BC Boards

What would you call him?

MaryP

This is a puppy that we have in rescue and have had him since he was about 4 months old. He's now somewhere around 8+ months old. I've had him available for adoption since he was around 5 months old. I've gotten almost no hits on him. He's had one home visit with a potential adopter, but we both decided it was not a good idea for them to adopt him, since they had another puppy that was about the same age (and was NUTS!). I haven't received a single email about him since and that was a couple of months ago.

I have him listed as a border collie mix on the adoption sites, though I don't really think he probably has any border collie in him. But, I didn't know what else to call him. Now, I'm thinking that I should try and call him something else (other than a border collie mix), in case that is what is keeping people from inquiring about him. So, I thought I'd ask others what breed(s) they potentially see in him. Here are some photos.

These are a few months old, but he looks pretty much the same, just bigger.

Dexter1-700.jpg

Dexter2-700.jpg

Dexter3-700.jpg

Dexter4-700.jpg

These are more recent, though they aren't great photos.

Dexter_pool1.jpg

Dexter_pool2.jpg

Yummy_bug.jpg

This one is just to show the fur on his back. As he has gotten older, his fur has become really wavy, especially on his back.

Dexter_curly.jpg

Does he ACT at all like a Border Collie? My two smooth coats have that wave on part of their backs. My mentor tells me that coats like that are considered "moderate smooth." I know the ears are startling, but I have seen some with ears like that. I think it may be a case where people want the pretty fluffy long coats.....

Kathy Robbins

He is really, really cute, and your pictures show him enjoying himself, being happy around other dogs, and just generally being a great little dog. Perhaps you could write his description to focus on what he is especially good at and how he has the perfect low-maintenance coat for Florida instead of what his breed is. "Florida Frisbee Dog?"

@Kathy, he really doesn't show any behaviors that suggest border collie. He's a very sweet, happy-go-lucky, fairly laid back dog. He likes toys, but is not super focused on them. He enjoys playing keep-away with a toy with my dog, Ollie, but he's just as happy to lie on the ground and chew on a pinecone.

I think his bio describes him as a pretty great dog that likes all people and all dogs, so I really don't think his bio is scaring anyone away. I guess I could play up his easy maintenence coat a little more. I just wonder if I call him a mix of some other more laid back breed (he's pretty laid back), if that wouldn't bring more traffic to his postings.

He's super cute. Is he still on the smaller side? My Meg looks a bit like him, and she is a lot smaller than my other border collies (she's in the neighborhood of 26 pounds and the rest are about 40). People are immediately drawn to her because she is so small--I can't tell you how many people tell me that she is just the perfect size and they want one just her size. So, if he's on the smaller side, maybe could you highlight that aspect?

That's true, Laura. People do tend to like the smaller dogs. He's about the same height as Ollie, but he's skinnier (still has puppy body). Ollie is about 19-20 inches tall and around 30 pounds. So, Dexter is probably around 28 pounds, I'd think. I'll have to get a current height and weight on him.

I think he's A-dorable!! :wub: And I'm surprised you still have him. BC or not, cute puppies usually go fast, I thought. Anyway, if you want to take a trip and put him on sheep, let me know. We'll see if he shows any border collieishness then. Probably not, huh? :lol: Anyway, I totally trust your instinct, since you live with him, but I still think he looks like a border collie or BC mix. I honestly can't think of anything else he looks like, that I'd call him.

I, as usual, am no help at all...

I would call him MINE!!! Seriously, I'm shocked you're not getting more responses on him. It seems like every time I talk to someone lately, they've had a border collie they just LOOOVED or would like to get one someday. Maybe it's still the economy...? Because I think a lot of people want BCs... or would like to call their black-and-white-floppy-eared-terrier-type-dog a border collie.

I'd agree with playing up his small size. I'll put the word out around here if I hear anyone's looking for a new pup.

Well, while you're at it, Jen, you can let your friends know about Logan, too. He's a really awesome dog we have available right now. He's smart, biddable, and sweet. I think he'd make an excellent sport dog. I'm pretty smitten with him. :)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.268572319819971.76040.147838868559984&l=4e6d35dd1d

i LOVE his look! where was he when i was looking for a small, prick earred, male smoothie! not sorry for my choice (tri, small, prick earred, semi smooth girl), but like potato chips, i wish i could have more. blame hubby.

has a cattle dog aura to him. i think it's the "i'm about to get up to something" grin.

Sure looks like BC to me. I have 3 rough coat dogs with wavey hair. So his fur doesn't seem far off.

I love the ears!

Love his relaxing pool picture. To CUTE!

Good luck on finding his forever home, I'm sure his family is out there, they just haven't found him yet.

Archived