BC Boards

Boo is home

It's been a pretty challenging and eventful week for me. On Tues my mare bucked me off--at a gallop. I managed to stay with her on the first one, but she did it again after the next stride and I was launched like a lawn dart. I was riding her out on the ranch alone, and all I can say is I'm a pretty lucky girl, all things considered, didn't hit a rock, or a cactus and nothing is broken. The initial impact was my left seat bone and small of my back. I injured some soft tissue in my lower back, and where my femur articulates in the hip socket on the left side. I had to hobble back about a 1/2 mile to where my trailer was parked, catch up and load my mare and drive home. I knew the hurt was going to get alot worse before it got better so as soon as I got home I called my doctor, took some Ibuprofen and put ice on it. A friend took me in to the Dr and then to get my pelvis X rayed. So I've been on some heavy-duty prescription pain meds, Ibuprofen and cold packs since Tues. My friend has lent me her walker to get around. It has a seat so I can sit and propel myself around my house backward. Thank goodness I live in a ranch style house, so I don't have to deal with stairs (except to go out the back door and porch) I can walk some, but I'll frequently get a searing pain when I try to move my left leg, and getting out of bed first thing in the morning is a real project. (By the way, anyone interested in buying a stunning but goofy QH mare?) So it was in this state that I brought Boo home yesterday after his neuter surgery.

Here's what I've learned about him so far. My vet thinks he's about 4 years old (the pound had him aged at 10 months to 1 year). He's fearful of men, barking ferociously while quickly darting around, approaching and retreating. He did finally listen to me when I commanded him to stop and sit. None of this behavior was evident around the male animal control officers at the pound who brought him out and back to his kennel when I went to visit. He was rather fearful of my vet, who is very conscientous about making dog's feel comfortable before trying to examine them. He appears very biddable, but he's naturally in a very excitable state, having been confined at the pound for 3 weeks.He will calm down after a while and and will turn into a wet noodle when I rub his belly. I've been keeping him isolated in my separately fenced side yard since he's supposed to stay subdued while he recovers from the surgery. I've made a point to spend alot of time sitting quietly with him. Kit is mildly interested in him. I held him on the leash while I introduced her. She immediately went into a play bow, and he reciprocated. I had to separate them shortly after, as I'm in no shape to control his enthusiasm. Minnie is in denial. She wants nothing to do with him and barely acknowledged his presence. She's very stressed and unhappy about the whole situation. Last night she was panting and pacing and pawing me. It didn't help that there were fireworks going off last evening, and it's been very windy which tends to freak her out as well. I've literally had to drag her out in the yard to go potty since he's been here, even though he is safely confined in an area away from the rest of my fenced backyard. Normally, this time of year she loves being out in the yard, catching a snooze under the shade of the pine trees. I'm pretty well exhausted after waking up last night with the kind of sensation in my hip that you get when you bang your funny bone. I started feeling better after taking a fistful of meds and putting an icepack on it. I'm also getting a popping in my spine when I lift my left leg. I've already got Boo signed up for obedience class. It starts next Sat, but I'm not sure if I'll be fully ambulatory by then. I took a few pictures last night. I'll post them in the gallery later. I need a nap now.

You know, Nancy, your horse incident suddenly makes me feel not so bad about being allergic to them. I hope your recovery is quick and complete.

Have fun in your obedience class. I hope it isn't as physically demanding as the ones I teach. I think I'd have you sit out until the next session started with all your poor body has been through.

When I was around 12, a friend and I got a job breaking Shetlands. He just wanted them rideable so he could sell them. We thought we had the greatest job in the world! Bruises and bumps were displayed proudly! Ahhh, youth!

Hope you are better soon! The new pup will get you up and about no matter what so hurry and feel better!

Oh Nancy, thank God you are ok! I know you hurt real bad right now but it could have been a whole lot worse. Your description vividly reminds me of when I got bucked off my go-cart. Ain't no fun! Take your meds, take it easy, and I hope you heal very quickly. It sounds like you have plenty of things waiting on you to keep you busy!

Take real good care of yourself!

I'm beginning to find out how protective and territorial aussie's can be. I've been around at least a half dozen before, via friends, neighbors, and my former boarding barn. They were all very sociable. Now Boo has never shown me anything but utter adoration thus far (unless you count the 20 minutes it took me to catch him and wrangle him into my truck the day I found him). But today, two sets of neighbors came by to see how I was doing and to make his acquaintance, and he behaved rather ferociously to men and women both. It's clear he considers his yard, well, his yard. One of my neighbors was really afraid of him. He'd settle momentarily when I firmly told him to sit or put him in a down, then he'd jump up and charge the fence barking. Then I put him on a leash to maintain firmer control, but in my current condition this was not something I was physically able to be very effective with. So we mutually decided to save any further introductions for another day. Considering he was a four year old un-neutered male, does anyone have any notion of how firmly this behavior might be ingrained? There was no indication of any aggressiveness while he was at the pound for the last three weeks. When we go to obedience class I'll be better able to help him with this issue. I sure hope I'll be up to the challenge by next weekend. I'm afraid I got a little too ambitious today and I'm really paying the price now.

Edited to add: Oh and the boy has no idea what a treat is. I've tried dog biscuits and beef jerky, and he's not interested in the least. Even put a piece of jerky in his mouth and he spit it out. Is he an oddball or what?

He may still be a bit stressed out, Nancy, with all that's been going on, and trying to work out his place in the new situation. So what you're seeing may not be the real dog.

As far as treats go, his failure to take them may be because of stress - or he may just need to get started with something super-yummy. Few dogs can resist roast chicken, or dried liver (or chicken wings - raw.)

It's such a shame for you (and for him) that you hurt yourself so much. But anyway - for the moment, he's safe, and while it's frustrating that you can't do what you want to do with him just now, another couple of weeks isn't likely to hurt, given you don't know what's been going on before.

I've never used one, so I'm only asking the question, but would a head-halter help with the lead control issue while you're not at full strength? I don't know, though, it may be tricky to ease him into accepting it if he's not very keen to take treats. You would have to introduce it very gradually, when he's in a safe place by himself with you.

You must be feeling so frustrated, as well as very sore (in the painful sense). I do hope things improve for you. It's a great thing you've done.

So glad you weren't hurt! My goodness! You need to ride with a partner or a Nextel! You need to have your L-spine xrayed. You may have pinched a nerve.

Hopefully all will work out with Boo. Maybe it is just stress.

Take care, go easy with that walker!

I'm so glad Boo is home and settling in. It is difficult when an animal is afraid of a certain sex.

As for your mare..no sorry we sold a really silly buckskin mare last year. lol we may breed QH but not when they seem to be insane lol

Collin & Dianne

Alberta Winds Quarter Horses