BC Boards

So I guess I should announce...

Oko

One of these cuties is coming home with me in a week:

9665186279_f338fa370d_z.jpg

I'll be making the trip down to PA next Friday to get one of those little girls. They're six weeks old today, they were only seventeen days old in the photo but that's their only group shot. Will be a fun car ride, about 12 hours round trip. The above picture is of the girls in the litter, I have 1st pick out of them. Can't believe I'm finally getting my puppy after all the waiting, very excited. Any last minute advice? And name ideas are appreciated, still struggling to come up with something. :)

I'd have to nab the little tri on the right? I'm a sucker for those little brown patches....

You might just want to wait till you get pup home and see if any name just comes to you, or you can start by looking at the names in her pedigree and seeing if any of those appeal to you.

J.

Super excited for you! My only advice is (1) suggest the puppy not be fed that morning in case she becomes carsick; (2) make sure when you stop to let her pee that you not stop at major "rest stops" where lots of dogs (some of which may not have been vaccinated) are let out to pee and poop. Better to try to find "rest stops less traveled", as her immunities won't be 100%.

Can't wait to see more photos of your new addition!!!

I'm with Julie. The tri on the right would be my choice. Or the second from the left, with what looks like a dot on her head & an incomplete collar.

I'm partial to the names Cora, Tip, and Lark, but I wait and see what name fits. Hoot was supposed to be Rook, but it became apparent that was way too serious a name for him. I'm holding Whiskey in reserve for my next dog. Or Bulleit- makers of my favorite rye whiskey.

What's the breeding on the pups?

Thanks for all the comments, and the advice, I can't wait to have one of them home! :)

I have to say the 2nd girl from the left has been my favorite since their newborn pics, and provided we're a match I'll be coming home with her. But I'll definitely ask the breeders for input. Here's 3/4 of them at 5 weeks old:

9931941015_9e6ba81bc2.jpg
9931981954_db347237d4.jpg
9931939875_b7c50dfcd6.jpg
Of course, pictures are the breeder's.

What's the breeding on the pups?

Sire: http://www.jaggerwilliamsbordercollies.com/Fleet3.htm

Dam: http://www.jaggerwilliamsbordercollies.com/Belle.htm

:)

No, no, no....keep moving left....that one with the donut nose has way too little white and needs to come live with me....:)

Congrats and yes, I think she is darling too. But then, all of them are!

Here is to a long and joyful journey for you two!

They are all adorable pups - Flint actually picked me...I had more or less decided on a different pup from the pictures and when I arrived to meet them...well, the rest is history.

I am sure you will enjoy whichever pup you bring home. And..then the adventure really begins :)

Ben,

You talking about Nan?

I love the lines with Spot. They are sweet, biddable and fantastic on stock. They do tend to hog the bed and steal the pillows.

You are getting a nice pup. I like the one with the thin blaze...I am a sucker for that since Tess, Nan and Maid have a thin stripe.

Diane

You shouldn't choose your pup by looks. You need to balance two things. You need to know what type of personality you want in your puppy. You need to determine how submissive/dominate of a dog you want, go for walks or become a frisbee champion. Tell the breeder, A dog that has been destined to herd sheep, should never be made to lay down all day. I might exaggerate a bit, but my point remains true. You also should look for a pup that wants you. It's the ultimate lifetime relationship between you and your dog that matters.

Tell the breeder what you want out of your new dog.

Thanks for all the comments, on my way to PA to pick her out tonight, then getting her tomorrow and bringing her home. Currently waiting for triple a because of a flat tire, but what's a road trip without 1 mishap? ;)

I think reading the pup´s character and even working ability at his stage is as good as impossible.

I am in the same boat, had the first pick of the litter btw. I determined I wanted a male, picked the biggest of the bunch, and hope for the best.

I like both parents, I think that is the most important thing.

All of the pups in the opening post look fine to me (though the tri does have some extra appeal ;) ).

Have a good trip, and good luck with the puppy selection!

Bit envious you get to bring yours home tomorrow, I have to be patient for another three weeks (but I do visit him every Wednesday for a bit of petting).