BC Boards

Just moved into college!

Congrats! I always loved the first week in a new place... Meeting all the neighbors, trying to find out what the decent food was, etc. I had CRAZY nutty engineers for neighbors in my dorm my last year of college. Well, I guess they thought I was really weird--the only history major they knew. :rolleyes:

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Toni,

I hear ya! I have degrees in chemistry and biology and have worked as a writer for 20 years....

Geoffrey,

My nephew is a senior at NC State this year. He plans to go to med school and get a PhD in biochemistry (?) or something like that. Nothing like a little ambition, huh?

Enjoy your time--college years are some of the best.

J.

Good luck. My boss' son is starting at NC State this year.

I am an ECU grad myself...I think I am one of the few that went in with a major (accounting) in mind and graduated within that major in 5 years with a bachelors and a masters. However, it not what I thought I wanted to do at the time but I really like it now!!!

Originally posted by Stafford:

I was a music major for a year, then got a B.A. in Russian Language. Now I'm a network engineer. Logical progression there, for sure.

Not that my husband took any Russian Language classes; however, he does especially enjoy Russian history and has taken a few classes for is history content background.

It always impresses me someone who takes up with another language!!!

Go Wolfpack!

I graduated from State in Zoology and Poultry Science back in the '80s and I'm now a full-time mom. My husband graduated from State in Economics and Business Management, got his MBA at Campbell, then went back to State when our boys were small and got a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

It's a great school! Study hard!

No NO NO! Don't you dare even consider writing unless you get your degree in English. And not at State where the last I heard the choices were in "reading", "writing", or "editing". come on! Could I have gone into math and had a choice of adding, subtracting, or multiflying!?!

Tech writing is the only way English majors stand a chance of eating! Well, one daughter is verifying assessments, the othe is teaching 4s & 5s at day care. Our son, who can read Anglo-Saxon (never mind Old English), and write alliterative verse is something with the words system, senior, analyst, and programmer last I remember. But that was because he answered the right question while wearing steel-toed shoes.

Congrats! I have a Bachelor's in English, actually, and work at Wendy's. I'm looking into going back for a Master's in English (technical writing, probably). Technical, or maybe even editing, I've heard there are chances in. With some or most other writing areas--you better have a job to get food on the table and do the writing in your spare time, until that writing becomes self-supporting.

Good luck. And hey, my minor will be Bio!