BC Boards

Worn Down Teeth

PeterBal

My BC is a HUGE fan of playing with tennis balls and frisbees. I've always noticed that his canines on the top and bottom were a little "dull," but recently it seems like they are getting more and more flattened.

I know he doesn't chew on rocks and there is no fencing in our large yard, which makes me think it could be the toys. However, the frisbee is a Nylabone frisbee, BUT the tennis balls I think have, almost like an asbestos fiber in them, which may be, for all intents and purposes, "sanding" his canines down (yes, he plays with a tennis ball that much - it's like his pacifier).

My question is, at what point should I start, if at all, worrying about how much his teeth are getting flattened? Anyone have any experience with this type of problem.

Thanks in advance!

Tennis balls are terrible for dogs' teeth, for the reasons you have already mentioned. While you cna file down most dog teeth pretty far before reaching any nerves, it's not a good idea to press the issue.

My dogs play with hockey balls. They are durable, they don't bounce too much, they float and they are plastic or something non-fiberous. A superior alternative.

RDM

Tess does not have ongoing access to her fetching toys (otherwise she would not fetch them!) but she does chew up tennis balls. So after 3 tennis balls from Petco were chomped in half, I went with some synthetic ones and they work great and so far I have not had to replace them. I got them at a pet store but I think they come from Planet Dog.

And Tess's teeth are plenty sharp. Fortunately she does not use them on me.

Allie & Tess

Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm going to try to get him to start using one of these two models from Planet Dog:

http://www.planetdog.com/dog-toys.asp?ID=645

http://www.planetdog.com/dog-toys.asp?ID=9

If anyone knows of a tennis ball-sized ball that bounces and is soft and durable please post the link. Thanks!!!

It'll be my BC, Simon's, Christmas present!

I use Pinkies - they are exactly the size of tennis balls, (fit right into a chuck-it) are solid, yet soft rubber, and are bright pink so that they show up in the leaves, grass, and mud of our local park.

They're about a dollar apiece, and I've found them at Albertson's, Ralph's, RiteAid, and a few other grocery or drug stores, in the kids toy section. And, they're stamped with the word 'Pinkie.' Accept no substitute!

Ruth n the Border Trio

Bonus about things that are the exact size of a tennis ball... they fit in a chuck-it.

None of the "orbee" balls -- not small, and not medium, fit into the chuck-it very well. Tess LOVES the small ones, though. I got two glow in the dark ones, and those are fab for night games.

I will look for a few pinkies myself and see if Tess goes for those. I have a feeling, though, that they would last about 3 minutes if they are the ones I am thinking of. Rubber, and very easily torn apart. Tess is an Industrial Chewer-Upper of toys.

Allie & Tess

I use racquet balls. They seem to be indestructible. They float, they bounce, they don't tear, and they are cheap. They are a bit too small for the chuck-it (they don't snap in there) but I still manage to pick them up with the chuck-it and send them flying pretty far.

I've tried the pinkies and raquetballs, but my BC Simon loves to squeeze them when he's watching the TV and eventually splits them at their equatorial seams.

And I can't use the hockey ball either as they are too hard and don't bounce. Simon and I love to pitcher-catcher whcih absolutley amazes people that don't know BCs. I literally throw the the tennis ball right at Simon's face and he catches it! Then he brings it back to me turns around goes out about 20' and gets into a herding position for another "pitch."

On a different note, let me just go on record here to say that if your BC likes to play frisbee, the Nylabone brand frisbee (which is clear - no color) is THE best frisbee for a dog on the market (http://www.buy4yourpet.com/yhst-89803158059540/nynf103.html). It costs about $11 but it literally lasts 1-2 years if you take somewhat decent care of it (don't leave it outside during winter, etc.).

Back to toy balls, I will update thi post once I try the Planet Dog models.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

When I realized that Fergie was sanding her canines flat, I got a package of 2 or 3 tennis-type balls that do not have silica in the fuzzy stuff.

Petsmart carries them - and at a very reasonable price. We've had them for several years. The only way I can distinquish them from our regular tennis balls is that there's a small American flag printed on Fergie's.

I have exactly the same problem. Jazzy is very picky when it comes to toys - used to play ONLY yellow real tennis balls. Nothing heavier, lighter, softer... Her canines are worn down and pretty flat. I went and bought tons of different balls but nothing worked for her - until I used this real cheap soft synthetic ball I got from Whataburger. It's a bit bigger but soft and safe even if it hits her face accidentaly.

After that one got worn out, I had 50 of those donated by a toy company (she is a service dog) and now she is totally obsessed with them. They come in three different sizes/shapes.

hedstrom03.jpg These are the big ones (look like foot ball) she now prefers these ones over the little ones I used initially. You can buy these at walmart or some of the grocery stores. I also found some at local dollar store.

Chiming in a bit late. Piper, too, has this problem. Her canine's are pretty flat...we've even considered getting them capped...She loves tennis balls but once we discovered they were the culprit we took them away, but not before I ordered 70 from ebay :eek: . Oh well. Now she only gets to play with them when she is working, i.e., like Jazz above, Piper too is a SAR dog and the tennis ball is her reward for when she has completed a problem . We switched her to a non-abrasive frisbee-she loves the nylabone frisbee one too.

As for pinkies, etc., I would love to get those things, but none of those stores are here in my town...probably the closest Walmart is about 2,000 miles away in Anchorage or Seattle, so...we make do. Maybe the next time I'm out of town, I'll try and find those.

Also, INU, Piper was wondering if Jazzy would like to share some of her toys with her...great picture!!!

Mia has the same issue but the pinkies from CVS or Rite Aid did the trick...... they do make tennis balls that are not suppose to wear on teeth. I believe you can find them at the "stores specifically for pets" like Pet's Mart, Pet Supplies Plus, etc.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Gimmie Sue and Mia

Psssst! Piper, i just went to the motherlode of pinkies today(Long's Drugstore) and got a half dozen for my guys - if you want, I could get some and ship them to you. Wouldn't take long at all, and as far as I know, pinkies aren't a controlled substance.

By the way, I don't leave toys down for any length of time. Samantha is a chewing fool, and will destroy anything, including the black, supposedly indestructible kongs, in pretty short order. I wouldn't mind so much if she just chewed things up, but she's decided she needs to swallow everything, too. Not good for the tummy, so they all play with their balls and toys under supervision only. Poor babies . . .

Ruth n the Border Trio

Hey Ruth, that would be awesome! Let me see if they have a website first and if not then I may take you up on your offer.

Oh and yes, back to you Peterbal, we don't leave tennis balls laying around the house anymore either...every now and then she finds one and we take it away...and then every now and then she finds the stash...oh well.

O/T Ruth (Urge to Herd) do you live near Petaluma? I went to K-2nd grade there and still stay in touch with a friend who now lives in the same town as you...small world.