BC Boards

AK Dog Doc

muddy bob

Originally posted by Pipedream Farm:

You know I've gone so far to find an article in which the author determined that coat color makes no difference on how hot a dog will get in the sun; and I saved the link for when this topic come up again.

Alright then, I propose a geek-off between Mark and AK Dog Doc. No one else can enter unless they genuinely believe they can out-geek the resident geeks. Here is an excerpt from the coat color article:

The absolute humidity initially almost doubled (P< 0.001), but then fell, although remaining significantly higher than that of ambient air. It was concluded that an initial burst of sweating was followed by lower but continuing secretion.
What the heck are they talking about? I thought we all knew that dogs don't sweat except through their pads?

And what a useful term: "coat air."

Ooh, teacher, call on me!

Alaska writes:

What the heck are they talking about? I thought we all knew that dogs don't sweat except through their pads?
Dogs, like humans, have two general types of sweat glands: Apocrine and eccrine.
Apocrine glands are the major type of sweat gland in dogs, and the distribution of eccrine sweat glands is limited to the footpad. Apocrine sweat gland tumors are rather common in dogs and tend to occur on the head, neck, and limb. Link.
A PubMed search on "dogs + sweat glands" will produce over 90 abstracts, if you'd like to read more. :cool:

You folks can geek to your hearts' content. i jsut want to know I can get a hint from AK DOG DOC when I need to know what to ask my vet. And he's so willing to consider the stuff I learn here. I think I have the best of all possible vet worlds.

Have to say that my vet is lots easier to deal with than my last own doctor.

Well, you can always post it! :rolleyes: I try to stop in here pretty frequently, time permitting.... which it doesn't always, unfortunately. :D Doesn't the rest of the world know I need my BC Board time? What is WRONG with them? :D

As to the geek-off - oh no. I am NOT going to take Mark on in any sort of intellectual contest. He'd wipe the floor with me. I know when I'm out-classed! (Scampers away with her intellectual tail tucked between her legs). Maybe if we got him drunk first to give me a fighting chance.... :D

Originally posted by AK dog doc:

As to the geek-off - oh no. I am NOT going to take Mark on in any sort of intellectual contest. He'd wipe the floor with me. I know when I'm out-classed! (Scampers away with her intellectual tail tucked between her legs). Maybe if we got him drunk first to give me a fighting chance.... :rolleyes:

Pssst, the internet can be a great source of info; the trick is knowing which sites to believe and which sites to ignore.

Mark

I'll drink to that.

Now if I can only convince upper managment to start product development on a canine titer test panel (oh say up to 10 analytes) that can be run in a vet's office in 15 min on whole blood with equal performance as a lab run test. We (our company) has the know how; just no will (or willingness to layout the money).

That would be something to drink to.

Mark

Thanks, Sheryl!

:rolleyes: Mark, if only more people would get it about which to believe/which to ignore... :D (Okay, maybe I should include myself in that...?) And I'd drink to the in-house titer test, too, but I'm pretty sure I would be willing to drink to lesser events as well (unfortunately it's not legal to mail wine, or I would....) :D

AK Dog Doc,

A company can ship wine so why can't your "wine company" ship wine (or is it an Alaska thing)? I know you can't ship to Maryland where Mark lives but you can ship to me in Virginia and I will be sure to deliver it to Mark, really I will, yep sure will deliver it :rolleyes:

You betcha!

As to the wine thing, evidently it's considered hazmat (even though I SWEAR I've never poisoned anyone with it!... very much.) :rolleyes: Hence, unless you're a liscenced winery or broker/vendor, you can't ship, I gather - not even via FedEx, UPS or DHL et al. (The BF flies for FedEx, you'd think I'd get a break...) :D

But yes, I DO trust that you'd send it right on to Mark's place. :D

Next time I have rellies from that neck of the woods up here I'll see if they will carry some back and you all can duke it out as to who gets to run over to my mommie's house and snag it. (Since I am currently saving up for something big, no trips for me for a while. Unless Dave gets a long layover in Paris or somehwere and wants me to meet him there....)

My mommie lives in DE just over the MD border. She was the way-station and wine mule for the Buddy wine I sent Eileen (via mom's carry-on) a couple of years ago. Mom's a gracious sort of person and though she and Eileen didn't meet in person (Mom had a minor surgery scheduled) they arranged some sort of a drop for it - you know, like in the spy movies. Go up the steps, turn right, walk two paces; whistle like nightengale and listen for the return signal. Your contact will be disguised as a large paper bag with a Nordstrom's logo. A faint clinking noise will be heard from within.... You know, the usual. :rolleyes: