BC Boards

Interesting Comment

My wife, Aidan and I were at the last event of my class reunion weekend which was a picnic this last Sunday at a local park. In the course of meeting and catching up with the news from my different classmates. My old friend from high school Manuel along with his wife, sat down to chat with us at our table. As soon as he sat down he noticed Aidan and started to gently pet Aidan. As we were catching up with the news of the last ten years, Manuel kept looking down at Aidan and finally said "This is a smart one. I bet you that the roof of his mouth is all black." My wife and I said "What" at the same time as we had never heard this comment before. So Manuel tells us that "You can tell a smart Border Collie by looking at the color of the roof of their mouth. If it is all black it is a smart one". Then Manuel said again "I bet you the roof of his mouth is all black". After a little bit of coaxing Aidan opened his mouth enough to see that the roof of it was all black. Manuel in a very satisfied voice said "See".

With most people making this comment I would let it go in one ear and out the other. But I know Manuel grew up on a cattle ranch and still works cattle at local ranches and as a hobby team ropes them also. Also judging by all the horse trailers in our area of central California pulled by our modern day cowboys like Manuel, with Border Collies in their truck cab or bed. He is sure to be around them and also able to talk with the cowboys that work Border Collies with cattle over the years.

So in the end I find the comment very interesting myself as Aidan is a very fast learner and very intuitive as to our commands and rules, i.e. smart. Has anyone here at the forum heard of this before?

Randy

My mentor aspires to that statement. She has looked at all the roofs of my dogs mouths.

When I brought Dew home hers was mainly pink and she had pink on her nose. Now they are both all black.

Faye my newest pup has a mottled mouth. I secretly hope it will turn black but better yet I hope it stays mottled and she kicks but as a stockdog so I can put that wives-tale to rest in my mind!

I've heard that one lots but try not to put anything into it. Although all my working dogs have black mouths cept Faye and she's only 8 months old so could possibly turn still?

I think I first heard the "tell a quality of a dog by the roof of its mouth" idea from my grandfather, a lifelong farmer in downstate Illinois. He did use a border collie to work his dairy cattle, but I think he applied the idea to all dogs.

And I'll admit that I still check the roofs of my dogs' mouths when I first meet them, although I've never rejected a dog for having pink in its mouth. :) And it is one of the first things my father asks about each new dog in my life.

Bunk. Seriously--anyone who ascribes to a pretty is as pretty does philosophy should think about whether they seriously want to base a dog's work potential on the color of a body part.

It's just superstition.

^^Agreed. I did a quick check of all my dogs (except the red dogs, of course, because they won't have black roofs) and all had black. And yet all are not equally talented workers, and some learn faster than others. Imagine that.

J.

Dear Doggers,

I heard it in Scotland a long time ago. I've seen it in old books.

A scottish dog nutrition person theorized about a possible origin:

Shepherds dogs were fed flaked maize and whatever dead sheep. Absent dead sheep, flaked maize was poor nutrition and one of the signs of a nutritional deficiency was splotchy colors in the mouth. A dog with such a deficiency wouldn't be a good worker either.

I have no idea whether this is true but the black mouth belief is widespread - as is the notion that a sheepdog's tail length and cant effects its working ability. At the Scottish nurseries one year I was told - quite seriously - about a dog who'd broken his tail, badly set, outrun deteriorated, vet rebroke, reset tail, outrun improved.

Donald McCaig

I had never heard this, but I will admit, I just went and looked in puppy Timbers mouth...big black circle in the middle of the roof of his mouth covering about 3/4 of it :)

I don't typically believe in superstitions like these, but there are tons in the equine world and it's always fun to look at your animals and see if they qualify. And some do seem to predict pretty accurately. I guess time will tell for Timber.

lol new one to me! I had to check my girls mouths though...and neither the pink=softer nor the black=smarter fits mine lol

Happy-pink-smartest dog I have ever met, and not soft on stock at all

Misty-black-enthusisatic, but not the sharpest tool in the shed, and VERY soft on stock.

my Heeler X's both have black roofs, one is a genius and the other is quite possably the dumbest dog I have ever met lol

It's funny, I hear the same thing about horses and their "whirls"...the spiral-esque pattern of hair right between their eyes. I've heard claims that the placement and pattern will tell you about their personality, and supposedly the reason for this (heaven only knows of there is even a semblance of a shred of truth in this) is that that particular patch of hair is some of the first to develop in the womb, and develops from the cells that become the frontal lobe of the brain.

While personally I don't put any stock in it, or the thought that the color of a dog's mouth will tell you about their intelligence, it's also interesting to me where these myths come from and why some people swear by it. Every once in a while there's a very interesting and possibly legitimate reason behind it.

Interesting comments Donald. I almost posted earlier with some speculation that maybe somewhere along the way as the breed was being developed, a black roof of the mouth might have signified "purity." As in while the breed was being developed and who knows what was in the mix, those dogs with black mouths *seemed* to be the better workers (because perhaps that had more of the needed genetics that were being introduced from various breeds). In other words, there was some small kernel of truth at some point that got turned into a rule that makes no sense now....

J.

There was an old man who I met years back. He pat mick on the head and told me he could tell Mick was a darn fine worker. When I asked how he knew he told me cause Mick had a huge smart bump. He would check every dog he pet for their smart bumps. Occipital bone? At least it is in humans. To funny!

Oh the things you hear! And yep I heard the 3 chin hairs too! Wonder if it's true in old women too? I swear my eyebrows have fallen back into my head and shown up other places lower on my body!

Oh and Maja I will tell Dew she has to get with the program and get vicious...very vicious! But I think she will have to have a tounge ectomy first cause you can't be vicious and lick someone to death all at the same time! Can you? Maybe if your smart bump doesn't get in the way!

Yup, first heard that one decades ago. ;)

As it happens, I'm presently house/farm sitting for a friend, and between her dogs and mine, there are 9 border collies and my 1 blue merle Aussie. I just went on a mouth-checking expedition, and I found 8 black mouths, 1 black-ish pink mouth, and my Aussie has a half-black blotchy mouth.

They're all smart as a whip, so, not sure what this survey says! :P

~ Gloria

I think licking to death proves the point :D . My dogs are like that - black roof and prone to lick attacks. Here is Bonnie in a pre-attack mode:

small_002.jpg

Oh, and the smart bump - in Poland people claim it's a mark of a purebred dog of any breed.

Smart bumps, black mouths, tail lenght and tail curl, How about if a Border Collie is purebred it doesn't have any spots in the white? Or a good dog had a blaze down the face? Take young pups away from the mother for a couple hours and put them back and see which one goes first to the teat-that's the best cattledog.

There are others out there but that's about all I can think of right now

"Don't always reject shy puppy in litter who scoots to back corner when potential new owner approaches. He/she is clever enough to not automatically trust a stranger who hasn't proven him/herself yet". What do you think?

Have heard so many tales about black spot on head between ears, I can't recall. What are the latest truths to learn from it? -- TEC

Well I had one "know it all" person come up to us at at trial and tell us that Border Collies with black mouths where the only ones where were any good. I asked her how she knew it and she said she read it in a book...(and therefore must be true!)

I asked her to open her mouth, she did, and then I said "Sucks to be you as your mouth is pink".....

...everyone snickered.....well, except her....

RE: tails depends on who you hear it from, either shorter tails are better or longer ones. As for the curl, it the tip curls off t the side some ppl will break it so it goes straight. The thought is it interferes with the dog running.

Many years ago it wasn't that uncommon to have a Border Collie litter with natural bob tails-much shorter than the average.