BC Boards

Tourists Meeting the Natives

When tourists land in an unfamiliar country it is not uncommon for them to say or do things from ignorance or misunderstanding that offend or tread on tribal tradition or beliefs.

The natives can herald these unfortunate instances to the highest hall making painstaking point with no uncertainty or, as happens in some countries, show a bit of grace and welcome the tourist with open mind and guiding hand.

There are those tourists that insist on coming to a new country and trashing about with aimless conviction and little care for native culture and viewpoint... I am all for boiling them with vegetables and having them for dinner... but I vote for grace for at least the first visit or two.

dave

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had never heard the acronym TNTBAA, but Google is a good tool. It was at the top of the page in my search. I like the term: http://imgur.com/r/themountaingoats/Qc0RBgw

I agree. Treat new folks like guests. Try to be a good guide. Some will not, at first, be knowledgeable of the customs and culture. There's almost always a kind way to say something vs. unpleasant and/or severe.

TNTBAA is fine, but I would turn it around to say, "Try to be friendly". :) -- Regards, TEC

Hmmm... Funny. Nothing came up for it in google for me.

TNTBAA is an acronym I posted last March to facebook as my new stockdog training methodology. Easiest to just paste the post here:

I have had the privilege of working with Scott Glen, Kathy Knox, Jack Knox, Joe Haynes, Karen Child, Dianne Deal, Don Helsley, Alasdair MacRae, Patrick Shannahan, Faansie Basson, Norm Close... not bragging... just laying the foundation of the help that I have so desperately needed.

After a number of years I been able to distill all of that wisdom, experience, and knowledge down to a simple new training methodology I am willing to give away for free to all of my fellow inexperienced colleagues. I refer to as the "TNTBAA" method of sheep dog training.

"Try Not to Be An Ass"

While simple for most, some of us really struggle. My dogs are showing great appreciation for the effort.

This is very well said. I would have passed this out on a flyer at ringside to the supercilious, self-important A's treating newcomers as though they were trampling on hallowed ground, had I not been too busy living the life of sin.

When tourists land in an unfamiliar country it is not uncommon for them to say or do things from ignorance or misunderstanding that offend or tread on tribal tradition or beliefs.

The natives can herald these unfortunate instances to the highest hall making painstaking point with no uncertainty or, as happens in some countries, show a bit of grace and welcome the tourist with open mind and guiding hand.

There are those tourists that insist on coming to a new country and trashing about with aimless conviction and little care for native culture and viewpoint... I am all for boiling them with vegetables and having them for dinner... but I vote for grace for at least the first visit or two.

dave

Thanks, Dave. I imagine that TNTBAA is a principle which applies to far more than sheepdog training.

Regards,

nancy

PS: I did an internet search last evening, which came up with nothing to help define the acronym. Interestingly, a search this morning provided a link to this thread!

Years ago I was sent to Germany by my employer for a conference in Bavaria. The two of us that went had one day to play tourist. While on a guided tour of a castle we had to endure the emarisment of an "ugly American" who was in our tour group. After the tour we apologized to the tour guide for the behavior of our fellow American.

Tourists should be afforded a we'll guided tour, "ugly Americans" should expect to be treated, well, ugly.

Mark

I don't know exactly how the American behaved in Pipedream Farm's tour of the Germanic castle, yet newcomers don't have to be treated dismissively, curtly, sharply or worse. I don't think unknowledgeable rookies should be given the cold shoulder, but welcomed and courteously mentored.

In the book "The Ugly American" (1958) a Burmese journalist says:

For some reason, the people I meet in my country are not the same as the ones I knew in the United States. A mysterious change seems to come over Americans when they go to a foreign land. They isolate themselves socially. They live pretentiously. They're loud and ostentatious. Perhaps they're frightened and defensive, or maybe they're not properly trained and make mistakes out of ignorance.

The Americans described in that passage don't appear to invite ugly behavior. -- Regards, TEC

Hello everyone,

Over the years, I have heard those new to the world of Working Border Collies use terminology that is definitely not "native" vernacular. Lately, I have heard the handler's post being referred to as "the pole". And, smooth coated dogs are now called "smoothies". But, when someone tells me (verbally) that they have a "border", my initial thought is that they have someone living in their home who is paying for the privilege of living there (a boarder). I always try not to sound critical with my response, and hopefully I have not offended anyone when trying to enlighten them about the traditional and customary terms. Sometimes, I just sigh and remain silent, but the educator in me finds that very difficult to do.

Regards,

nancy

As an outsider, I can honestly say that I see grace written all over your post. I was fortunate enough to find people like this early on, so I was spared the ringside treatment I saw others endure. I think people likely would appreciate the education. LOL@ the boarder. That made me smile.

Every world has its secret language, I grew up around sail boats, worked on boats for years, my husband is a professional sailor, I live in a sailing town surrounded by other sailors and I know the language is often foreign, words to me that are natural, seem exclusive to others.

Port - starboard = left - right

Line = Rope

In most cases no rudeness is intended if a correction is made, sailing is a dangerous sport and requires accurate communication, but you always get those that like to make others feel like an outsider and definately make no effort NTBAA. I have watched a friends husband slowly learn is way around this alien world, most have been patient but I know there have been many times he has felt like an ass, even when those around have been trying to make him comfortable and have fun.

Well, as the new and self-confessed clueless guy, I have to say I've found a lot of willingness to help and an endless supply of tips and tricks on this message-board. But that may very be because I never have the audacity to call this amazing breed a "border", what do I know? :)

Well, I am sorry if my comments concerning how *I* felt about the use of the word "border" to refer to the working sheepdog or Border Collie or collie (as that word is used in the UK and Ireland) are the root of this topic. I apologize that my opinion and my expression of it led to so much offense. I didn't intend to offend, rather to express an opinion and my reasons for it, but obviously I did as evidenced by several replies there and apparently now this.

I admire people who are much more patient, kind, and educational than I am. They are the backbone of this board and I do appreciate them and their efforts to maintain a civil, helpful, and sharing forum.