BC Boards

ABCA policy changes

blackacre

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I too would be horrified to discover I had no coffee. It really sucks getting up way before the sun to face sharing the roads with drivers that are terrified of the roads after a winter storm (even two days later). Having to do that with no coffee would really put me in a bad mood.

That happens down your way too?

Sunday I drove out to my sheep in our wee snowstorm. The bloody frightened hordes were creeping along, tremblingly, at 40 km an hour. A trip that ordinarilly takes 45 minutes took me an hour longer. I ask you. Get yourself snow tires and four wheel drive, people. You live in Canada, eh?

A.

God, I am glad that I was not in the same country that you were in when you woke up without coffee. It could be hazardous to my mental health.

I also am glad that I did not have to drive the 401 or 407 (the only two roads in Canada) when you were on your little sheep excursion. I am trying these days not to live on the edge. With my luck, I would have been the pool fool in front of you.

Flatlanders are flatlanders, whether they're Canucks or Massholes.I think I'd rather have them driving along at a snail's pace, keeping the shiny side up and the greasy side down, than the approach that I've seen taken in the Detroit area: I have four wheel drive. Even though I don't know how to use it, it's supposed to help in bad weather, so I continue to drive like a bat out of hell until I hit either another car or a bridge footing.

Down here the "frightened hordes" are pushed over the edge by our news organizations who like to sensationalize everything, even the weather. This morning it was "watch out for all the black ice" so of course every damp section of road had to be covered with black ice despite the presence of salt and temperatures no lower than the mid 20s F. You should have seen how long we had to endure the "talking heads" and their special news coverage of "the day the ground shook". It's pretty bad when they are interviewing callers about what they saw, heard and felt during the earthquake.

"Umm, a couple of my cabinet doors opened. But they really don't latch tight."

"At first I thought it was a low flying jet, but then it kept going so I decided it must have been an earthquake."

An interview with a State Police Officer when something like this:

"Have you been receiving many calls about the earthquake?"

"Well, quite a few mostly reporting the noise."

"How do you plan to respond to the earthquake?"

"If we receive an emergency call we'll respond as needed."

"Have you received any reports of damage?"

"We don't have jurisdiction over structural issues. If we receive calls about traffic lights being out or accidents we'll respond."

Got to love the "talking heads" when they're trying to make news out of a non-event.

Mark

But Bill, didn't you know:

"I have a 4x4, I am invincible. No snow storm will stop me......"

Of course they forget that they still have to stop, either with their brakes or some immovable object. BTW the driving you've seen in Detroit is present in many cities. I've seen it in Denver and it is definitely here in the DC metro area.

Mark

Mark

My Pagel clan is from Aurora, ILL, then they spread all over....WI, MI, rumor in Mass.....there are not much of us so no doubt we are related somehow. My grandfather came from a huge family.

Here is a old link Cousin Vinny put together of the Pagel's he found:

http://vincent.pagel.free.fr/PAGEL/world.html

(way out of date)

Hey, we need more of the Pagel clan in herding.....

Diane Pagel

Carnation, WA

I hate to say it, but it's not a lot better on the post-storm driving in AK. At least out in the Valley (not sure how it goes for Roz), we have three groups of winter drivers: the group that drives Blackacre insane (creeping creeping, even if the roads are dry and clear), the group that Bill and Mark know and don't adore (four wheel drive means you can drive as fast as you want in all terrains and conditions, don'tcha know - stopping? what's that?), and the rest of us, who are trying to dodge groups one and two. It seems like more than half of the ditch divers are people with 4x4s, actually, maybe thinking that invincible thing. Until they hit a slick patch, a guard rail, a snow berm, a moose...

P.S.: Epistaxis and blepharospasm. Which is cheating, I think, since those are my two favorites from vet school...

Hey Dog Doc! When we were last in AK we helped push a 4x4 back onto the road (it was in a ditch on the edge of the road). Seems these 'tourists' thought they could take their 4x4 onto the snow mobilt/ski trail! :rolleyes:

Here in Kansas City the drivers forget how to drive at the first drop of any precipitation.

