BC Boards

A big WooHoo for Mark and Peg!

Just thought I'd toot Mark's horn for him. He and Peg had their first open placement at the Fogt's year-end trial in Ohio. They placed third, and in a double lift no less! (And it seems to me that Mark just moved Peg to open recently--is that correct Mark?)

Way to go Mark and Peg! :rolleyes:

J.

(Marilyn T. correct me if I get anything wrong.)

Linda and Bruce (and all their helpers) put on a great trial; with lunch both days and dinner the first night. They have a new building (for the tree sales and trial) with a wood stove and strategically placed windows to see the trial field. The trial field is on a corn field. The field is flat and probably 350 yrds long with sufficient width. The exhaust was behind the post to the left and the set-out was in the top left corner of the field. The pen was to the left of the post (towards the pressure). There was fencing on the left side and at the top of the field; behind the post and to the right were the trees and this was not fenced off from the trial field. The trees on the right side of the field did not go all the way to the top leaving room for the dogs to flare out to the right near the top of the field.

The sheep were a mix (hair, wool, and crosses) and there were enough so that they were not run too many times (I believe 2x each day). The drive out was probably 100 yds with a similar cross-drive and return leg. I found the cross-drive line easy to see; but that didn't mean I could hit it. The sheep were pushed out to some hay (a few flakes of a square bale) and the set-out person and dog walked away but stayed close just in case.

I didn't look closely at the NN outrun to get a feel for distance; the wear was probably 50-75 yds. The sheep would pen but most had to be put in.

The PN outrun was probably 250 yds with the 100 yd right hand drive. Most of the sheep had to be pushed out (they wanted to curl back); the sheep also leaned hard to the right on the way out.

The Nursery outrun was probably 300 yd and the drive was straight forward. There were times (not all the time) during the day I felt that the dogs were not hearing clearly (echoes off the trees) but I also felt that many (including mine) were not listening. One of these places was near the drive gates (close to the Christmas trees); several dogs pushed the sheep high along the trees after clearing the gates.

Open was a dbl lift for all starting with the right hand outrun with the sheep set close to 350 yds away. The dog needed to flare out to the right once they cleared the end of the Christmas trees. Many of the sheep left the hay (heading towards the set-out pen) as the dogs flared out to the right; but there was sufficient time for the dog to catch them. Dal (our judge) accounted for the sheep leaving. The first group of 3 sheep was to be left at a cone set about 75 yds away from the post (just through the fetch gates) and the dogs were sent back to the left for the second group. There were only a few dogs that went back without some (or lots) of difficulty. (I scribed the first half of the class and Renee's Starr was the only dog that got a perfect second outrun during that time. :cool: ) The second group was to be brought down even with the first before we were to collect the first group. (The handler at the exhaust was to keep the first group on the field while the second group was being gathered.) Once together the 6 sheep were driven around the field and to the shedding ring (well actually a triangle marked by the post and two cones). Any three sheep were to be shed off and then penned. Keeping the two groups apart while penning proved difficult for many and several had to re-shed after their sheep regrouped. A few (including me) almost lost their sheep to be penned as they attempted to leave the field towards the exhaust (and into the trees) where the other three sheep had headed.

It was a fun, low key trial. The weather was poor (cold and wet), but Bruce is thinking of moving this trial to October next year. A trial to keep in mind for next year.

Mark

(too much detail???)

Good job Mark.... The only thing left out was that the handlers dinner the first night was a surprise baby shower for Linda. She is due to deliver their child (a daughter) on the 10th of January. We all partied, but were worn out by 6 pm. Fun bunch we were weren't we! Jello shots and pudding shots were supplied to those brave enough, (missed you Sam!) Actually, for those of us from the north, it was a mild weekend compared to the previous month, just damp, and that was what got to you. Next year should be in the fall, since the cost of gravel makes this trial an expensive endeavor for the Fogt's. By moving to the fall, they can remain small, but hopefully have better weather. There were fancy plaques for the class winners, and a shiny silver buckle for Open. Everyone tries to help out, and all have a good time. Marilyn

Sorry to take so long to respond, but for some reason work recognizes this forum as inappropriate and screens it out as 'provocative attire???" Can't access while at work.

Anyway, a pudding shot is a new creation.... and a good one too. Thanks Mark.. it was Scott. Kate got second though with Kim, not Hope. I hadn't realized Mark and Peg were new to Open. Looking very good!

NOw... pudding shots.....

One package of double dutch instant chocolate pudding, mixed with one cup of chocolate milk, and one cup of Bailey's or cheaper alternative. When that is mixed, fold in an 8 oz tub of extra creamy cool whip, and I put into 2 oz cups and froze, but I have the thought it would make a wonderful trifle with a second layer using vanilla pudding, and vanilla vodka! Third layer is stumping me though... any thoughts Sam? BTW, Tea is always available at my house.... (trailer)I am in shock regarding my entryfees for the Bluegrass, but will see you there. Glad you can come this year. I might make the trip to your new digs next year for your trial. Mark speaks highly of it. M

I don't usually join in the adult beverage discussion but the next layer is kind of obvious, isn't it? Strawberry! For a neopolitan . . . :rolleyes: