BC Boards

Formal Training Classes

dscf6313s.jpg

So although I've dabbled a little in training, I'd like to take Tuesday to some formal training classes.

After all I'm sure I could use the tips and she could use the socialization.

The thing is I don't care to travel too far away and I don't want dole out serious cash if it's not necessary. I understand these classes aren't free but I don't want or feel it's necessary to pay $600 for a puppy class. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe I'd take the Petco classes, does anyone have any experience with taking these? How'd it go?

It might be a long stretch, but does anyone have any recommendations for trainers in Victorville, CA?

As far as advice in your area - none! Too far away. ;)

Petco - well, I have never personally observed a great class at any of those places locally. Yet, I know several folks that train or have trained at them. Either of those folks I would go with in a heartbeat. So I suppose it 100% would depend on the individual trainer. Ask to sit in. Ask to meet for a one on one meeting to interview the trainer.

And I am pretty sure I ain't telling you anything new. :) I just wanted to post under the ridiculously cute puppy pic!

Oh on second thought, make sure she is way in her vaccine cycle. I suppose that would be the same at any training facility but I do feel places like Petco, Petsmart and so on are even more of a risk.

Look for classes where the trainer usese positive motivational training - current training methods. These methods DO NOT include choke chains, prong collars, shock collars, or Cesar Milan based training. The trainer should be using a reward based system of training.

Puppy classes are more about socialization than any actual training. So while the level of actual training ability varies by locale with regard to the PetSmart/Petco training programs, I very much doubt there will be any damage done if you opt to attend one of their puppy classes.

At this age, it is very important to get them out and about and exposed to new situations. If a class at PetSmart will help you achieve that goal, all the better.

Your experience with the puppy class will tell you if you have any interest in continuing to the next level at that particular location. If not, it gives you time to research other training centers in your area.

If you have any future goals (obedience, agility, flyball, etc.) it would probably be a good idea to find a training club that offers these classes. Many clubs have a waiting list, so if you start off with the basic classes with these groups it tends to help you when it's time to get into the other classes.

I definetly wouldnt' try to "categorize" training methods...the methods used are only as good as the person who uses them, or in this case the instructor who teaches them.. I have personally seen damage done in many ways by so called "positive only" dog trainers who end up having a maniac dog on there hands AND formal obedience trainers who use "traditional" methods, and want to jerk and intimidate a dog...

I absloutely agree that it's the individual trainers ability that you should be looking for, and with pups...you can't really do much harm by taking them to a local petco/petsmart for socialization/basic commnads..my very best friend recently accepted a training position at a Petco, she is a wonderful trainer and althou they have to go through some training on how tPetco wants them to structure there training, she is basicly left to teach the class how she feels best..so it really is up to each trainer.

For future training seeking out a knowledgable trainer based on great word of mouth would be your best bet :) The person I train with recently has never taken an APDT class in her life but has 30 plus years traing and handling dogs...and comes HIGLY recomneded by EVERYONE!!! She not only trains and handles her own dogs succesfuly in competitions, but she has the gift of TEACHING to her students also which is key! I believe good dog trainers aren't on either side of the spectrum..there's nothing wrong with teaching dogs there is a consequence for certain actions as is there is nothing wrong with shaping and using positive motivation for teaching and encouraging good behaviors!!! Alot of great trainers I know are very creative, and certainly are open minded.

Use your own commen sense and judgment when looking into trainers :) You'll know if you feel right or not about the person and methods :)

I'm sorry, but do you HONESTLY expect us to formulate a coherent answer, when you're flashing that fat, furry, adorable tummy and those cutie-pie eyes at us?? :P

I agree with all the above. I would think of puppy classes as mainly just a place for the pup to learn social skills and how to be out in the world. Don't expect a lot of actual training, but just help him learn to be a good puppy citizen. ;)

Also, VISIT the classes beforehand, if you can. If for any reason you don't feel comfortable with an instructor, Petco or otherwise, walk away. Your gut is your best measure for whether a trainer is right for you and how you want to raise your dog.