Supercalifragilistic (sp?)

Pam

Hey, I am one Michigan driver that as previously stated drives by touch. Mark, Andrea and Sam have first hand knowledge of this.

We have our first snow of substance. Snow can make it much more difficult to drive by touch as you never know how much you will slide after you do brake.

Started to take hubby's new 4 wheel drive truck (has more bells and whistles than I can keep straight) into town because of the snow (and my van has that needle wiggling funny up and down on an oil pressure gage).

Had a little problem. Did you know that although you cannot slip much when you put it in four wheel drive, you also cannot turn as sharply? I am buying husband a new mailbox for Christmas. Just thought that I should warn everyone about the sharp turn thing.

Also it may be prudent to find the window scaper and use it before taking off. Sometimes it is nice to see what you are touching.

The driving pointer for the day: After you bump into something, when you quickly get out of the vehicle to see what you "bumped", be careful not to hit the door locks if the key is still in the ignition. It will cost you extra money to hire a locksmith.

Now that I have imparted my newfound knowledge to the list. Does anyone have the name of a good divorce lawyer?

?Braille Method of Driving?

by Terry S.

Should be a good book; will there be pictures and illustrations?

Terry, I suggest an Hummer H1 or NYC Cab for your next vehicle; both should offer you the best protection from those pesky moving mail boxes, trees, etc that jump out in front of you.

Mark

This is getting way over my head. My note (NOT my dictionary!) says:

sterquilinian: of the dung heap

or the alternative, steroricolous: living in dung.

As in, "Without my caffeine and nicotine in the morning, I feel steroricolous."

Or

"This thread is now tending toward the sterquilianian."

Misspellings don't count if the word's not in the dictionary.

Must be winter; ya'll have too much time on your hands (entertaining as it is...).

diane

>>on the mighty, mighty Fox.

ah, the mighty Fox river...as a small child I remember it being on fire......

...uh, keeping this dog related.....I got a new dog...her name is Zot. She is 2.5 yrs old, tons of freckles and spoiled rotten. The sheep run from her or as in last weekend, ran over me to get away from her. She has a bit of power, you might say. It's like driving a Porsche but I am used to a 240ZX.

Diane Pagel

Tess, Zot, Mick, Silas, Koko, Bonnie, Shiro, Libbi, Kate

Hey Sam,

Since it is the middle of the week, it can't be a real nasty trial week-end and your dogs'performance(s)was less than stellar or under 80 points.

So could it be that your or your dogs did something less than brilliant in the presence of the Master?

Make my day, tell me in graphic detail about your humbling experience. Will it make my top 10 list?

I am going to take a wee 2 hour round trip to get my puppy exercise pens back from my oldest daughter. The children are quick to "borrow" stuff from Mom and Dad but slow to return it. My Christmas trees' can't take much more from Maniac Mick.

I never sit at the foot of the master, I usually have his size tens planted firmly up my butt. I went for a checkup with WEE Todd yesterday and he took great delight in handing me a radio and sending me to the other end of the field...He had me run down the field about oh I dunno, felt like ten times...in the F'ing mud, almost busted my ass many times..the little moron lasted about one hour and fifteen minutes the first time...we quit and he was hardly out out breath..Me I had a stitch in my side and had peed my pants about the 50th time he made me run. I was covered in mud and grinning ear to ear...believe it or not, he said Todd has come back worlds better..so I am pleased that the rest might have done some good and eager to get back to work.

So hows the puppy? I am sitting here guiltily thinking of all my mothers tuperware and other things she has lent me...guilty as charged on the whole kid thing...bad sam...

Making Choc Chip cookies, wanna come work dogs and eat chocolate?

Terry,

if your husband is going to do all the driving, you can enjoy your favorite holiday drinks. One of my favorites is hot spiced cider with spiced rum. That reminds me I need to pick up a few things on my way home (cider, cinnamon sticks, whole allspice, whole cloves, brown sugar, rum).

Mark