BC Boards

Obedience when winded or energized?

My border, when she's playing fetch or doing something highly active, is REALLY bad at listening. She stands panting and largely ignoring. Some I understand is she's tired and doesn't want to do it, but I'm curious if there's a training technique for getting her to be more obedient during high energy activities like fetch. 

Rather than thinking that she’s being disobedient, maybe consider if she is experiencing sensory overload, stress, or exhaustion, that is affecting her ability to think. Or, maybe it is simply excitement. Maybe dial it down a bit at those times. IMO dogs rarely deliberately disobey their person. Most are people pleasers. Just my opinion.

Your dog is not being disobedient. Think about it in people terms: if you have just run or played an active game so hard you are standing there trying to get your breath, you will be less likely to want to respond to someone who asks you a question, and may feel as though that person is even being a bit rude, and could wait just a minute to ask.

What are you asking her to do while she is standing there panting? If it is a recall, I would wait a minute while she catches her breath. Or, if there is some emergent circumstance and you need to collect her up right away, walk towards her while recalling so she doesn't have as far to go, or forget the recall and just go to her. 

If you are asking for other things, lie a lie down or sit, I suggest you don't ask them when the dog is winded and panting.

A while back I had a question about my dog watching the deer across the road (titled Opinions Please) and Journey gave me some advice that I have been using in many different situations.  Her answer was:  "The way to know if it has or is becoming an obsession is to test your recall and games after a good bit of 'deer watching'. Should they fail you know the time to watch was too long, build it back up from there."  I've been using this as a guide for judging when my dogs are getting too focused, obsessed, or over-stimulated....and it is working well for me.  You are not getting response, so time to dial it back.  Too much ball-playing.  Also, this is very similar and along the same lines as your answer from Terrecar.  Totally agree with her;  dogs are generally people-pleasers. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi drharps -- if your dog isn't listening to you when you're playing fetch, I'd recommend that you only toss the ball as a reward for listening to you.  For example, make her heel and make eye contact with you, then, as a reward for the eye contact, throw the ball.  After she's gotten the concept, add in more commands before you throw the ball (for example, have her spin around, have her lie down, have her give you a high-five, whatever, so long as it's getting her to pay attention to your commands).  Once she understands that listening to you is the trigger to getting you to throw the ball, I think it'll make a big difference.  

Along the same vein, eventually, I'd make her stay in a heel for a few seconds after you throw the ball, then release her to go fetch it.  After she gets that down, I'd have her stop (lie down) half way to the ball before you release her to complete the fetch.  Then I'd have her lie down half way, then return to you, then release her to complete the fetch.  You can make it as challenging as you want to!

On 8/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, albuquerquedan said:

Along the same vein, eventually, I'd make her stay in a heel for a few seconds after you throw the ball, then release her to go fetch it.  After she gets that down, I'd have her stop (lie down) half way to the ball before you release her to complete the fetch.  Then I'd have her lie down half way, then return to you, then release her to complete the fetch.  You can make it as challenging as you want to!

We do this. It’s a nice way to mix it up and it gets the dog focusing on the handler more, rather than solely on the tossed object.

I also did this with my fetch-crazy border collie Jes. He was eager for the thing to be thrown, so he did any behavior I asked for in record time. Circle me and then do a figure eight between my legs and then sit nicely in front of me?   No problem, just throw the frisbee! 

Fetch does have its advantages. For example, if your shoes are by the back door but a USPS package was just delivered at the front gate, you can send your dog to grab it real quick.

926172F3-134E-4CCD-8C3B-45911C93E3AB.thumb.jpeg.72bae52d200e6e97d34842536e947c5a.jpeg

On 7/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, drharps said:

there's a training technique for getting her to be more obedient during high energy activities like fetch. 

drharps.

When the dog and i play i am always trying to control the pace. Daylight preference is for machine gun throwing(one right after the other), she is already running to catch the second toss before she drops the first toss from her mouth. 

I control the pace by several methods.

I use directions, if she starts to run one direction "i whistle" which stops her running and looks to me for direction of which way i will be throwing.(left, right, straight ahead, behind)

i use distance, if she bolts i recall her and throw it directly to her when she gets to the required recall distance from me.

I use her passion as well, my dog loves to play...so sometimes before i throw anything i will ask for her to do something, sit, lay down, to me .

You can also train in a "break" or "rest" command. Daylight is made to break several times when we play...Her break serves two purpose to rest her and myself.

Then there are your fetch toys....balls, frisbees, batons, discs. Daylight has three different frisbees, one straight flying, and two rolling flying types. I dont just throw frisbees i roll them . Then she has three balls, the largest is a soccer ball for dogs(which i kick and throw) a med size dental ball with spikes to clean her teeth and last a small baseball size ball(which we only use in tall grass or water) and she has a Baton chew stick.

Terrain can also be a useful tool.  i use hills and throw up them, the dog seems to regulate herself a lot more when she climbs hills. Long grass can assist in slowing the pace and also uses more of the dogs senses. Water is the best its low impact and keeps the dog pretty even keeled.