BC Boards

Taste for sour/tart?

Gibbs loves fruit. Haven't seen him turn up his nose at any type of fruit I've offered him - plums, peaches, oranges, mango, even grapefruit.

So this morning I had a tangerine with breakfast, and it was so tart it was making ME pucker up. And I loooooove tart things. I offered Gibbs a segment, thinking that it wouldn't appeal.

Son of a gun, he chewed it up, then licked the juice off my fingers.

Anybody else has a dog who loves tart things? I haven't tried a dill pickle with him, will do that at lunch.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Tansy does. Grapefruit, dill pickles, you name it, she loves it.

She likes hot (spicy hot) things, too. Salsa, wasabi, hot Chinese mustard.

Strange dog.

The only things I've found so far that she won't eat are fresh parsley, celery leaves (she love celery stalks, though) and lettuce.

Senneca and most of my fosters love my homemade yoghurt, and they get the "bottom of tub" extra tart stuff as well. Only had one guy who turned his nose up at it.

Hot (spicy) food is yummy too (we make authentic Indian cuisine with lots of red chili and spices).

I only tried using Bitter Apple once, but yes, it just makes chew things tastier.

Another dog who likes Bitter Apple: when Torque was a pup, he decided to try a few bites on the stair bannister. It was immediately protected while I went out and purchased the Bitter Apple spray. I sprayed the wood bannister while he was watching. After I moved away, he went to investigate, he sniffed and then he started to lick voraciously. Ugh!

I think I tried it on one or two other objects with the same results. I threw the spray away. :(

• 2 weeks later...

We have a running bet in our house to find a fruit, vegetable, or anything for that matter Tio won't eat. Aside from the no-no foods anything is fair game with his taste buds.. He even ate (fell off the plant) a small unripe Habanero pepper I grow. Didn't seem to phase him at all. It's funny because he had a very sensitive gut when he was a little pup.

Tiny dog. Large chilli. She ate the cooked green pickled chilli, which was about as long as her muzzle or longer, sneezed and coughed and spluttered for a few seconds... and then went back and picked through the meat to find the second chilli.

I couldn't eat the curry, it was so hot. She thought it was wonderful.

Great stories! Since I'm not a fan of hot and spicy, Gibbs doesn't get the chance to find out if he'd like it or not. I gotta think their taste buds are different from human ones.

GentleLake, I love balsamic vinegars! Will have to offer Gibbs some, to see what his palate thinks. I just had a salad dressing made w/plum vinegar - very nice.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Dogs have WAY fewer taste buds than we humans do ... something like 6 times fewer. I also read recently that the bulk of their taste buds are located at the front of their tongue, which would explain why they can gulp down something we find intolerable without batting an eyelash - they don't really taste it.

Briggs, bless his heart, used to politely accept any food I gave him, and if he didn't actually want it would then delicately deposit it behind a plant or a piece of furniture so I wouldn't witness him be so rude as to not eat the (apparently) repulsive thing I gave him.

My Italian Greyhound is mental for carrots, and all the other dogs think she's got something seriously wrong with her. But her brain is the size of my thumbnail, so this may in fact be true.

RDM

Thanks for the info on doggy taste buds, RDM. Gibbs must really like citrus fruit - whenever I give him a segment, he licks it a bit first, then licks his lips and bites into it. Silly beast.

I went for a walk with a friend and her dog once. My friend was giving Gibbs some treats, so I tried giving Lucy some of Gibbs doggy trail mix - smelly kibble mixed with cheerios, basically. Lucy took the bits of kibble gladly, but would turn her head politely and spit out the cheerios. I kept giving her cheerios, just to see her spit them out!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

My terrier loves all fruits and vegetables. He will work with me all day with only celery or kale stems as rewards. Recently I made myself a cocktail with lime squeezed into it and gave him the lime wedge more as a joke than anything else. He meticulously ate all the fruit out of it, leaving only the rind.