BC Boards

Muster Dogs season 2

For those of you who saw my posts on the Australian TV show Muster Dogs in the Kelpies thread, I can tell you it was an absolute hit!  Pretty much all of my family and a fair proportion of Australia watched it, and there was lots of videos on social media of working dog breeds watching the show.

So recently there was a call put out for people who want to be a puppy trainer for season 2 - and this season it is Border Collies!

Because of the set up I imagine it will be at least a year before we even get a release date (Have to pick participants, then get the puppies, train them for at least nine months, edit etc) but I promise I will report back

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really liked watching this show , i wish there were competitions like that here in Canada. It would be nice if breeders instigated these kind of contests (maybe who ever has the best trained out dog ,in the end, gets the dog free or there money back...lol)

I recently found out that the first lot of participants were approached by the trainer based on people who had attended his schools.  So it is a big change to do an open call for participants this time.  I wonder if they will do a third round with Australian Cattle Dogs?

23 hours ago, beachdogz said:

Thank you so much for this link!  I started watching this, and it is now clear to me that I am not going to be getting much done in the near future :lol:

I think I binged it in one night until around 1am in the morning.  Thank goodness there are only four episodes.

I have been spreading this out so I elongate this series - I love it so much I don't want it to end.  Wish it was more than 4 episodes.  Just finished Episode 3, so can hardly wait for the Finale!! 

Question:  Do people here in the US use rakes?  I've only ever seen people with what I think are Shepherd's Hooks. 

Can't speak to the US but the use of a rake is common here is Australia - have been to two different sheep dog training sessions, and a rake was used in one and the other had a taped up roll of newspaper used to extend the arm to increase pressure and bang against the leg to produce noise.

57 minutes ago, beachdogz said:

Question:  Do people here in the US use rakes?  I've only ever seen people with what I think are Shepherd's Hooks. 

A rake isn’t common here in the U.S. I am sure it would work fine.

More common is the arm. I have seen a rolled up and taped grain bag, a shepherd’s crook and a plastic paddle, either with or without ‘rattles’ in the hollow plastic paddle.  I once saw a herding stick with a plastic bag tied on the end. (The bag flutters and is easier to see than just a stick.) The last couple of years, in my area, a golf club, with the head cut off, has become popular.

ok, just finished the final episode....and nobody warned me that I was gonna bawl my eyes out at the end!!  (Full disclosure, I choke up at all animal movies and stories, and have been known to watch some in segments so I don't get too emotionally involved in them.)  I LOVED this series and can't really think of anything I've ever seen that compares.  It was educational but drew you in with the personal stories, so it didn't feel like a typical documentary.  I am glad they gave a 6 month update at the end, and I would like to see or read a 2-year update in the future.  I am so glad Lawgirl posted this.  Thank you, again!

Also, there is a book written by one of the participants about cattle ranching with dogs in Northern Australia, which is available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Muster-Dogs-companion-book-ABC-ebook/dp/B0942JRDW4

I was given it for my birthday but have not yet had a chance to read it, but it rates fairly well.

• 2 weeks later...

awww....Lucifer (ugh.  hated that name) was my favorite!  And I was sooo happy when Frank stepped up and took him.  Yes, I became WAY too involved with that storyline.  I did read that Frank did change his name to Luci, but you can see by the article that it is hard to un-stick it since he became "famous" by that name. 

Frank Finger is a lovely person. I am not being sarcastic. I was very impressed with him on the show - his gentle training of Annie and then taking on Lucifer.

I just finished the book “Muster Dogs”. The station lifestyle in Australia is so different than anything I have been exposed to before. I really enjoyed reading about the cattle operation and the rural Australian lifestyle in general. I was a bit bothered by all the trading/moving on of dogs and the multiple injuries, but I guess that, for Aticia, having a group of working kelpies is like having a pro sports team.

I always say that I never met a dog named "Trouble" who wasn't trouble. Or a dog named "Rascal" who wasn't a rascal.  They do seem to live up to their names, and I lay that all on the owners.  And I was so mad when Rob announced that he had named him Lucifer!  As far as I was concerned, that was paving the way.

I got to cringing every time they went to Rob's story.  Now I know absolutely NOTHING about herding, so I am walking on thin ice here.  I am only seeing this from a general training point of view.  But right from the start, it seemed that Rob really didn't take this seriously.  Every time Lu (I really hate to say his original name) would get out of control, Rob would give this little laugh and then complain.  Yeah, and we all know how well our dogs can read us!  Of course, we only saw snippets, but I never saw him taking it seriously and trying to work it out.  Point proven when Neil had to come and step in to guide Rob.  Neil seemed a little perturbed with Rob, too.     You almost could see this coming when in the first introductory episode, Rob said that he always bought dogs that were already trained.  So even though he was a seasoned rancher (proper title?), he wasn't a seasoned trainer.  And we all know that a headstrong dog needs an experienced handler - or someone really willing to put in the time to learn.

I realize that there are some dogs that are hardwired through genetics to be a problem (bad temperament), and those kind may never be rehabilitated.  I just don't think Lu was that kind of dog.  I think there would have been a different outcome with a different trainer.  Ahhh, but now he is with Frank, and that made my heart sing!!

So yeah, Lawgirl, maybe I am a pushover for those bad boys after all! LOL ;) but AGGHHH!!!  He's NOT BAD!!  :lol:

P.S.  I do plan to give it some weeks time, and then re-watch the series.  I always find if I watch 2 or 3 times, I catch many things that I missed the first time.  It will also be a bridge until they come out with next season!

On 7/15/2022 at 5:12 PM, beachdogz said:

I got to cringing every time they went to Rob's story.  Now I know absolutely NOTHING about herding, so I am walking on thin ice here.  I am only seeing this from a general training point of view.  But right from the start, it seemed that Rob really didn't take this seriously.  Every time Lu (I really hate to say his original name) would get out of control, Rob would give this little laugh and then complain.  Yeah, and we all know how well our dogs can read us!  Of course, we only saw snippets, but I never saw him taking it seriously and trying to work it out.  Point proven when Neil had to come and step in to guide Rob.  Neil seemed a little perturbed with Rob, too.    

I had a similar reaction to Rob's story - this guy seems clueless. How does he handle his dogs for his sheep operation? Is this dog (Lucifer) wasted on him?

But when he put Luci through his paces at the final evaluation, I was very impressed with how well Luci did - and by extension, Rob must have stepped up to the plate with his training. I also believe that Luci, at that point in time, WAS better suited to cow handling (used for the final evaluation) than sheep handling (used for training on Rob's property). I wholeheartedly was in agreement with Rob's decision, primarily because Frank agreed to take him on. I could rest easy that Luci would be in good hands.

But the more I thought about it, I felt manipulated by the producers/editors of the show. We all know that they pick and choose which clips to use, and I think that they set us (the audience) up with 'bumbling, incapable Rob' clips as the beginning of the show so the ending was more dramatic.

So, kudos to Rob for bringing a tough puppy around with his training, and boos to the editors of the program for manipulation of the storyline.