BC Boards

Too skinny???

Kylos86

Hi,

Django is coming up to 11 months old now and recently had a bad case of the squirts, after waiting 48 hours and it still persisting my girlfriend took him to the vet (I work nights so was sleeping) and £68 down and he has been on some medication for 3 days and is back to normal. Though the vet didn't mention his weight or that there may be any other issues with him

Whilst at the vets he was weighed and came in at 51lbs at 11 months old! ;) He is 24 inches at the shoulder so is quite a big puppy already.

My question to you is do you think he is too skinny as he can feel a little 'boney' sometimes, I know BC's are supposed to be lean and he gets 2 x 1-2 hour walks each day and is fed morning and evening half dry food and half meat supplemented with fish oils.

I have attached some photo's thanks

post-16799-0-16338000-1423265848_thumb.png

post-16799-0-46230700-1423265833_thumb.png

This question comes up regularly and is a good example of when it's not a bad idea to do a search in the archives before posting. ;)

It's almost impossible to tell from a photo unless the dog's emaciated. One reason is because a rough coat can hide the ribs and other bones. But the best way to tell is by feeling your dog anyway. You should be able to easily feel ribs (that is, without having to push in at all do find them) and the spinal protuberances. If you have to push at all to feel ribs, then the dog's probably at least a bit overweight. If the bones are really projecting, then the dog's probably too thin.

Here (again) is the body condition chart that vets use. IMO, border collies, especially young ones, should be on the thin side of moderate. You'll have to use your hands to show you what your eyes can't see beneath the fur.

http://vet.osu.edu/v...n-scoring-chart

Hi

Thanks, I can feel his ribs and spine and looking at the chart he comes within the moderate zone and like I said the vet didn't comment on his weight when examining him so he should be OK.

He is always full of life and energy and is super quick, I just can't beleive how heavy he is being so lean.

Our collie is 23in and just right at around 42lbs. He's of average build and 9yo.

I'd be very surprised if a 24in youngster of 11 months was too skinny at 51lbs. At that age our was around 34lbs, on the lean side but not emaciated.

I don't think he looks emancipated..but he has a lot of fur like my girl does. Vet said she doesn't go by weight but feels their ribs. You should be able to feel a bit of rib without pressure. Has he had issues eating before this illness..or were you worried before this last illness? My female bc is built bigger too.

The two measurements I've used (I'm no vet, mind you), feeling at the widest points on the sides:

1. Can I feel the main pack of ribs? Yes ~> not overweight

2. From the last rib to abdomen, is there a smooth transition? Yes ~> not underweight.

Hi

He has never had issues with eating and had no issues whilst he had the illness either, I only began to worry after the illness occured. I think he went a little too lean due to only having chicken and rice for 3 days but still excercising as usual.

All the recommended checks indicated he is OK, he has tons of energy all the time. I would have thought the vet would have made some kind of comment if he was concerned about his weight. I just wish I was there at the time (my girlfriend didn't ask) as he does also have a 'boney bum' which you can feel when petting him.

I'm happy to say he is all better now and we have started giving him an extra meal during the day and will monitor and adjust this if necessary.

Thanks again for your responses.

Tweed is 11 months old, 47 lbs and I can feel his ribs, backbone and pelvis. I assure you he is quite healthy and normal for an adolescent male Border Collie. If he weighed more and had padding, I would be concerned.

d6ac6c08-58bf-4941-89fc-9027c10d26ce_zps

His dam in working weight. She was a bit out of shape after her litter but is back to being fit for the job.

Juniperskinnytop_zpszen3yeob.jpg

Juniperskinnyside_zps8zy4lta6.jpg

Thanks Liz P this definatley reassures me alot, your Dogs are looking great :D I wish I could work Django as he is really responsive to commands, I have trained him to "herd" his favourate toys which he finds great fun but it just isn't the same with inanimate objects, I am going to take him to agility classes instead once he is old enough, flyball is a no no as he is already ball obsessed!!

Thanks again

Read my thread http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=37851 ,my girl was exactly how your dog is and I always said "it's fine, it's just her she's skinny". You know what? I was completely wrong! I wish that someone suggested me to do a liver test on her as I could have anticipated some issues . To begin with I might suggest you to talk with your vet and do a blood test. Prevention is better than cure.

There is nothing in your description of your dog that compares with this case though.

This one is seems a healthy weight and other than a bout of the squits which is very common he sounds in good shape.

No alarm bells are ringing from what the OP said but your own story made me think of a possible liver shunt too before your vet mentioned it. Most cases I've heard of were in younger dogs though.

We all need to be aware of changes in our dogs that warrant investigation but also to accept that, like us, dogs get minor illnesses that clear up fine on their own.

If the dog is thin but has good muscle, then the dog is fit, if there is no muscling then the dog may be too thin. However at 11 mos., many males just do not gain weight. I've been fighting this in a young male I have. He got way to thin even though he was eating about twice what his littermate ate. Finally (with extra feedings and additionally fat-Red Paw energy pack) he is gaining a bit

@Mum24dog what is the chance of living a normal life? and most importantly surviving? I am devastated even by thinking about her.

I'm sorry but no one can tell you that except your vet. No one who has a dog they love could fail to understand what you are going through but it's a time for taking advice from professionals who know your dog's case.

If the dog is thin but has good muscle, then the dog is fit, if there is no muscling then the dog may be too thin. However at 11 mos., many males just do not gain weight. I've been fighting this in a young male I have. He got way to thin even though he was eating about twice what his littermate ate. Finally (with extra feedings and additionally fat-Red Paw energy pack) he is gaining a bit

Kiefer is still pretty skinny and I would like to put more weight on him. Right now, if I feed him more, more comes out the other end. I am interested in the Red Paw energy pack. I checked out their website, but didn't see the energy pack product. Can you give me more information for ordering?

Thanks.

I feed the 32K and really have been happy with it. One of mine, Jabba, is a young male and difficult to keep weight on as he runs ALOT. I started using the fat and so far really happy. The new rescue is gaining weight on it also. I found a relatively closeby vet who also sells/uses the Red Paw. We order together and shipping is then split.