BC Boards

my b/c does not know how to play.

my B/C is a very good dog and is very smart,she is eager to please us. she even has a boy friend named king who lives nex door and they play good together, but she will not play fetch with me.some time she will run after a ball but will not bring it back to me.she is two years old and loved very much and if she will not play fetch with us that is ok,but if some one could give me a few tips to help us get her to play with us that would be grate. thanks BOB MATHISON

My Maggie isn't very into fetch either; I've used a clicker to shape a retrieve and always reward her when she comes to me with a ball or frisbee and it seems to be increasing her interest in playing fetch somewhat.

OK, try this -

Take some really good "cookies" (hot dog bites, cheese balls, etc..) and go play in the yard with her with them. Throw one through your legs (behind you)and tell her to go get it, turn around facing her and call her back to you and as she is coming at you toss another one through your legs (behind you) and again tell her to get it. Keep "playing" with food as the motivator. Gradually you can introduce 1 toy instead of a cookie and reward, then you can start in with 2 toys. The toys need to be "special" to keep the interest. If she doesn't get the toy you can run out to it and get it yourself and have your own little "party" with the toy :>) Make a big to do over the "toy" and then toss it again. You can also teach her, with a motivator, to hand deliver the toy instead of dropping it wherever. Hand delivery gets you a cookie, dropping it wherever doesn't.

Karen

I don't know your dog's history but this is a common problem with rescue dogs who haven't been exposed to toy or play. I use tugs initially to play with them; if the dog won't take a tug in their mouth, put a dab of peanut butter where you want his mouth to be, then tease him with it until he grasps it. After learning tug, I've found it fairly easy to move on to balls, throw toys,etc. You can also use a frisbee as a feeding dish for dry food which puts the dog scent on it (as well as food scent) - I know it sounds strange but I've done this for a number of dogs who wouldn't play frisbee and all of them have grasped the concept of chasing the frisbee. Lots of praise and "happy" body language also helps. Try toys with different types of textures. Some dogs like soft cloth frisbees, some like hard ones - same way with balls, some like tennis or hard rubber, some like softer ones.

There are some dogs, however, who never learn how to play with toys. For those dogs, they may it fun to interact with you on other levels - such as practicing (repeatedly) sits, downs, stays, find me, watch me, etc

Sorry this post is so long but hope some of the suggestions are helpful.

I started with exciting squeaky toys when Tess was little. I would squeak the toy, jump around like a fool, and then throw it down the hall. She would run after it and then I would call to her, running around and hiding somewhere, and she'd come find me. When she got to me, I would squeak a different toy, she would drop the one she had, and then I'd throw the other one. Then we'd repeat the whole thing.

She likes frisbee better than ball for fetch because she knows when she brings the frisbee back (we have a very sturdy fabric one), I will play tug with her. She LOVES tug. It is her favorite game.

Generally, the more exciting I make the game, more likely my dog is to play.

My younger dog I taught to play fetch with a long line. I would throw the toy, he'd run after it and pick it up, and I'd reel him in even if he dropped the toy somewhere along the way. After awhile, he caught on. Now I just have issues with him dropping the toy about 3 feet away. It's always something!

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

I've been playing with Meg like another dog since she was very little. She gets so giddy about it after a while that she starts rolling around on her back belly up. I prance on the ground with my front paws in a opening volley to say...Ya wanna play? Then I will jump up and down and dart from side to side and run around her and bump her and paw her in the air. WE also try to lick each other's ears and go around in a circle trying to be first.

Some people are a little too dignified to do this but it just might help.

I did the same with Oreo as Heidi with Meg - I'd get down on all fours and prance around and make noises and shoulder-butt her. Oreo usually prefers to just play quietly on her own, but she loves it when you get down on all fours. (And she has NO interest in the game of "fetch"). I don't do this with Zoe because we have hardwood floors, hurts my knees. :rolleyes:

Many have given you good advice,

My Emma is a soft dog . she would not play .

Until we found the ball on a rope attached to a stick .once we got the ball going in a circle she started to chse it .wewhere able to transfer that to tossing Tennis balls now she goes nuts when she sees a chuck it .

You may want to try a long tud toy that has long strands of flece at the end of it so it fluters when moved . all ways move the toy AWAY from the dogs mouth NEVER push it towards the dogs mouth. Youmay want to soak a sock in some soup broth or what ever and put some smelly treats in it thanm let the dog have it and try to tug getlie so as not scear the dog . One mor think again put some of your dog best treats ie stake chicken in a paper bag tie it up and give it to your dog most dogs will tear it apart to get the food . this is beging play.

take your time be patient and do not give up. LOL

bobh

Once you get her to retrieve a ball and bring it back to you, be prepared, you may end up throwing out your arm.

Tuck will play fetch for hours if you keep throwing the ball for him. And when your done throwing, he'll keep coming back, repeatedly picking up the ball and dropping it with a look in his eyes like, "come on now, it's only been an hour, throw it again, throw it again."

Hehehe, anyway good luck.

• 8 months later...

Well everyone has pretty much told you what you need to know but I'll give my two cents anyway. I had that same problem when I rescued Black Jack. He hadn't played all his life (he's also around two) It took about three days of throwing the ball for him to start playing. What I started doing thanks to some help from Beth G. is I would put the tennis ball on the ground, put my arms on the ground in front of me, my butt in the air (which means PLAY!) and started playing with it. Everytime he would start to play with it, or show interest in it I would give him a treat. It didn't take him to long to start playing. It's like all of a sudden he found out that playing is fun! It was hard for a few days to throw anything for him since he had been beaten, but he loves playing now. He can't chase the frisbee enough. Hope this helps. Good luck.

ETA: I forgot to add that I also would take the tennis ball in my hand and move it side to side in front of his face to get him interested in it. I have learned BC's love things that move side to side :rolleyes: