun at all.

I'm really amazed at how they bounce back. Once she "felt better" you'd never know that she was ever sick. Back to her happy go lucky self. Only the throw rug shows that anything was amiss. (It really, really really needs to be taken in for a professional washing. So. Gross.) :rolleyes: