BC Boards

What are we getting ourselves into?

Sounds like you're well on your way to a great life with Sienna. Love the new name!

I have a dog who's camera shy, too, and I have absolutely no idea why. He's got the most gorgeous prick ears (one's just a tiny bit tipped), but I have almost no pictures of him with his ears up. As soon as he sees a camera he plasters them to his head. :huh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We hired a dog trainer that specializes in working with the entire family and not just the dog and so far it's working out great. In fact, the first session, our trainer said (half joking) "This dog is amazing! What do you need me for?". Well, we need her because I want to get this right. I think we have some phenomenal material to work with and I want to try to get the obedience to a higher level. My experience (mostly with my mom's dogs) is that an obedient dog is also a happier dog and a dog with more freedom. I told her what someone here said, that this dog needs a softer tone because of her sensitivity. Well, it turns out that this particular trainer uses a "99% positive reinforcement method", meaning the "NO!!!" is strictly reserved for emergencies. I know there's probably a lot of different opinions around this, but it seems to work with our girl. She's clearly a very smart dog and eager to please. She picked up the basic commands (sit, down, stay, heel) in almost no time. I think it's intelligence combined with a will to please.

Nothing to say but :) .

Oh, there's one thing: She doesn't like cameras. As soon as I can get a good picture of her, I'll post it!

I'm a bit of a maniac with taking photos of my dogs and it helps a whole lot that to them, Camera=Cookie. With Quinn, sometimes Camera =Toy. They know when I start pointing a camera their way, good times are starting. If my Sheltie sees the camera in my hand, whether I'm pointing it at her or not, she comes over, sits in front of me and gazes expectantly. Very clearly she is saying, "I'm ready for my close-up." :lol:

Thanks everyone! Trying to figure out if she's 100% BC or a mix of something. Comparing her looks to pictures of purebread smooth BCs I've found on the Internet, she looks darn near 100% to me. What do you think? (Not that it really matters)

• 4 weeks later...

We're about a month and a half into it and she's still an amazing dog! As you told us, new behaviors are coming out as time passes. The herding instict is finally here! Or, I think it's more that we understand it better. For example, we had a problem when letting her out in the backyard to go to the bathroom. She would be running in and out like crazy instead of doing what she's supposed to. We finally realized that she was actually trying to herd the rest of the family out into the yard!

Her extreme submissiveness has subsided as she has learned to trust us. When I occasionally (rarely, I promise you!) use a harsh voice to make her stop doing something she's not supposed to, she listens and respects me, but doesn't get reduced to rubble as she was in the beginning.

Walking her on a leash is still fine, but she.. shall we say... takes a lot of interst in wildlife. We're working with her to try to distract her from it, but in my opinion, there's a limit to how far we want to take it. After all, interest in wildlife is the most basic of dog behaviors, right?

As far as the kids, it's a love fest. They love to play together and our dog trainer taught them some basic dog behavior and "dog language" so they better understand when to engage her in games and when she needs to be let alone. Not saying they're perfect, but Sienna is patient with them when they forget what the trainer tought them.

We're so happy we took a chance on this rescue! Her personality fits perfect with our family and I hope we get many happy years together. She's definitely opened up my eyes to this very intriguing breed!

So thrilled that you've given this beautiful dog a great home!

Walking her on a leash is still fine, but she.. shall we say... takes a lot of interst in wildlife. We're working with her to try to distract her from it, but in my opinion, there's a limit to how far we want to take it. After all, interest in wildlife is the most basic of dog behaviors, right?

I try to discourage my dogs from chasing wildlife. I don't want them to get the opinion that any creature that moves fast is fair game. I can think of a lot of problems that might result from chasing wildlife (from neighbors who wouldn't appreciate their cats getting chased, to dogs lost after chasing deer they spotted on a hike, or a dog getting killed dashing across the street after a squirrel - yes, I do let my dogs off-leash). I can call even my six-month-old puppy off deer (but I still don't trust him very far - if I know we're likely to encounter deer, the leash goes back on). Yes, it's a canine instinct, but it's also one that's more likely to get them into trouble than not.

I rarely regret this decision - every now and then when a group of deer is devouring the shrubs in my back yard I'll wish for some of that prey drive back. But for the most part I think it's one of the best reasons for training a "LEAVE IT" command.

• 3 weeks later...

Who said BCs don't make good family dogs? :)

IMAG0174.jpg

No, it isn't staged. My wife and the kids just sat on the sofa and all the dogs came climbing up...

She's definitely a Border Collie, I can tell you that much after having her for two months now. An idle mind is the devil's playground for a BC, but the kids keep her busy with silly games in the backyard. We also give her two one-mile walks every day. I understand what people say about BCs being a bit of a handful, but as long as she gets her walks and her playtime, she's fine.

Great picture of what appears to be one very happy family.

I'm so happy that you stuck it out during those rocky first weeks while she was adjusting to her new life. Not everyone has the kinds of patience and understanding you did, especially when she bit your son.

Btw, did you change her name? Sorry if I missed that . . . .

• 1 month later...

What have we gotten ourselves into, indeed! Out of curiosity we took Seanna to a professional herding trainer in our area just to see if she had any herding instinct in her. She did pretty well and I think my wife may have gotten the herding bug. Oh nooo! I wonder how long it's going to take before we live on a farm with sheep? :) It was absolutely amazing to see a pro work with dogs and sheep!

There you go, now - right down the slope! You may look back someday from the porch on the house on your farm, gazing at sheep (maybe cattle) grazing contentedly, and thinking about your day working your dog(s) on the livestock on your farm. You never know. I grew up in suburban Long Island and live on a small cattle-raising farm in WV now...

And so goes the slippery slope! I hope your wife *and* kids get the bug. It's a wonderful experience working dogs on stock.

P.S. I hadn't seen the photo of your whole family before--what a lovely group, humans and dogs!

J.

Thanks! What can I tell you? We're just a family who happens to adore dogs no matter what size, shape or type. Sure, there's droves of dog hair and occasional barking in our house, but we're living the dream, pretty much... :)

There you go, now - right down the slope! You may look back someday from the porch on the house on your farm, gazing at sheep (maybe cattle) grazing contentedly, and thinking about your day working your dog(s) on the livestock on your farm. You never know. I grew up in suburban Long Island and live on a small cattle-raising farm in WV now...

Sounds like my wife... :) She's a city girl from Brooklyn who's already gotten a pretty bad horse-riding addiction since we moved out to rural NJ... You know how that's going to end... :)