BC Boards

BC Play Styles?

I was curious, how do you explain your Border Collies' style of play?

I really just realized since he has been playing with Fozzie so much, Gonzo plays a lot more like a Husky than most BC's I've met. He is extremely vocal and makes whiney/growly noises (which, of course, a lot of owners scold as him being aggressive). And he mouthes a lot. He usually stands on his hind legs and "boxes" with dogs his size. Here's a vid, to give you an idea of his wierdo style :rolleyes:

th_gonzofozzie050.jpg

Love the name! In the early years of agility here in thr midwest, there was a BC named Gonzo (from Minnesota) who was totally out of control; used to jump over the weave poles while weaving etc. We used to have a term called going GONZO for out of control dogs. Hadn't thought of that for a long time!

Barb S

My BC will change her play style depending on who she's playing with. Most dogs she ignores. A friend with a young blind mini dachund lived with us for a bit and she was very calm and gentle when she played with that dog. With the 1 other dog in agility she would play with, she'd bow down and roll over and spin around him. With our aussie she'll play a bit more aggressively with him (but then again, he plays rough and he's a pest).

Barb, that's how Gonzo got his name, too! LOL. He's a crazy BC boy. A lot of people tell me that's a great name for a BC... some give me confused looks when I tell them his name. ;0)

Beth, I was hoping it was normal. My Mom gets really concerned and thinks Gonzo is being mean.

Border Collies have a play growl and a real growl. And ours never shut up. They will howl when happy and greeting us and make loads of silly noises to express themselves. It is all in fun and you will notice a difference in the play vs real.

Good morning. Our BC Hondo plays different ways depending on who he is playing with as well. When playing with out Catahoula puppy, he lays down and plays at a generally lower angle. When he plays with the big dogs, he's rougher and takes a higher play stance.

No matter which dog he plays with he always smiles first, then gives a tiny yip, and they are off. He LOVES to grab the dogs by the tail and drag them around the house. Especially if they jump up on the doggy couch. He also loves to bite the ears of our lab/chow cross.

Our Catahoula pup(Riata) loves to bite Hondo's back legs and try and pull them out from under him. She crouches and barks, then lets loose. Heaven forbid if Hondo is playing fetch with us, and she sees. She runs after him, grabs his collar or neck fur and drags along with him. occassionally they will both have the rope toy and give it to us.

If the puppy yelps in pain though, he stops and drops immediately and looks contrite. Often he'll also "kiss" the owwie.

Dianne

Sienna typically plays the same with most other dogs, and she makes this weird honking noise when she gets excited. She usually has her teeth showing too, not in a bad way though. When I got her from the breeder, I noticed her dad played this way too.

My husky is as noisy as Gonzo! Here's a video of him playing with my BC. It's their first play session after waking up in the morning so they are particularly frisky. :rolleyes:

Usually, as the day wears on, they become more subdued and my husky is usually the one on the floor with the BC dragging him across the room. And him groaning non stop of course.

th_a6649626.jpg

I wondered and worried too, at first about my male, Poppy growled so much but now he has the female, Pepper doing it too!!

They have great fun together and I really enjoy watching them interact together.

Gonzo plays EXACTLY like Misty. Happy does not play with other dogs. she plays fetch. period. but the 2 or 3 times in her life that she has played with Misty it was always standing up and wrestling, like both on their hind legs, paws over each others shoulders, and mouthing at each other and making lots of noises.

Afterthought, Gonzo would looove to play with your Husky! He's so cute, they would have a blast together. If there is a Husky in sight Gonzo will get them to play =)

I wish Misty & Gonzo could play together someday. ^^ He always did think she was one hawt BC girl!