BC Boards

Someone please foster sweet Lady Bird

Hello,

We know of a 10 yr old BC named Lady Bird who is in need of a home. She is an inside dog and has no interest in being outside. She's not extremely playful and would rather just cuddle and lay around the house. She does not like cats.....not aggressive but will go bouts where she will chase and attack a cat. Never been around kids younger than 5 so not sure how she acts around new borns. She is very calm but a nervous dog.....just wants someone to pet her and pay a little attention. Owner is expecting a newborn baby and since she has shown a little aggression towards cats, they are very nervous to keep her. Their baby is due in Feb.....please find her a good home or else they are taking her to the shelter. I simply can't keep her due to so many animals myself. Lady is located in Conway SC. I will transport her to anyone in SC/NC or nearby within reason just to help.

Let me know!

lady.jpg

I would recommend trying

Phoenix Rising Border Collie Rescue

http://www.prbcr.org/

Carolina Border Collie Rescue

http://cbcr.org/

Even if they can't take her in, they may be able to courtesy list her which would give her more exposure. There are folks out there who prefer the seniors.

I hope Lady Bird finds a home that deserves her.

Roscoe,

Sadly this is all too typical of people starting a family. A baby is on the way, and suddenly the same dog you've been living with for YEARS is INCONVENIENT. People like that just make me sad. They don't deserve a pet. Makes you wonder what they plan to do when the child goes through an inconvenient phase, doesn't it? Fortunately for the child, it can't be dropped off at the pound.

I'd be willing to bet that there will be a dog going to the shelter sooner or later from another thread on this forum....

J.

Hello,

We know of a 10 yr old BC named Lady Bird .... Owner is expecting a newborn baby and since she has shown a little aggression towards cats, they are very nervous to keep her.

lady.jpg

Thank you to the OP for trying to help Lady Bird. What I can not understand is how cat aggression automatically translates into being a danger to a newborn. Takes all kinds.

Jovi

He looks so loveable. I feel guilty that we can't take him as a foster. Yes, with Fergie's death we are considering fostering. But we have Maggie D Cat. She was so good with Ferg that we won't let her be bothered by any animal.

Hey, we had our first cat before we had our first kid. Had Vikki months later. Then we got our first dog. Should we have offered Vikki to a new home because she might not have adapted to the new dog? The cat did well - but you have to wait ages for a kid.

Then again, Vikki is now in her 40s and seems to have always had at least 2 - up to 5 - cats. Whenever she's moved - and it's been a lot of times - the first priority is that the cats are welcome. Same with our son - he and wife have 2 dogs, several cats, some snakes, and some spiders. And rent.

Our other daughter and family don't have problems. Husband is a park ranger, so pets are fine - of any ilk.

Isn't there a thread with an ad to find good homes for children for folks who are moving to an apartment that doesn't allow kids?

Hello,

We know of a 10 yr old BC named Lady Bird who is in need of a home. SNIP Owner is expecting a newborn baby and since she has shown a little aggression towards cats, they are very nervous to keep her. Their baby is due in Feb.....please find her a good home or else they are taking her to the shelter. I simply can't keep her due to so many animals myself. Lady is located in Conway SC. I will transport her to anyone in SC/NC or nearby within reason just to help.

Let me know!

Turbo,

Why not suggest training for the dog? They've got 4 months to accustom the dog to the sounds/smells/changes in routine that a new infant brings. There are books on this, (check out Dogwise.com) and trainers who provide this kind of service.

At a minimum, the dog needs a solid down and stay. Please suggest some training to them. Hopefully, they'll want to keep her enough to put out the effort.

Sheesh.

Ruth

Ruth, in a perfect world, they'd be open to training and realizing that cat issues do not mean baby issues (just like Julie P said, duh!). However, years of rescue experience tells me otherwise. If they are already at the point where the decision is made, and they're not even willing to find a good home themselves, but send the poor dog to a shelter, all the talking in the world is not going to change their minds.

What these jerks (nicest word I could muster) don't realize, or maybe they do, and don't care, is that owner surrenders are usually the first to go down at most kill shelters. :(

A good dog for 10 years means nothing. Happens all the freakin' time. And now I'm sad all over again...

What these jerks (nicest word I could muster) don't realize, or maybe they do, and don't care, is that owner surrenders are usually the first to go down at most kill shelters. :(

It may differ state by state, but here in VA, the law allows kill shelters to take an owner surrender directly to the euthanasia room - no holding period.

Example: Last year, I was at the local shelter since I had lost two of my 3 cats over a period of 3 months (a 12 year old with incurable heart congestion, and a 19 year old who finally gave in to kidney failure after 2.5 years of supportive therapy). I saw a woman bring in 2 cats (owner surrender). When I went back the next day with my husband to look at the general cat population for an adoption candidate, those 2 cats were not "available". You can draw your own conclusions.

jovi

Lady has snapped at little kids before. Yes she does have skin issues.....I myself just decided to keep her. She will be watched and with a little pre-cautionary work all will be well. I have two cats but they seem to do fine....however I don't trust them alone so they are seperated while we are away. Her and Turbo get along great. She does however have some sort of skin problem. Trying to figure this out as right now I'm in no situation to be able to take her to a vet. Her fur is extremely oily and man she will stink if left outside for 10 mins. I think she may have seborrhea oleosa. She constantly itches and scratches...the poor girl.

Any idea how to treat her for this skin issue? She has pulled all her fur out her butt and legs....poor thing.

With itchy skin the first thing I'd do is treat for fleas if she hasn't been treated recently.

My next step would be to get the dog on a fish oil supplement - it seems counterproductive with an oily coat, but it's not. Fish oil/omega 3s help reduce inflammation .

And then I'd be switching foods. Diamond Naturals is good if finances are tight. Not exactly a limited ingredient food, but it doesn't have wheat, corn or soy. Wellness and California Naturals has some nice limited ingredient foods but the price is going to run about double that of the DN.

Here is a link explaining some basics about seborrhea in dogs http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1505&aid=1115

Archived