Now for pity's sake, RUB that dear tummy and tickle those precious paws, before I have a melt-down! :D

~ Gloria

Dear Doggers,

It depends what you expect of your dog AND how much you're willing to spend - more time and attention than money. Despite what the True Believers tell you, there is no proper or improper training method, nor is one more or less cruel than another.There are brutes and fools but most dog trainers got into the business/avocation because they relly relly, really love dogs. I agree with Ms. Atwater: let your gut decide. I'd look at the trainer's dogs too. Do you like how he/she is with them? Is that the sort of relationship you can imagine having with your dog? T'were it me I'd ask: Can this trainer take his/her dog anywhere on or off leash? But that's my question - you will have question sof your own.

As I and many others on this list will attest, dogs have the power to change human lives. Training gives them power to do it.

Donald McCaig

There is one major risk that you take if you start to take training classes.

It can be massively addicting. :D :D :D

You know your dog best and you know how you want to handle your dog. I second the suggestion of going to watch classes. Talk with students. Watch how students and dogs interact. When you like what you see, you will know you have found the right trainer.

Your gut is your best measure for whether a trainer is right for you and how you want to raise your dog.

$600 seems excessive to me, as well. I would definitely shop around.

Look for classes where the trainer usese positive motivational training - current training methods. These methods DO NOT include choke chains, prong collars, shock collars, or Cesar Milan based training. The trainer should be using a reward based system of training.

This.

Too much casual acceptance of instruments of punishment IMO. (And no, I'm not a softie and am quite prepared to show my displeasure if necessary.)

But then I come from a country where prong collars are rare, choke chains not as common as they used to be, and shock collars banned in Wales (punishable by a fine of up to £20k or 6 months in prison) and on the road to being banned elsewhere.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean that all dogs are treated well but it's a start.

And one more thing - it's probably best to avoid any class that promotes a quick fix for problem behaviours.

I'd look at the trainer's dogs too. Do you like how he/she is with them? Is that the sort of relationship you can imagine having with your dog?

And this from Donald McCaig. It does depend on the individual's ability to recognise what they are seeing though. Obedience isn't everything. Reading a dog's body language can tell a different story.

Dear Doggers,

Ms. Mum remarks.

And this from Donald McCaig. It does depend on the individual's ability to recognise what they are seeing though. Obedience isn't everything. Reading a dog's body language can tell a different story.

I am not aware that I said anything about "obedience" .

Donald McCaig

Alright thank you everyone! =]

I'll be going to the petco classes to meet the trainers this weekend.

I'm pretty excited about this and Tues could use the socialization... she cried for quite a while after meeting the Malamute. She cried just seeing him, but in a few minutes she was crawling all over him. So I think it'd be a good idea to get her around some other dogs.

I was skeptical about the whole "pet store" class (how goid coukd it really be?) but we have a great PetSmart near us and we've had a really good experience! Maggie learned a lot in the first class and we are now taking a second one. There are only 3 of us in the class and the instructor is really great with the dogs. Her own dogs appear quite well trained.

I do think it depends on the individual instructor. I did go and talk to the ones at Petco and Pet Supplies Plus before settling on PetSmart.

• 1 month later...

Good advice from everyone! I am a trainer at a pet store and agree that the quality of the classes there is totally dependent on the trainer that you get. Go get to know them a little bit but watch out, they are trained as sales people and will almost certainly make it sound good. Honestly though the worst that is going to happen is you will graduate training class with a dog who thinks that when you say "sit" it should go sniff another dogs butt. They will still get some socialization either way.

What an adorable puppy!!!!!!!! I now have a bad case of puppy-itus. As for the Petco classes.. everyone is 100 percent correct. I have been a trainer at Petsmart for 12 years, we have some great trainers and we have some of the worst trainers. Every trainer, regardless of where they train, is an individual. As for methods that's a debate that has been ongoing since the beginning of time. Try throwing ten trainers in a small room, and ask about method.... I'm pretty sure someone would get hurt. :D I have strong beliefs on staying completely positive. Get to know your potential trainer and the methods they plan to use, so that you are sure you made the right choice for you and your puppy.

Archived