BC Boards

hiya, im new

Hiya everyone, im new here and thought i would introduce myself :rolleyes:

Anyway, my name is Dawn and im from Northern Ireland. I am 14 years old and i adore animals. I volunteer at an animal sanctuary and have always owned pets. I would love to be a vet in the future!

Recently i rescued a dog from the dog pound. She is Border Collie cross and is called Holly. She is about 3 years old and is very affectionate, she loves to be petted but can be slightly nervous. We think she might be crossed with a Whippet, you cant really tell from the pics but in real life you can. She has settled in very well and has put on loads more weight since she arrived (she only came to us weighing 8kg! you could see every bone in her body). She was abused in her last home so i think that is why she is quite nervous, she is also more nervous of men than women.

In the summer i may take her to agility classes as i think she would love it but at the moment she needs to learn some other basic obedience. She knows how to sit, lie down, give paw and wave but thats it. She also cant be let off the lead cause she runs straight home lol.

Here are a few pics of Holly -

244fc609.jpg

holly4.jpg

holly5.jpg

this is really great ...you'll do a wonderful job and the dog looks fine ...just take your time and settle into some kind of nice comfortable routine with your new friend , so she has time to forget whatever needs to be forgotten and start anew with her best friend .

She might want to settle a bit and try happiness :rolleyes:

Welcome, Dawn! Beautiful dog -- doesn't look whippet to me, looks an awful lot like my Allie (who is a purebred BC). Holly could be a mix, but I have also had several people tell me that Allie must be part whippet (that long lean body, with the nipped waist).

In any event, Holly is a beauty.

Welcome!

I really like her face - she reminds me of my Kessie for some reason . Her eyes, especially.

That's funny about the whippets. Someone once asked me if Kessie was a whippet (or greyhound? They're both called Windhund in German so I don't know). I thought that person was tactfully suggesting that my dog might not be getting enough to eat! Maybe every dog with a visible waist is a whippet these days :rolleyes:

Your girl looks very BC to me

Welcome!!!

I got my dog Riven from a local shelter almost 2 months ago now. She also was abused, and deals with being nervous around people she doesnt know. It's getting better, and she's a joy to have around. Kudos to you for rescuing her, and your desire to continue to help animals.

Hi Dawn,

Holly is a beautiful girl! I am really glad you found these boards, the people and dogs here are very helpful. I also have a rescue dog we have had for 1 month. She was also a bit nervous but has settled in very well. Holly sounds like she is a very smart girl.

Keep us posted!

Kari and Kit from Minnesota

Welcome, Dawn! Holly is gorgeous! I am so happy for her and you. It sounds like it's a match made in heaven. We rescued our girl, Sydney, this year, and we've gone through many of the same things. She was skinny, possibly abused, and very nervous. She is now much more confident and perhaps a bit too healthy now (we are cutting back her food a bit now, lol). We've had a couple of people ask if she was part greyhound. I think it is from when her ears are laid back. It is so funny to hear other people say similar things. Anyway, welcome! (I'm new here as well.)

~Kelly Deneen

Well, Holly sure is a cutie (and a lucky girl)! I have a BC/whippet cross named Ali. He looks like a BC-colored whippet, basically - no coat to speak of, built exactly like a whippet, sighthound ears, but marked almost identically to my full-blood BC. He runs like a sighthound, but he crouches and stares at stock like a BC, plus he has a natural gather. So he has something from both whippet and BC.... but what I can't figure out is why he spends most of his time acting like a kangaroo on caffiene. I'm pretty sure he has almost NO kangaroo in his ancestry, and we try to limit his coffee intake to 3 or 4 gallons a day. :rolleyes:

I had a BC who was just as deep-chested and wasp-waisted as Ali is, but had a gorgeous BC coat, so people often took him for a cross even though he wasn't. To me, Holly looks all BC, but who knows? It doesn't really matter - she sounds like a good dog, regardless of what her parents are, so whatever her heritage, she turned out just fine.

thank you for all the nice comments. yes well it doesnt realy matter if she is crossed or not, in the end we still love her. she is already over-coming her nervousness a bit but we still do have a long way to go. She will bark at people who come to the door but if they come inside she will run away and hide lol