BC Boards

Anyone feel like helping me to name this dog?

D'Elle

OK....not a border collie. 

This dog showed up as a stray on my road and ended up with me. He's about 8 or 9 months old. He's been at my house for a week now and is a good dog. He's never seen a leash before, but learned that fast. I got him a vet check and shots. It took until today for me to coax him into the house. He's not neutered, but has not made a single dominance move on my dogs, nor has he shown the slightest aggression.  He's respectful of my cat. Has not tried to pee in the house. He's such a softie and  sweetheart that I have decided I may just get him neutered and foster him while finding him a really good home.

It has even crossed my mind that I could train this dog to be a service dog for me. But we'll see about that.

I have no idea his breeds. If anyone has a guess as to that, feel free to say. He weighs about 45 pounds now, but is a lean puppy and will probably fill out some as he gets older. Height at shoulder is about 20".

Right now he needs a name...I have to call him something, and am stumped. Tried 2 names so far and they don't seem right.

So if you feel like it, make suggestions. 

372801233_Stray1.thumb.JPG.985b0ab394b75a6655b75d19de6391fc.JPG

He is handsome, isn't he. Thanks for the suggestions....all will be considered!   Although I already have had a Jes and a Roo, my most recent border collies.

It occurred to me this morning that he could be part ridgeback. He reminds me a lot of a very nice ridgeback I knew a while back.  Looks like the same body type. 

I don't really ave any suggestions for a name for him, D'Elle. For me it's always a matter of my discovering out what the dog's name already is. But he's one lucky boy to have found you to help him find his way.

He looks so regal. And he's so handsome. I hope you'll send updates from time to time.

His coat doesn't look quite as slick as most ridgebacks and his brow not as wrinkly either, but hard to tell from one picture. And of course he may well be a mix. Gotta love the foundling breed guessing game. :lol:

He really is a handsome dog though.

ETA: DOes he have any suggestion of a ridge? Of course some purebred RRs don't even have one so it's not saying much if he doesn't.

Gentle Lake....no suggestion of a ridge. But he's no kind of purebred, in all probability. When I take a photo of him somehow he always looks like a big heavy dog, whereas he only comes up to my knee (I'm 5'5") and is very lean. The guessing game on breeds is a lot of fun, though, isn't it?

My first thought was lab/shepherd, but then this morning he reminded me a lot of a ridgeback I knew, so I looked at a bunch of photos of that and he looks a lot like one in some ways. Tail is more like a German shepherd, though, although not that bushy, and ears are not as big or long as a ridgeback. And you are right, the brow is not as wrinkly, and the coat is not that short or slick. Nowhere near as long as a shepherd though. 

Here's a photo showing his body standing. But as I say, he looks a lot heavier in the body than he is.181647634_Stray5.thumb.JPG.605844d790da932d39e2f37bb916019d.JPG

thanks for all the ideas! I considered most of the suggestions, and tried a couple of them, but nothing seemed to stick. Then the name Arrow came to me. I started calling him Arrow around 5 PM yesterday and by 6 this morning he was answering to it, which he never did with the other names I tried even if I kept at it for a couple of days. So I guess he's Arrow.

That cool little animated film from 1970-71 or thereabouts called "The Point" has a boy and his dog called Arrow, and the song "Me and My Arrow" is where the name comes from. Great little film, if you haven't seen it.

I love the name and the fact that he does too kinda says it all. :wub: It sounds to me like your process for naming is a lot like mine make a pretty long list of possible names and then the right one - usually not on the list at all - just comes to you. :lol:

And I love The Point and the song too. It should be required viewing for everyone, regardless of age. I haven't thought about it for quite a while now so thanks for reminding me I need to watch it again. :)

Just a little update. I have decided to put Arrow up for adoption. There's a rescue group here that will list him and help me find him a home and I can foster him in the meantime.

He's a great dog, but I have come to realize that for various reasons he is not the right fit for my home at this time. I am going to make sure he gets a really good home.

Yeah, I might even "save" that name for possible future use for a dog of mine. :-)  

As for his being lucky to come to me, perhaps. But I have always received more from dogs I have taken in, formally as a foster or not, than they got from me.

I decided not to keep him mostly because of my small and elderly terrier, Digger. Arrow being over twice his size and weight and being a puppy still, doesn't recognize this difference and has now bumped into Digger twice hard enough to make him yip. Digger being very stoic, that means it really hurt and I can't have that, as Digger will only get more fragile as time goes by.  The bumping was accidental, not deliberate, but still. Arrow needs another dog his size to play with, so I'll try to find that for him.