BC Boards

NC Border Collie get together

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Keegan's Mom:

I will be arriving on Saturday, maybe with hubby in tow. Not sure yet about the hubby.

See you all on Saturday.

Rachel, I see that you're coming from Charlotte. I'm coming from Statesville and I don't know when you are planning on leaving, but if you're going by way of I40, maybe we could meet up and follow each other, or more likely, me follow you?? My directions aren't that great from Yahoo. I will be going I40 East and could meet you at one of the easy off/on exits on I40???

What time should we arrive? This is very important as Chuck is likely coming.

See, I usually leave at the time we are told is the earliest to arrive. I don't want to be last there, but I kind of want to come in the middle of the arrivals.

Chuck thinks that if he isn't at least 15 minutes early, he's way late. Honest. We were so early for one dinner party (and he kept complaining that I was wasting time and not getting going soon enough!) that the hosts had not even taken their showers. Didn't faze him - he set their table and made us all drinks! And walked their dog.

So, what is the absolute earliest you want us in your driveway?

OK, so I'm trying to get a rough head count (for food prep plans). At the moment I have:

Becca

Patrick (& kids)

Rachel

Laura

Julie (at some point most likely)

Nancy

Nancy's Chuck

Margaret

Susan

Kerry

Maybes:

Brian

Laura's Chuck

Jenn

Lisa R.

Colby

What about Karen and Lance? Any updates on the maybes??

Pencil us in for the early winter clinic, Sue. I'm going to try to set that up within the next week so I'll know for sure by the get together. I always talk Jack's ear off so I have to set aside most of an evening!

Just let me know the dates as soon as you've confirmed it with Jack, Rebecca. I've got to start saving! Well, and organizing my winter/cold weather/downpour clothing. I'm at work during the first few weeks of January so later in January is best for me, but I will make a point to be there no matter what.

Thanks for the heads up!

Excellent, so adding Colby and jrid (can't wait to see you again), and possibly two more with Julie (thanks for the reminder - must be the chocolate cake stupor).

Oh, and we are SO not having torrential downpours and sub-arctic temps this year if Jack comes in the winter. :rolleyes:

2 sounds pretty good, Becca is that cool? I'm just thinking it would help some to have a general time to shoot for.

Rachel, that's practically a felony - the killing of a perfectly innocent batch of M&M's. Maybe they melted together and now you have a big old ball of joy. :rolleyes: Its supposed to not melt in your hand...

Okay I made a reservation for a HoJos in Stauton, Va on Friday night. I think it'll be good to shorten the trip a bit.

I will arrive early afternoon on Saturday (providing, of course, that I don't get lost.) :rolleyes:

I'll bring paper plates, napkins, garbage bags and utensils. Am I missing anything?

Hey guys!

I was traveling yesterday and came home with a nasty stomach bug, which I'm still struggling with a bit. Bleah.

But quickly:

Home phone number - (336) 234-0289

Directions:

From 81 in VA - 81 to Roanoke, then 220 to 58 in Martinsville. 58 east to a little outside Danville, Highway 62 - take a right (towards Milton, NC). Go through Milton - bear to the left to pick up Highway 57. In just a few more miles you'll see the intersection of NC 119. Take a left on 119.

**Then take the next right (Cunnningham Road), then the next paved road on the right (Scott Road). The sign for the road is on the left, but you'll know you are there because the brush on the right side will suddenly turn into our front "lawn" and Scott road is right after that. There are white outbuildings visible from down the road, on the hill, and our house is a brick house with a black tin roof. Turn in the drive, go straight back to the log barn, turn right, after the opening in the fence and park anywhere inside the wire fence there.

From GSO and west:

Take I-40/85 to 29. Take the Browns Summit exit (NC 150) and turn left off the ramp, then right onto NC 150. Follow the signs as NC 150 makes a couple turns, but they are clearly marked.

NC 150 ends on US 158. Take a right onto US 158. Take 158 all the way through YAnceyville (about 15 miles - be VERY careful about the speed limit changes!!). Watch for NC 119 on the left once out of Yanceyville (there will be a little service station on the right, called 4 Points or something like that - it doesn't actually sell gas but it still has pumps out front).

Turn left on NC 119. It will be about 5 miles to Semora, where there will be a flashing light intersection (there's an alpaca farm right before it with really nice fencing and a really nice red barn on the hill). Go straight through the intersection and follow the directions above after the "**".

From the southeast:

i-85 to 86 (I'm a little fuzzy on how one would do this, actually - possibly someone could help me here? :D ) then take 119 and follow directions above.

About rain - I have been known to eat my words, but scattered weather is rarely serious here. I have a barn lean to we can retreat to briefly if need be, or an entire house (with a sunroom) you are all welcome to hang out in if we need to bring our dinner inside. Now, if TS Beryl comes inland all bets are off. :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention - do treat dogs with the tick repellant of your choice, and remember to bring it for yourself! The ticks aren't actually too bad, but I've learned one of the joys of living next to a cattle farm - the biting flies are brutal! Any type of repellent keeps them off nicely, however.

OK, I must be getting really cute again. I could swear that Becca gave the actual address for the BC picnic in this thread. But I can't find it.

We'll be coming north on 15/501 (or our Roxboro Road) and going left onto 158. But I want to plot it on my maps and on the online map thingie.

BTW, in addition to the spinach ricotta pie, shall I bring a dessert? Also, any preference: regular Shaker pie crust or whole wheat crust (which usually has crushed pepper and dried thyme).

I'll post it again. I probably did it on an earlier thread.

54 Scott Road

Semora, NC 27343

It's just over the line from Caswell.

From Roxboro Road it's really super easy. In Roxboro, take 158, then left on 57 north to Semora. The turn off 158 in Roxboro is extremely well marked and there is a Burger King to the left at the light.

Then you'll follow the signs to take you out of Roxboro on 57 - it's the first left, then the very next right and on to Semora (about 10 miles, the flashing light). Then you'll go left on 119, then the next right onto Cunningham, and the next paved road on the right - Scott Road.