BC Boards

Taking a trip to see snow

Hello Happy New Year to everyone!

I am planning on taking a family trip to the mountains where my son and Lynus can go experience snow for the first time. For my dog do i need to do anything special to keep him safe? example does he need something to cover his paws? etc... any input would be much appreciated.. we dont get to see snow very often so im totally clueless about what to do for my dog!

Thank you!

Kris

FWIW, I never cover my dog's paws in the snow and they have to go out in it to play and do their business every winter. Last year we had four feet and I never put anything on them or did anything special for them.

My oldest does get ice balls in his paws when he goes out in icy snow. I'm not really sure why he gets them and the others don't. I just pull them out when he comes in and he's fine.

You might take along some extra blankets and towels for him for the ride home, but your dog should be fine.

Enjoy the snow.

My dogs spend most of the winter in snow. In fact, I'd take a drive just to see bare, dry ground! :lol:

Unless it's down to the single digits, I'd say all you need are some towels to dry your dog off with, and maybe some warm bedding for the drive home. Just don't let him run out on any frozen ponds or lakes, in case the ice is too thin.

Have fun! :)

Cheers ~

Gloria

I would send you all the snow you could possibly want and then some, if I had box big enough. Thenyou wouldn't need to travel at all!

There is nothing you have to do. If he walks on a sidewalk that's been salted or treated with some sort of melter/deicer, then I suggest you wipe off his paws, but other than the blankets suggested, there's nothing you have to do.

I never even considered what questions someone who is not used to snow might have. LOLOL. --- not after living in a snowbound environment -- and not only as we speak, but for most of my life. My dogs love the snow. They come alive in it and it wears them out. I can't imagine a lifestyle where snow is optional. :lol:

You can have ours! There is a blizzard trying to blow our house away, and I am just back from feeding the sheep and horses, that was quite an adventurous little trip....

We have no radio and television reception, the gale probably damaged/whiped away the broadcasting antenna. luckily we still have electricity, 7,9,13 as the icelanders say (= knock on wood).

We went out towards Tahoe for some recreational snow back in November. I worried about my dog not being acclimated to the cold and having short, thin fur, so I brought a jacket for her. I think she appreciated it on the multi-hour hike in belly-deep (for her) snow, but it wasn't necessary for shorter trips out. Since she doesn't have any real feathering, we didn't have snowballs, but did meet an aussie who was covered in them. Extra towels are always good. Have fun!

My only advice would be to watch him. If he starts to shiver or slows down while playing and chasing snow he could be cold. Hypothermia is different in every human and every dog....but if he is playing, running normal, and just having fun let them go...then a warm blanket and warm treat to warm them up inside...have fun...ps we are only expecting 4-6 inches of new snow here....our 2 dogs don't wear coats or booties....and sometimes it's a real chore to pull them from the snow...they love it...thanks...Greg

Thank you guys so much for all the input! warm blankets and towels will be packed! And i will carefully watch him as well...

If you want pack up that snow and mail it over!!! ill take it all! :D

Thanks again!

I live in Massachusetts and have had many dogs, but this particular dog I have now is less snow-tolerant than any others. (Pupped in Puerto Rico - maybe that's it?) Anyway, he is highly INTOLERANT of snow balls in his feet (gets them constantly and must have them removed), extremely cold roads (lifts his feet and simply refuses to walk) and any sort of salt treatment (must be brought into clean snow immediately to wash the salt off).

High maintenance, for sure. Just wanted to give you a heads-up, in case your dog looked as dramatically wounded while prancing about in snow as my dog does. :)

I do put Musher's Secret on his paws in conditions that typically make his paws hurt - but I wouldn't buy any just for a quick trip to the mountains. Most dogs around here are fine in snow.

Mary

We used to live in SoCal and used to take our mix lab to the mountains every year to play in the snow. Just didn't stay out in it very long as I usually got cold before she did. The suggestions for blankets and emergency gear is the best one; also remember to bring water.

Want snow? Come to Connecticut. We had a blizzard on Decmeber 27th. Last Friday, we got 9 inches of snow, followed by another 2 inches on Saturday; tonight into tomorrow, they are forecasting 18 to 24 inches of snow. Of course, the snow from the 27th still hasn't completely melted because we have had highs hovering at 30 degrees F, so we are running out of places to put the snow. Poor Annie is about to have a nervous breakdown; she loves snow, but this is ridiculous, and it wreaks havoc with her outdoor ball playing (as well as being able to comfortably relieve herself)!

Want snow? Come to Connecticut. We had a blizzard on Decmeber 27th. Last Friday, we got 9 inches of snow, followed by another 2 inches on Saturday; tonight into tomorrow, they are forecasting 18 to 24 inches of snow. Of course, the snow from the 27th still hasn't completely melted because we have had highs hovering at 30 degrees F, so we are running out of places to put the snow. Poor Annie is about to have a nervous breakdown; she loves snow, but this is ridiculous, and it wreaks havoc with her outdoor ball playing (as well as being able to comfortably relieve herself)!

My Southern-born-and-raised son is experiencing New York snows in his first year of college. He was shocked that the current snow didn't go away before the next round hit. It sounds like it's affecting him the same way as poor Annie (except the "relieving" part.....I hope).

Hope you are okay today -- we just got the leeward edge of it -- about five inches..... classes were NOT canceled. Hope my students show up! Intersession classes are sometimes felt to be "optional"...!

Stay safe and as my grandmother used to say, "We're one day closer to spring!"

Back on topic -- I've noticed, especially with Ladybug that it's important to hustle her right back into get her back into a warm place after a romp outside. She's an older Ladybug now and gets chilled very easily after heating up. She is a dog that's used to seasons, and snow, and used not to mind it.

Liz

My Southern-born-and-raised son is experiencing New York snows in his first year of college. He was shocked that the current snow didn't go away before the next round hit.

LOL! Wouldn't that be lovely?

They keep saying 12 - 18" here today, but I think we had 18" 2 hours ago. We'll see...

Poor dog can't get off the deck; the snow is too deep and his legs ache a bit now.

Mary

Archived