BC Boards

Does your dog have to be AKC reg. to get CGC?

INU

We heard about CGC and planning to take the test in the future. I just read that CGC is by AKC which my pup isn't registered for. She is ABC registered. Does she have to be registered with AKC just to take the test? or can she still take that without it? --I think it shouldn't matter if you are registered or not.

No, your dog does not have to be AKC registered to take the CGC test.

For what it's worth, my fear aggressive dog passed the CGC with flying colors. As a matter of fact, he performed so well that the tester asked if I was interested in doing therapy work with him. It took me about five minutes to control my laughter, and then I had to explain why I was laughing. What I am trying to say is that I am not sure how worthwhile a test the CGC really is.

If you are interested in temperament testing, the ATTS (American Temperament Test Society, I think) does tests, as does TDI, Therapy Dogs International. Their tests are more rigorous, and are not associated with the AKC.

I will say, however, that a CGC is a handy certificate to have on a dog if you're trying to increase goodwill with your friends, neighbors, landlord, etc. Authorities tend to be impressed with a CGC certification, and I've heard of CGCs being required for some dog parks or other public spaces. I have mixed feelings about the CGC, because it is associated with AKC, but I do feel that it is a worthwhile program and am considering testing my other dog just so I can have certificates on both of them. You never know when you might have to pull out those certificates and wave them around at the powers-that-be.

CGC is the Canine Good Citizenship Test (sponsored by AKC, but open to all dogs). Supposedly, it's very helpful if you want to rent a house or apartment or stay at a motel that usually doesn't accept dogs. Tests vary greatlydepending on who is testing and where the test is being given.

Barb Scott

CGC is also administered by a Canadian group - HABAC - human animal bond association of Canada. The dogs need not be registered. Also, the CKC does this testing type but calls it Canine Good Neighbour. It is a nice idea for beginners, and the general public who need some help in understanding their role and the dog in association with the general public. It promotes a beginning of social control of the dog by the owner/handler. It involves walking among others, staying with a stranger quietly, following the guide of the leash, etc. Just general basics.

• 4 months later...

We just finished the basic obedience class last night. The instructor told us that Jazzy could pass CGC already. I thought she still needed work in some areas but I was actually thinking about taking the test. Now my questions is once your pup is certified, can you do some therapy work (not serious ones but just visiting hospitals etc). I wasn't sure if pups were allowed to go to these places but she is pretty calm for her age. Or is there some other tests you need to take in order to do that?

Whether or not you can take even a dog with a CGC depends on the facility. Some places like some nursing homes don't even care and I cringe at some of the dogs allowed in there. CGC certainly would be to your advantage, but many of these facilities don't even know what a CGC is (judging by some of the obnoxious pets that are allowed to come in).

If you're looking to have your dog certified as a therapy dog, I think they must be at least a year old, for all of the therapy dog organizations. I currently have 2 actively working with Delta Society & the dog must be at least a year old in order to be certified by Delta. I'm assuming the other therapy dog organizations must be similar in their requirements. BTW, for Delta Society, a CGC is half of their testing for certification.

What I've done with my past therapy dogs (total of 5 dogs certified by Delta Society), is to use nursing homes as a training ground. It a place where there's a concentration of ambulatory devices, hubbub of things clattering, voices & emotions in those voices, people who might have erratic movements because they no longer have the muscular control that people normally do, people who are bent over (which for many dogs is very intimidating)---it's a wonderful training ground.

I would take advantage of any facility that would let you take your dog in. Your skills as a handler and 50% of the "team" become finely tuned as well.

Couple of hints---trim your dog's nails the night before. The skin of the elderly is fragile & tears easily and freshly trimmed nails might be too jagged . Bathe your dog before you take her in, even though she might seem clean to you. I would also take hand wipes that you can pass out to patient who has touched the dog to minimize transfer of germs.

Go for it. It really is rewarding.

Vicki

Some places like some nursing homes don't even care and I cringe at some of the dogs allowed in there. CGC certainly would be to your advantage, but many of these facilities don't even know what a CGC is (judging by some of the obnoxious pets that are allowed to come in).

Here in some of the Provinces it is more and more common now that in order to do pet therapy in Nursing Homes you need to have a St. John's Ambulance Therapy Dog Certificate, which is really nice to see, instead of just letting anyone and their dog in.

For what it's worth, my fear aggressive dog passed the CGC with flying colors. As a matter of fact, he performed so well that the tester asked if I was interested in doing therapy work with him
My friend's dog is very afraid of people, but he just freezes into a little ball, however, he absolutely shines in visiting nursing homes - he is not the last bit intimidated by the elderly, wheelchairs, staff members etc. It is quite amazing the difference in him when he walks through the doors. The only other place that he never reacts is working sheep. Anyone can work him on stock and he doesn't notice, BUT take the sheep away and he will immediately be scared stiff of the person that was just working with him.

Therapy Dog Certificate, which is really nice to see, instead of just letting anyone and their dog in.
If I walk into a place with one of my dogs, ready to work, & there is another dog there who really shouldn't be there (judging by it's behavior or it's owner's behavior), I will turn around and walk out. If something goes down, I don't want to be anywhere near the scene and a visual of my dog in the vicinity of the trouble, left in the minds of anyone there. We make ourselves scarce.

Vicki

So, being a therapy dog is a job with commitment not something you can do on a side. (I'm talking about dogs point of view)

Jazzy already has a main job and I thought when she has time she could do something in our spare time to help others. It sounds like that's something maybe we can consider when she retires or do with another dog.

Working as a therapy dog can be one of many jobs for one individual dog. It never ceases to amaze me how the dog "Switches hats", depending on the job at hand. Not a problem. With my first border collie Pete, we would go from working sheep in the morning to nursing home therapy in the afternoon (after a bath of course).

And when we walk through the hospital doors, the dogs are all business.

I would say go for it. The more you can widen her range of experiences, the better, and knowing your own dog, you'll know when she's had enough.

That's important too--to know when to cut it off, when to call it quits for the day.

Vicki

That?s a really important point to make, Vicki. Even my previous boy Sam would only manage about 90 minutes at a stretch. The pups started very young (by request of the facilities we visit, after Sam died), but even now, when they?re 2, they only last about 45 minutes. When we do a longer visit at a couple of nursing homes, I switch them half way through the visit.

I had to laugh at Melanie?s story.

For what it's worth, my fear aggressive dog passed the CGC with flying colors. As a matter of fact, he performed so well that the tester asked if I was interested in doing therapy work with him.
My Sam would not have passed a CGC because he really didn?t like dogs he knew close up to him. But he was a much loved and valued therapy dog ? people in our facilities still talk about him 2 years down the track. We were just careful if there were other dogs around, especially if they were not on lead. (I remember one patient in the palliative care centre thinking it was hugely funny that Sam had to hide behind her chair when there was a dog half his size roaming the corridor. ?Don?t worry Sam, you?ll be safe with me? she said.)