BC Boards

need board MOJO again

We got up this morning to find that Lily the LGD has been hit by a car. I think it was an empty trialer that I herad last night. My DS said he heard a scream late in the night and I heard the bump of an empty trailer. No one stopped so we'll never know.

Looks like she has a broken ankel/foot. She's at the vet now.

She's not a car chaser, sometimes she'll trot along side a vechicle like she's saying hi. It would make since that it was dark and she didn't see the trailer behind the car.

Poor baby. she is so sweet, all she did was cry a bit when we picked her up and put her in the car. She was behind the house in her hidey hole so I know she can move. She also helped us get her in the vet. We made a sling and she pretty much walked with the help of the sling.

I'll let you know how she is later today.

Sitting on pins and needles waiting for the vet to call.

Sending healing thoughts and mojo to Lily, poor thing!

So it's not good news. It's Lil's hip, cracked all the way through on the right side. Doc recomends a Femoral head ostectomy for best and quickest recovery. Otherwise we're looking at a plate, long term healing and lots of rehab which would be very hard to do on such a big dog plus early onset arthritis.

So we've decided to do that surgery. They are going to do it tomorrow! I think we'll be spending Christmas at home this year or at least Christmas eve. They think they can have her ready to come home by noon tomorrow. They don't even want me to put her in a crate, no restrictions at all except what she does herself and they want me to have her up and walking as much as I can imediately.

I'm still a bit freaked out.

Keep the mojo coming for my bil ol' girl.

So it's not good news. It's Lil's hip, cracked all the way through on the right side. Doc recomends a Femoral head ostectomy for best and quickest recovery. Otherwise we're looking at a plate, long term healing and lots of rehab which would be very hard to do on such a big dog plus early onset arthritis.

So we've decided to do that surgery. They are going to do it tomorrow! I think we'll be spending Christmas at home this year or at least Christmas eve. They think they can have her ready to come home by noon tomorrow. They don't even want me to put her in a crate, no restrictions at all except what she does herself and they want me to have her up and walking as much as I can imediately.

I'm still a bit freaked out.

Keep the mojo coming for my bil ol' girl.

Gosh. Kind of not so good news thing but it sure could have been worse. My Ellie was hit by a UPS truck before I got her. She had a broken hip and pelvis. The vet did that same surgery. And then he called me and I took her home with me. The previous owners wanted to have her put to sleep.

She is 12 now and she gets around pretty well. And no arthritis that I can tell so far. I was so afraid that I would hurt her that I did not move her new joint enough and she ended up with a some shorter muscles on that side so she has always had a slight limp. So don't make that mistake.

Well, as an old vet I used to work with likes to say, "God makes 'em with 3 legs & a spare." So hopefully Lily will handle surgery well & will soon be chasing the coyotes away. As others have said, having her up & moving is what helps the false joint to form (scar tissue). So do not be afraid let her move around. And you wont have to worry about arthritis in the hip because there will not a be a joint anymore.

Good luck!

Archived