Trooper was a working BLM dog herding goats. Four months ago his
back leg was caught in a trap and his handler kept him working on his
injured leg until he was walking/running on bone. Now exactly sure how he was
found, but he was legally confiscated and the handler is being prosecuted
for animal cruelty. Trooper's leg was amputated this last Monday.This lady
at Ivins Animal Control just contacted me and asked if we could bring him
into our rescue. She has him in quarantine right now so his leg won't get
infected but he definitely needs to be in foster care. He is an extremely nice
dog and gets along with everyone, but they don't have anyone to take him in.

The Arizona Border Collie Rescue is working on transporting him down to foster as soon as he's fit to travel.

He isn't even human!! I will never understand how someone can think that that is OK. Unfortunately our laws are so pathetic that he will probably get off with a slap on the wrist. I hope the people of his community at least know what a sick, twisted individual he is.

Hello everyone,

The first sentence of the message read, "Trooper was a working BLM dog herding goats." Does "BLM" stand for the Bureau of Land Management (the federal agency)? If so, the "handler" should be fired (in addition to facing animal cruelty charges), and his supervisor should be investigated for allowing this situation to happen.

Regards,

nancy

Nancy, to the best of my knowledge, the government doesn't have herds of goats. People (ranchers/farmers) lease the BLM land to graze their private livestock. Unless something has changed, I doubt it's a government employee.

I've seen such horrible things from working at a municipal type shelter that this kind of thing doesn't surprise me, but it never ceases to depress me. I hope and pray the remainder of this dog's life is full of love and care.

ETA: He will be in good hands now. Thank you AZBCR.

Why?

Why on earth would (could!) someone work a dog in such a condition. Utterly incomprehensible.

Because these dogs will work through pain, and some people just don't care but consider them another tool to be used up and tossed away.

It is hard for any caring person to comprehend this sort of brutality and abuse. And to think that dog was giving everything and then some for that brute.

Thankfully, he is in good hands now.

Tried to send a PM, but it wasn't working.

I am not in a position to adopt Trooper, but I would like to help him. Where should I send money?

Do you know if he has enough leg left to be fitted with a prosthetic limb?

GGB

I am not in a position to adopt Trooper, but I would like to help him. Where should I send money?

So far, Trooper has been taken care of by the Ivins Animal Control. When he gets down to us, we will provide vet care, as necessary. Anyone who wishes to donate to the AZBCR can go here. The AZBCR is a 501c(3) organization and 100% of all income is used for rescue.

If you look carefully at the photo, you will see that the leg has been amputated quite high up and a prosthetic limb would not be possible. The three-legged dogs I meet manage unbelievably well and often run so fast that people are amazed that they have lost a leg.

Trooper looks like a very handsome fellow and his ability to work with such a horrible injury is a testament to his strength of character. He's going to make someone a great companion/work mate.

In the picture, is his front leg bandaged?

Trooper looks like a very handsome fellow and his ability to work with such a horrible injury is a testament to his strength of character. He's going to make someone a great companion/work mate.

In the picture, is his front leg bandaged?

I believe it's just vet wrap, because he still had the IV needles in place.

I took care of a dog recently that had lost a front leg. It was amazing how well he got around. He went up and down stairs and was able to keep up with all the other dogs.

This whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach. What we humans are capable of!

Bless all the people that are coming to the aid of this wonderful dog.

So far, Trooper has been taken care of by the Ivins Animal Control. When he gets down to us, we will provide vet care, as necessary. Anyone who wishes to donate to the AZBCR can go here. The AZBCR is a 401c(3) organization and 100% of all income is used for rescue.

Thanks for the link. That was easy, they take paypal.

Poor little dude.. this picture breaks my heart. I can't believe how often I read about dogs getting into traps and ultimately losing a limb, but working a dog to the bone in that condition takes a certain kind of psychopath. Hope he finds a human that actually cares about him and his safety and doesn't think of him as a John Deere whose blade is dull.

-Rich

Here's a photo of Trooper:

IMG_2181_Trooper_2_zps9a6dafb1.jpg

• 11 months later...