BC Boards

Atlas the new BC puppy

Hi everyone,

I would like to introduce Atlas and myself to this forum! I am almost 22 years old and live in British Columbia, Canada with Atlas the 10.5 week old Border Collie. He has been incredible so far, very smart, and has a lot of focus (for a puppy!).

He is from working stock, a really awesome set of parents. I'm really looking forward to starting agility, flyball and who knows what else!

I am a really outdoorsy person so I backcountry ski, hike, snowshoe, climb etc. Atlas will be joining me on my adventures. We went on our first roadtrip this weekend to Jasper National Park in Alberta. He slept 2 nights in the tent no problem and loved exploring.

I think Atlas will love his life in the mountains.

Here are a plethora of baby photos :) The last photo is of my other girl Remy (the Shepherd) and Lucy, my dad's 10 month old red and white smooth coat Border Collie (her eyes are stunning)

post-15244-0-16994900-1373613946_thumb.jpgpost-15244-0-59064900-1373614004_thumb.jpgpost-15244-0-01538200-1373614051_thumb.jpgpost-15244-0-88442700-1373614086_thumb.jpgpost-15244-0-34984900-1373614115_thumb.jpgpost-15244-0-15173100-1373614185_thumb.jpgpost-15244-0-07657400-1373614250_thumb.jpgpost-15244-0-20255000-1373614578_thumb.jpg

Those are all my instagram photos, I can't upload the ones straight from my phone as they are too big (I don't usually have computer access).

Atlas is an incredible puppy so far. He's intelligent and very badly wants to learn and please me, so we are working hard on training. I'm using positive reinforcement the basis of my training and a clicker.

I also wonder how big he will get, he was 13lbs at 9 weeks, but I have to weigh him again soon! I think his fur will get to maybe a medium length maybe? His hair is a bit wispy and fluffy behind his ears, so I think it will end up growing out a bit as he gets older.

Does anyone have advice on neutering? I'm not sure when a good time to do it would be. My vet recommends 6 months of course, but I was wondering if there was any benefits of delaying that a little longer?

cute pup! Congrats and welcome. Personally, I would wait on the nueter longer than 6 months, especially if the dog will be very active as it sounds like he will be, but I'll defer to the more experienced dog folks on the board. There've been some recent studies on the effect of early spay/neuterwith a different breed, granted, and not sure about the journal it's published in - and I have some issues with their method of data collection - but anyway it's fodder for the mill.

I'd wait until at leaast 15 months to neuter. It'simportant to wait till the growth plates have closed.

Therer's increasing evidence that neutering may increase some health issues for males. If it were me, I'd look into a vascectomy ratehr than castration.

Btw, I can't be positive from the photo, but I think your dad's pup may be sable rather than red. What color is her nose (the colored parts, anyway)? If they're black, she's not a red dog, unless perhaps Aussie red. But it looks like she's got some blac on her, which would make her sable.

Welcome to the Boards. Your pup is adorable, and I am glad he is such a fine companion.

Search for past posts on these Boards for more in-depth discussions of views on appropriate neutering age. In short, most people recommend to wait for the growth plates to close which can be approximately from 12-16 months in a BC.

Please send Lucy my way. She is adorable too.

Jovi

Here are some photos of Lucy, her nose is black and pink for sure. Sure also has some black gators through her back. I don't even know if she is pure Border Collie, my dad bought her off a lady for 50 dollars. In the litter there was her and another that looked like her, 4 blue merles, and a black and white. Her mother is a blue Merle, father unknown. She is really great, I love her a lot, but she is VERY headstrong.

post-15244-0-50329000-1373666120_thumb.jpg

post-15244-0-85166600-1373666233_thumb.jpg

post-15244-0-65235100-1373666285_thumb.jpg

post-15244-0-99848100-1373666397_thumb.jpeg

How in heaven's name does any misspelling of "hairs" get turned into "gators"? ROTFL

I have a young lurcher -- who I thought was BC when I adopted her at 6 months ;^P -- who's sable. Her coloring's a lot like Lucy's, though her eyes are brown. She doesn't have a lot of black either, though at 19 m.o. now, she has more than when I adopted her.

How in heaven's name does any misspelling of "hairs" get turned into "gators"? ROTFL

I have a young lurcher -- who I thought was BC when I adopted her at 6 months ;^P -- who's sable. Her coloring's a lot like Lucy's, though her eyes are brown. She doesn't have a lot of black either, though at 19 m.o. now, she has more than when I adopted her.

I have no idea :S silly technology. I LOVE lurchers. Love, love, love. A lot of lurchers have BC in them too! I can't really get a lurcher in Western Canada though, and I would only rescue one.

Atlas is doing really well, he's super spunky :) I can't wait for him to get bigger! We have already been hiking a bit, but he's still pretty young to do anything huge. I had him at work on a cutblock for a few days and he did incredible. He already balances on logs. Waiting for his vaccinations to be complete and then we will be doing even more socializing.

He plays with my best friends 14 week old Great Pyrenees, they love each other.

Hi and welcome to the boards!

I'm also in BC (okanagans), where abound are you from? Always nice to meet dog people around my own age, maybe ill see you at an agility trial in a couple years!

Are you also in forestry too? Hehehe! I love being able to bring by pups out to work with me. My 11 month old whom I got from a rescue at 8 months who was really soft and timid, has really flourished in confidence and athletic skill since h started coming :)

Have fun with the sweet pup!

I'm from the East Kootenays (and that's where I am right now), but I kind of float around BC.

I'm a treeplanter haha, so the bottom of the forestry chain. I want to go to school for Forestry (at Selkirk College) but I really like my lifestyle for now! I will be planting pretty much year round this year. I had Atlas on the block a few days ago actually. He did great! Already walking on logs :)

What do you do in forestry?

I LOVE lurchers. Love, love, love. A lot of lurchers have BC in them too! I can't really get a lurcher in Western Canada though, and I would only rescue one.

I think Tansy's part BC. She's certainly smart as a whip and her face and head look more BC than sighthound. A Welsh (lots of lurchers in the UK) friend who saw pictures thought she's possibly 3/4 BC and 1/4 Saluki. When I scrape a few extra bucks together I may have a DNA test done to see.

Unfortunately, for me at least, her attitude's entirely different from a BC. She's really smart and learns fast, but it's on her terms. Incredibly easily distracted by everything going on around her, and hard to redirect her attention back to me. Wicked high prey drive. Very sweet and affectionate dog, though. Hoping age will mellow her somewhat.

I certainly didn't go looking for a lurcher. I wanted a BC and was looking for a young rescue that would be suitable for therapy work. She seemed to fit the bill perfectly when I adopted her and then for the first few months, but then she developed reactivity to dogs that we're still working on. She even charges dogs on TV!

She came from Kentucky. No idea if she was purposely bred or not.

Have fun w/ Atlas. What I wouldn't give to have a real BC puppy right now. ;)

roxanne